C5 2.2hdi 2006 smashed! Wreck or repair?
  • Help

Default C5 2.2hdi 2006 smashed! Wreck or repair?

Just after some advice guys my mate run his C5 up a ute last night, damaged looks worse than it is, no mechanical damage, slam panel hasn't moved, wings are clean too all it needs is
    2 headlights, bumper an bonnet.

Advertisement

Trouble is I can't find one wrecking anywhere I Dunno we're to get the parts from.

He will spend upto $1500 to get the parts he needs, has anyone got them or know who has? Doesn't care if its different colour.
    Either that or wreck it, engine only has 116k just had full timing belt kit done runs sweet as. What's it worth in bits?

thanks guys

C5 2.2hdi 2006 smashed! Wreck or repair?-image.jpg

Fellow Frogger

Try Tom Dolan at Citromet in Lidcombe as I believe he has one, maybe two facelifted cars to part out. Otherwise, Sydney Wide European Autos and Riverside Spares are worth a try. Are the headlamps actually smashed (can't really tell from one tiny image) or have they just lost the mounts? If it's got the turning Xenon headlamps, they will be very pricey, but it looks like it's a 4 speed car going by the black bumper insert, so they are probably normal halogens.

1000+ Posts

I have only just "discovered" this mob:

http://www.eurocarparts.com.au/europeandisman

They are currently wrecking half a dozen C5s, surely they can't all have had front-end smashes!

Cheers

Alec

1000+ Posts

Hi-Do not know if 'Young Dave @ French Connection can help but if not speak to Steve @ Allstatescarsales-03 9587 5828.If he does not have anything He will re-direct you.

Cheers,

Pekay.

Sounds like your mate[sadly] did not have any Insurance.Oh Boy.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Try Tom Dolan at Citromet in Lidcombe as I believe he has one, maybe two facelifted cars to part out. Otherwise, Sydney Wide European Autos and Riverside Spares are worth a try. Are the headlamps actually smashed (can't really tell from one tiny image) or have they just lost the mounts? If it's got the turning Xenon headlamps, they will be very pricey, but it looks like it's a 4 speed car going by the black bumper insert, so they are probably normal halogens.
    The lights are totalled and are halogen yes and i can get them brand new for 200 UK Pounds delievered around $360 so thats good
    but iv'e called just about every euro car breaker (for bonnet, bumper) i can find and none of them have facelift citroens.

We might just end up wrecking it, any bids for engine? leather seats? etc

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post

Sounds like your mate[sadly] did not have any Insurance.Oh Boy.
    Nah he didn't, third party only, luckily the ute had no damage anyway so he just give him some beer money and he was on his way

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    I have only just "discovered" this mob:

http://www.eurocarparts.com.au/europeandisman

They are currently wrecking half a dozen C5s, surely they can't all have had front-end smashes!

Cheers

Alec
    ASV were my first choice, but all they C5's are mk1's

Tadpole

Hi... if you need something that can be posted, try Volks Torque in Lonsdale, SA. He does VW and Citroen, has a lot of C5s.

Fellow Frogger!

I am pretty sure that Tom Dolan at Citromet in Larra street yennora was wrecking one of these newer shape C5s.

Thanks for everyone's input guys here's were I am so far :--

Ok so ended up buying the car from my friend he couldn't be bothered fixing it an just wanted rid so I snapped it up for a good price

I called Tom Dolan at Yennora and grabbed 2 front lights that he had. A nice bonus is that they are the Xenon versions! I didn't realise until I got home and compared the difference in how the lights look. Plugged them in and they look great an nice cool blue I suppose now technically I need to install the headlight washers to make them legal but that's for another day.
    Tom is a great guy btw, very helpful I'm taking the C5 to him next week for new discs and pads and general health check.

I also managed to find a bumper and bonnet from volkstorque, Lonsdale and they are now on there way to me. It's also from a exclusive C5 so it has the front Parkin sensors in the bumper, I wonder what's involved to get these working? Mine doesn't have the rear sensor either so I pressume I'd need wiring looms and a module of some sort but again that's for another day.

My main concern at the moment is this strange air intake system the 2.2hdi has seems there's a air intercooler and water intercooler. Martin at volkstourqe warned me of it saying he knows of countless 2.2 engines getting destroyed because of this. After abit of research a few people have said that the water intercooler can break down inside and leak coolant which gets sucked up via the air intake and hydro locks the engine.
    Has anyone had this problem or know of someone who has? A option I have Is to delete the water cooler altogether by connecting the coolant pipes together and air pipers and removing the cooler completely. Has anyone done this? Any affects to the engine running?

Thanks

Fellow Frogger

Do you mean they have those Xenon globes that people retrofit to Halogen enclosures or are they the turning Xenon projector headlamps? You would presumably need more parts to make them turn and self level correctly. So, are they locked straight ahead?

Parking sensors may or may not be factory items, so check before buying any more bits.

