Blower Heater Fan
  • Help
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    toowoomba
    Posts
    62

    Default Blower Heater Fan

    Hi guys I have 2004 Citroen C5 I had problem with heater blower Fan not working I have now replaced the fan and I have also replaced the heater Resistor but still the fan does not work, any ideas where i should be looking now or where to start also the fan symbol in the car comes on and stays as if the fan is working but it not working I am totally confused.

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Member martook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coomba Park NSW
    Posts
    90

    Default

    I had the fan not working problem in my 03 c5 fixed it by replacing the resistor module, was the resistor you fitted a new one? as they only last about 3 years one importer had 30 on back order! other than that I suggest you go to the UK citroen owners club site- c5 forum and put in a search about heater fans,thats where I found the information to repair mine. ps dealer price for the resistor $175 French Connection $110.

    regards

    brian
    2008 ford Mondeo 2ltr turbo diesel + 6 speed alsin g/box
    1979 cx c-matic
    1977 cx 5 speed
    2000 peugeot 306 convertable
    1978 peugeot 604 sl
    2005 c5 (wrecking)
    2003 c5 auto (wrecking)
    2001 c5 5 speed
    1960 Renault floride under restoration

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    toowoomba
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Yes the Resistor Module was Brand new So I am still baffled to where to begin looking it probably going to be something simple I bet

  4. #4
    JBN
    JBN is offline
    1000+ Posts JBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by finny12 View Post
    Yes the Resistor Module was Brand new So I am still baffled to where to begin looking it probably going to be something simple I bet
    Yep. Wrong brand of car. Citroen make a habit of having non-working heater blower fans. I have had 2 BXs and a Xantia that had the family disease and it would seem that by not wearing a condom, the next generation has been infected as well.

    John

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,192

    Default

    Bad replacement module? Was the plug melted - on the module or on the harness? Make sure it makes contact wit the pins and that none of the pins is misaligned. There can be enough heat to cause a dry joint on the circuit board.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    toowoomba
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Ok Thanks I will take a closer look to see if anything is melted I didnot notice anything melted on the resister Module but will check the plug and have a closer inspection

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    2,797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martook View Post
    I had the fan not working problem in my 03 c5 fixed it by replacing the resistor module, was the resistor you fitted a new one? as they only last about 3 years one importer had 30 on back order! other than that I suggest you go to the UK citroen owners club site- c5 forum and put in a search about heater fans,thats where I found the information to repair mine. ps dealer price for the resistor $175 French Connection $110.
    regards brian
    Hi
    In the interests of fairness I must say that my resistor module is still working after 11+ years. Never been replaced to my knowlege. some of the other problems but not that one,---- yet ?

    Jaahn

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! flipperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    Posts
    417

    Default

    I once had a fan that never worked, but i can't remember her name.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    toowoomba
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Hi David no plug was not melted I have had the fan checked it works fine I have had the Resistor module checked I put it into another C5 worked fine so my step is now is the Auto Electrician to see what they say

  10. #10
    JBN
    JBN is offline
    1000+ Posts JBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by finny12 View Post
    Hi David no plug was not melted I have had the fan checked it works fine I have had the Resistor module checked I put it into another C5 worked fine so my step is now is the Auto Electrician to see what they say
    Eff Off is generally what auto electricians say when you bring them a Citroen.

    John

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    toowoomba
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Most of the auto electrician up here are fairly good they will tell you who does the work on them around town there is three I know of that do work on Citroen and other European cars so i should be able to get the answer it probably something very simple

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts George 1/8th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria.
    Posts
    1,390

    Default

    Finny,
    try what I occasionally do in my Xantia, grab the fan control slider and repeatedly slide it back and forth rapidly for about 2 minutes...this scrapes the contacts in the slider. It usually works for me.
    And one other real possibility, if the circuit engineers were the same clowns who did the series one Xantia ignition switch, you might have success by doing what I did....remove the steering wheel, remove the column cowling, remove and disconnect the entire ignition switch, then....Dismantle the switch, keep careful note of every little part that comes out, where it went, and what it did. Clean every switch contact surface, reassemble the switch, refit the switch, the cowling, the steering wheel.
    That should keep you occupied for half a day, and fix the problem.
    Cheers...George 1/8th

  13. #13
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    2,797

    Default No No No !!

    Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th View Post
    Finny,
    try what I occasionally do in my Xantia, grab the fan control slider and repeatedly slide it back and forth rapidly for about 2 minutes...this scrapes the contacts in the slider. It usually works for me.
    And one other real possibility, if the circuit engineers were the same clowns who did the series one Xantia ignition switch, you might have success by doing what I did....remove the steering wheel, remove the column cowling, remove and disconnect the entire ignition switch, then....Dismantle the switch, keep careful note of every little part that comes out, where it went, and what it did. Clean every switch contact surface, reassemble the switch, refit the switch, the cowling, the steering wheel.
    That should keep you occupied for half a day, and fix the problem.
    Cheers...George 1/8th
    Hi
    Sorry George 1/8th none of those things will work with the switches in a C5. The multiplexed circuits mean the dash switch does not actually turn on any items They only send a signal to the body computer which turns things on by remote control. So there would be a relay somewhere on the body computer board which would be a place to start looking. Called the Built-in Systems Interface, What else would you call it ?? Any other items not working, checked the fuses etc I guess. There are plenty of them in the car and under the bonnet as well. The Haynes manual has a page diagram "typical heater blower" which I could scan if you wish.
    Jaahn

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    toowoomba
    Posts
    62

    Default

    It at the auto electrician now should have it back in a couple of hours he has a fair idea what is wrong so hopefully it wont cost me very much. Well back from the auto electrician still does not work he said he was getting some strange reading the computer was impulsing so he going to do some more research on what is going on
    Last edited by finny12; 4th March 2013 at 06:18 PM.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    toowoomba
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by finny12 View Post
    Hi guys I have 2004 Citroen C5 I had problem with heater blower Fan not working I have now replaced the fan and I have also replaced the heater Resistor but still the fan does not work, any ideas where i should be looking now or where to start also the fan symbol in the car comes on and stays as if the fan is working but it not working I am totally confused.
    Well it back to the Drawing board the auto Elect is stumped he was getting some strange reading from the computer it was impulsing and was unable to find what the problem was after 2 hours he reset the computer but still has made no difference the blower fan still does not work the symbol shows it working but it not does anybody have any ideas on where to look next or what to do

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •