Xantia anti-sink problem
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Xantia anti-sink problem

My son's Series II Xantia wagon sinks like a BX at the rear when parked. Presumably the rear anti-sink valve is not closing properly.

Can the anti-sink valve be cleaned/overhauled? Or is it best to hunt down a working 2nd hand one.

Is the same anti-sink valve used in all later Xantias? Or would I be looking for a wagon-specific unit?

Cheers

Alec

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

I have checked Citroen service box, using VINs from my series I VSX hatch and the son's Series II SX wagon. The pictures of the anti-sink valves look identical, but the part number is slightly different (and the Series I item is NFP ) - anyone know if they are interchangeable?

Looking at the picture, it doesn't look as if it's designed to be dismantled and overhauled (unlike the rear height corrector).

Cheers

Alec

Fellow Frogger

You can open them by unscrewing the plug with the round head, but the green o-ring is a hard rubber, unlike most o-rings you will encounter. It may well be quite dirty inside. There is an odd shaped small siamesed seal inside (it's on the short piston in the picture) and I don't know where you'd find it. You may well be able to get a new one from O/S, but I doubt the locals would have anything but used. I'd thought the porting differed slightly from front to back, which may explain the different part numbers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Xantia anti-sink problem-whatpart.jpg  

1000+ Posts

Thanks David - that's brilliant! Pretty certain I wouldn't get the seals/O-rings from Citroen - their service database just shows the complete unit...

Cheers

Alec

What about the anti sink sphere. If that is flat anti sink won't work
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

1000+ Posts

OK... All spheres were tested & regassed/replaced etc. by DS motors (Brisbane) last winter, so I was discounting flat spheres from the equation. Worth a look though!

Thanks

Alec

Fellow Frogger

Chatting to a technician today ... it could be a suspension ram leaking internally. It's going to be non-Hydractive, so you could unplug both return lines at the boot and see whether one side leaks a lot.

While in the general area, have you ever had the two 3-way unions on top of the rear beam replaced? One is blue, the other is orange and they have a habit of perishing and then leaking a lot. If they are old, they are likely to break when you tug on the piping, so be careful. It seems these 3-way unions should always be replaced as a pair.

1000+ Posts

Oh - & here was me thinking this would be simple! My '97 VSX has never had any problems with leaks (or sinking) at the rear, so have never learnt about rear 3-way unions (there's a green one forward of the centre that I did have to be replaced...).

Unfortunately it'll be a little while before I can check any of these ideas - the car's in Murrumbateman (about 700 km away) - but at least I know not to rush into buying parts until we get a proper diagnosis (yeah I know - that's always the right thing to do ).

These rear 3-way unions - I think I remember reading (might have been a post from Addo?) that you actually have to drop the rear beam to get access? Sigh...

Cheers

Alec
    Last edited by Armidillo; 19th February 2013 at 11:30 PM.

Fellow Frogger

The 3-ways are different colours because the ports are different diameter return tubing. The green 3-way up front is on series 1 cars, but it became part of the rubber piping in later cars. You need to remove the spare wheel carrier and preferably the rear muffler to get at the blue and orange unions at the back, but you don't need to drop the beam. You'd preferably have a hoist though as it's going to be a bit fiddly without one.

Fellow Frogger!

All three unions can be replaced using plastic "T" or "Y" pieces used for connecting emission tubing & Tygon fuel hose. The connectors will be available from your friendly auto parts supplier, the yellow Tygon tubing from a Hydraulics repairer or mower shop [ brushcutter / chain saw fuel line ] .
    You can do each side one at a time by lowering only one side of the subframe with the opposite side loosened only. Bugger of a job & small hands with eyes that see around corners a big help with a third hand to aim the torch !!!
    All part of the citroen Love / Hate relationship.

Richard

Thread Information