C5 V6 Exclusive 2002 - colour screen gone blank. Help!
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default C5 V6 Exclusive 2002 - colour screen gone blank. Help!

My 2002 V6 is still alive after 165K however needs a new timing belt and also various leaks fixed which is going to be expensive. The colour screen that has the sat nav, radio, information, etc. has just gone blank. The radio still works but the cd player doesn't. I have been trying to find out what the problem could be and have read some posts about the display ECU packing up which has been related to heat and humidity (quite a lot of this lately). I have no idea about how to fix this or what it might cost, etc. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

Time to trade? Is the "New Car" light lit?

The CD players sometimes don't eject because part of the eject mechanism breaks. It can be repaired, but that may not be your problem if it doesn't respond at all. The navigation screen is an unusual option in the earlier cars, so I'd be taking it to an experienced dealer for a check. Maybe, it simply has a bad connection? Have you checked the relevant fuses?

Tadpole

The car is the Exclusive model with all the bells and whistles incl. sat nav, phone (never use), etc. The CD player is OK and there is no dedicated fuse for the screen. I have read on overseas forums that the display ECU can fail and reports of a German company that repairs/exchanges it for 500 Euro. I would say the local "genuine" Citroen part would be ridiculously expensive.
    This does bring the obvious question of whether "times up" however I'm sentimentally attached to it and also it does everything I want in a car (apart from go all the time). Resetting the battery has been suggested which I'll try. The car has been serviced by Tom Dolan however I'm on the central coast and have tried Gosford European Car Services and been impressed. I've had no luck with the Citroen dealer here. Any other suggestions appreciated.

Fellow Frogger

You could try Gosford, but if you are driving as far as Tom Dolan, then you might also consider McCarrolls or Continental Cars. It might simply be kaput, but of the remaining Sydney region dealers, Continentals may be the better choice for trying to revive it. If you needed to replace it, I expect a new unit from Citroen would cost a fair portion of the value of the car. Add the timing belt and hydraulic leaks and there could be a fair bit to spend.

Early C5's what joy!!
    (sorry, no ideas beyond cutting losses and going into the wrecking business which could be profitable}
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

VIP Sponsor

I would suggest visiting an authorized dealer and having them plug their diagnostic unit in... That's the only 'certain' way to know. Don't want to appear 'negative here' but I would suspect liquid crystal display failure ( they don't like our extreme sun) and if it is you could be looking at $2,000 to $3,000 to replace. I had one last year and bought a second hand Display, but when I installed it I found it was 'not compatible' with my Vin number!..... I sent car to auto auction.

Fellow Frogger!

Default C5

Hi possibly worst car I have ever owned.

I had nothing but hassle.

If you must keep take to somewhere where they can do full diagnosis and supply parts at cost.

Sounds like it needs a new ecu. I had two for a while a four which I bought new and a six, which I got at 50000ks. Full books and lovely to look at and drive. When problems started with the six they were in earnest.

If you must keep get to McCarrolls if in Sydney. Say it is a lemon and hope they look after you.

They said to me when weird things like this start to go it is time to change ecu. They can do a non genuine so get from them. They are big and can source from PRC or wherever.

Chris M

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Slater View Post
    I would suggest visiting an authorized dealer and having them plug their diagnostic unit in... That's the only 'certain' way to know. Don't want to appear 'negative here' but I would suspect liquid crystal display failure ( they don't like our extreme sun) and if it is you could be looking at $2,000 to $3,000 to replace. I had one last year and bought a second hand Display, but when I installed it I found it was 'not compatible' with my Vin number!..... I sent car to auto auction.
    I'm with Rod. I have spent fruitless hours at wreckers looking for the dashboard LCD for other owners. It seems that they were the first part to be ratted.
    I sent my early C5 to the wreckers - just too full of niggling issues to be worth the time or trouble. Some were safety issues so I wouldn't wish it onto anyone else by auction. The generous trade in and government bonus helped to get me into trouble free motoring in a new Honda. Two and a half years now with no warrant claims, no faults, just an annual service.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

This sounds like a car with the rare full colour display on the dash...

I know this sounds dumb, but have you checked the fuses?
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Thread Information