Know this car?
  • Help

Thread: Know this car?

Icon14 Know this car?

Does anyone know this car please? Or know the owner?
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Citroen-L...item2c6c9396f8

Advertisement

I've a friend interested in buying a Traction Avant and this car interests him. It is however a long way to go to check it out so it would be great to have a bit more to go on

If you know the car or the owner and can give us some info please feel free to message me! Any assistance would be appreciated!

Know this car?-traction.jpg
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

it's the car for sale here and ebay isn't it ?? You can pick it as the wheels look like there cut down. It sure looks nice, best bet would be to pay a local knowledgeable traction person to look at it for you.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

The photo looks like a good straight car-------but look very closely. Be prepared to do a thorough strip down and rebuild to get the mechanicals right up to the mark. Nothing is worse to drive than a Traction with sloppy front end, steering, drive shafts and gearbox. many cars look pretty on the outside but can be dogs to drive. The good news is that unlike 20 years ago all of the parts to put things right are available, albeit at a cost. Even the special tools to work on the front end ( indispensable) are available.
    It is a matter of balancing price against desire, against enthusiasm and preparedness for hard work in order to be able to drive one of the all time great classic motor cars. These cars reveal a character that is hard to match in other vehicles!
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

Hi rmac,
    That looks like a traction that was sold early to mid last year out of a coastal or country area in Victoria? You would be best to contact some of the longer standing CCOCA people who are in the traction interest group, maybe via Ted Cross for example. The reference to Mel Carey indicates it has a Victorian link. I heard a story of a traction that was sold and immediately post sale had a major and very expensive failure that the new owner had to front up to. No idea if this is the same car or not, so read nothing into that, and anyway I believe the new owner "made it right".
    Cheers,
    Leconte
    1962 Heidelberg ID19 "Axel"
    1965 Heidelberg ID19
    half owner 1974 GS 1220 Convertisseur Break

I have just re purchased my original traction which I sold 14 years ago after buying and restoring it 25 years ago.It was mechanically in very good condition.
    In just 14 years the car still looks fine but even on superficial level has obviously not been maintained by anyone with knowledge.
    ie Wheel nuts done up with "rattle gun" so some stripped, others with no flats,on every wheel , radiator system enclosed god knows what happens to pressure, Puncture repair with tube (15in) stuck to tyre , lucas side lights mangled to accommodate blinkers which you can't see, broken manifold stud probably tightened to stop a leak etc,and I am sure I will find more this is only what I can see !!!
    So be very very weary
    The appearance is about 20 percent at best
    1950 Light 15 - Blanche 'Claude'
    1949 Light 15 - Noir 'Emilie'
    1982 2CV Special - Lagune Bleu 'Daffie'
    2007 C4 HDI EGS - Rouge Lucifer
    1968 Velo Solex 3800 - Noir

Default Light 15

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    The photo looks like a good straight car-------but look very closely. Be prepared to do a thorough strip down and rebuild to get the mechanicals right up to the mark. Nothing is worse to drive than a Traction with sloppy front end, steering, drive shafts and gearbox. many cars look pretty on the outside but can be dogs to drive. The good news is that unlike 20 years ago all of the parts to put things right are available, albeit at a cost. Even the special tools to work on the front end ( indispensable) are available.
    It is a matter of balancing price against desire, against enthusiasm and preparedness for hard work in order to be able to drive one of the all time great classic motor cars. These cars reveal a character that is hard to match in other vehicles!
    The car is mine - and it looks like a straight car because it is a straight car. It does not need a strip down or rebuild because that's all been done. It drives like a Citroen should... nor is it the problematic car from Victoria mentioned in another post!

Quote Originally Posted by bobsie View Post
    I have just re purchased my original traction which I sold 14 years ago after buying and restoring it 25 years ago.It was mechanically in very good condition.
    In just 14 years the car still looks fine but even on superficial level has obviously not been maintained by anyone with knowledge.
    ie Wheel nuts done up with "rattle gun" so some stripped, others with no flats,on every wheel , radiator system enclosed god knows what happens to pressure, Puncture repair with tube (15in) stuck to tyre , lucas side lights mangled to accommodate blinkers which you can't see, broken manifold stud probably tightened to stop a leak etc,and I am sure I will find more this is only what I can see !!!
    So be very very weary
    The appearance is about 20 percent at best
    Is that the black 1948 Robin? i always loved the that car. You did a great job on it. Whats the general condition now apart from the tales of woe described? Is it still shiny black!!
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Quote Originally Posted by acreid View Post
    The car is mine - and it looks like a straight car because it is a straight car. It does not need a strip down or rebuild because that's all been done. It drives like a Citroen should... nor is it the problematic car from Victoria mentioned in another post!
    I am glad that you can vouch for the car. I do not mean to criticise it----merely to point out that too often the case is that appearances can be deceptive and that any buyer of a Traction needs to be fully aware of the pitfalls that may await.
    Cheers Gerry

This query was to elicit some informed, independent opinion on the specific car mentioned. That the owner is an aussiefrogger has been a bonus. The more general advice on potential pitfalls with this model is appreciated also as neither the mate interested in the car, nor myself, have any knowledge of the Traction Avant.
    Once again aussiefrogs have been 'Sharing the knowledge' Thanks!
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Quote Originally Posted by Trading Estate View Post
    Is that the black 1948 Robin? i always loved the that car. You did a great job on it. Whats the general condition now apart from the tales of woe described? Is it still shiny black!!
    Yes that car David, it badly needs painting but is still rust free , that is a real bonus.
    Mechanically is seems OK but closer inspection will be required, given the obvious neglect in some areas.
    My intention is to refurbish it rather than restore it (as I did before) as it still has some of its original equipment ie back seat , door trims all in acceptable condition. Plus those unique features of the immediate post war cars
    1950 Light 15 - Blanche 'Claude'
    1949 Light 15 - Noir 'Emilie'
    1982 2CV Special - Lagune Bleu 'Daffie'
    2007 C4 HDI EGS - Rouge Lucifer
    1968 Velo Solex 3800 - Noir

Robin I have 8 BM style wheel nuts with the collars if you want them. I think that car had those french style rims. let me know.
    David
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by acreid View Post
    I thought it was yours. Looks good - to my non Traction trained eyes.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information