Bypassing the heat exchanger with a length of water hose is a smart idea if you want to prevent a potential problem. As you've had a front end bingle, be especially careful of this. Pressure testing the cooling system and then starting the car can cause the problem too if the exchanger is weak or leaking.

Also pull the seal out of the 2 pin plug on top of the fuel filter as they sometimes leak into the engine harness, which has an expensive outcome.

Hi sorry for the late reply been very busy lately as my gf gave birth 2 weeks ago to a beautiful baby girl, i'm a dad woooo!

With help from my dad the car is now back together and looks very good, can't tell even (apart from the black bumper + bonnet).

We also bypassed the water inter-cooler and a good bloody job we did! It had started to leak and i had traces of coolant right up to the intake butterfly valve. We removed all the intake piping and cleaned and when i get the time i'm gonna take it to Tom Dolan so he can remove the inlet manifold for me and i'll leave the car there over night while i take it home and clean it because its a little gunked up.
    For anyone with this 2.2HDI engine please check this! my car only has 117K and could have potentially been destroyed, its really easy to check remove the air pipe directly after the inter-cooler and have a look inside and check the pipe, if you see any green then get rid or replace it! Removing it hasn't effected my engine running in any way, i checked the butterfly valve for that intake and its never open, even from a cold start or 200km journey?.

As you can see they are not the Xenon globes, there are original Citroen Xenon headlights and look super cool at night i managed to source some headlight washers that clip on underneath the headlight itself and will be plumbing them up this weekend. They don't self level or turn but they are locked slightly dipped down and straight, there is a manual level adjuster on them anyway.

C5 2.2hdi 2006 smashed! Wreck or repair?-img_0641.jpgC5 2.2hdi 2006 smashed! Wreck or repair?-img_0639.jpgC5 2.2hdi 2006 smashed! Wreck or repair?-img_0640.jpg

But that leaves me with alittle problem, before i found these headlights from Tom Dolan, 2 days prior i ordered a brand new halogen units from the UK that just arrived this morning I only grabbed the Xenon ones because i needed the car back on the road and i got them so cheap so these halogen ones are up for sale to anyone who wants/needs them.

They cost me 230pound delivered to a UK address (my mum) because i couldn't get any UK seller to ship to me direct purely because of risk of damage and expense. I then had my mum pack and rap them in hard plastic boxes and she shipped them over to me.
    Total cost was 230pound for lights + 190pound packing and shipping that converts to about $600 which is a fraction of the price they would cost here new. If anyone is interested please pm me.

C5 2.2hdi 2006 smashed! Wreck or repair?-img_0651.jpgC5 2.2hdi 2006 smashed! Wreck or repair?-img_0652.jpgC5 2.2hdi 2006 smashed! Wreck or repair?-img_0653.jpgC5 2.2hdi 2006 smashed! Wreck or repair?-img_0654.jpgC5 2.2hdi 2006 smashed! Wreck or repair?-img_0655.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    By the way Tom Dolan isn't at Lidcombe anymore; hasn't been for years, but thanks for pointing me in his direction.

Citromet
    46 Larra St.
    Yennora
    Ph:02 9721 1889

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by Matt2905 View Post
    By the way Tom Dolan isn't at Lidcombe anymore; hasn't been for years, but thanks for pointing me in his direction.

Citromet
    46 Larra St.
    Yennora
    Ph:02 9721 1889
    You are right. Moved there some years ago. Tom was in Glebe before that. Lucky I didn't send you there!

Good job and congratulations. The C5 should be good as a family car.

I see the donor was black. So, the car is merely 'black and blue', not battered!

Haha yes! Its a very nice car I've always loved Citroens every since my 1.5D AX my first car in the UK.
    The gf doesn't like it so much and i nearly sold it at the weekend! but i managed to talk her round especially with the new born and how this is one of the safest cars they could be in. She doesn't like it because she doesn't know the name and all her friends have Honda's or Mazda's but she'll learn to like it either that or theres always the bus .

Have another issue at the moment with the common swirl valve problem breaking at the plastic ball joint. Have the valve cable tied open for top end power but i really need to get it fixed, i have a new diaphragm and have tried to have ago at fitting with the help of Justin's guide Citroen C5 Swirl Valve Actuator Replacement however its a real PITA i can't get to the torx heads with my big hands.

Its a shame Justin's up in Queensland cause he'd happily help me out. Has anyone else had any experience changing one of these and would like to help me out thats closer? Otherwise i think its gonna be another job for Tom.

Hi Matt,
    Congrats on your daughter. Now it wont just be your Citroen giving you sleepless nights!
    You should note that I'm a Veterinarian with no mechanical training and was able to work out how to replace the diaphragm valve from first principles. It wasn't that hard. There also wasn't much that could be damaged by having a go. There was really no disassembly, just undoing fixators to move parts out of the way.

Justin

Thread Information