DS Handbrake
  • Help

Thread: DS Handbrake

Default DS Handbrake

OK, here's the story.

I'm most of the way through replacing the brake discs on Moby Dick.

The LH side, whilst difficult, was not insurmountable. The main issue being juggling the disc back in to position while keeping the pads in the handbrake caliper.

The RH side, having less available space to work in, is giving me lots of grief.

Does anyone have a cunning method of weaselling the RH handbrake caliper onto the disc without pads falling out and tempers fraying? Movement of the RH caliper is much more limited because of the main cable connection.

At present I've got the radiator, shroud and main calipers out. I've removed the clutch cable and hydraulic pump for a bit of extra space and disconnected the steering links for the same reason.

I'm beginning to wonder if the steering rack and cross member need to come out as well just so I can get two hands in there at the same time.

Advertisement

Worst case scenario wil be to remove the whole bloody power unit, but I really don't want to do that unless I absolutely have to.

Any suggestions gratefully received. In the meantime I'll go and have another crack now that I've calmed down a bit.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's) Grandma's Taxi
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick") Weekend Warrior
    2015 C4 Grand Picasso ("Pablo") Workhorse & Grandpa's Taxi
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned Traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Bonsai CX
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Can you glue the pads in ... blue tack, super glue ... something like that ?
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

gardening wire ... strap the pads in with it and remove when all is in position .. one snip and its gone

Thanks guys. I ended up using a bit of insulation tape to retain the anti-rattle springs, then just weaselled, swore, dropped bits, wangled, swore, and finally got it all in place.

I think we can agree that this is not one of the easier jobs in situ on a ds.

I've now got the new discs in place, the drive shafts on with new bolts and nuts and lock washers and the handbrake snugly adjusted to spec or slightly better. (I didn't have a 0.1 mm [4 thou] bit of shim, but I had some 2 thou so a slightly sliding fit should be kosher.

Now got to replace the main calipers, then the radiator, and a few other bits and bobs and I can fire it all up again.

Must admit I'm hanging out for the first run with my freshly re-gassed spheres, not to mention the modified rear damping.

In the meantime a shower has washed away the sweat, a beer has cleansed the palate and we're going out for a curry tonight.

It's all good.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

DX5
    Tadpole

Bit late for my info now, but I've been there and done that. Cow of a job! Coca-cola can side wall is the perfect shim for the handbrake pads... - of course other beverages are available but I cannot vouch for the can wall thickness!
    I elected to take the handbrake calipers off. Had to attack a socket with a hacksaw to get in for torquing the bolts on refit. It also helped undoing the front mount at the gearbox and shoving the lump over to get a few extra mm. A stud extractor to get the studs out of the gearbox flanges too is a good tool.

Spring compressor for the handbrake caliper springs picture attached - might help someone reading this thread - made in desperation as it is possible to pop the springs out with a bit of brute force but not pleasant returning them, also a pic of bleeding and squaring the main calipers to the new discs.

My gearbox output flange bearings are slightly tired (job for another day ), despite this I clocked the new discs as best I could to find the minimum run-out. For a little while, certain braking efforts would cause a juddering upfront. Bit unnerving at first. Pretty sure it was a question of the new pads getting bedded in to the new discs - all fine now after a few km . Be interesting to know how yours work in the brand new state?

Would be a walk in the park with the engine all out. Beggars can't be choosers!

Cheers,

Richard

DS Handbrake-img_0002.jpgDS Handbrake-img_0003.jpg

'74 DS23 IE "Cindy" aka "The Low-Flying Chevrons" aka " @*@*$%%__##%*%* THING! "

Nice work on the compressor. When I reassembled the handbrake cable assy after the engine out a couple of years ago I used large cable ties to pre squish the spring. Seemed to work at the time.

I had to unbolt both handbrake calipers to get the discs out. I guess if I'd undone the adjustment as far as it would go I might have been able to wiggle them free, but unbolting seemed the best solution.

Of course, that's easier said than done. The bolts on the RHS can only be accessed by a ringer from above or below, and then through only a few degrees of movement. One click of the ratchet at a time to remove or replace a bolt is tedious to say the least!

Never mind, they're done now.

Had to undo the gearbox mount to remove the main calipers, so I've tried the powerplant in various positions to get the best access.

Oh, and I've got stud extractors in both metric and imperial, but I've modified the drive flanges to 3 studs and 3 bolts screwed in from the back after losing a drive flange (and a disc) a year or two ago. So I needed all the space I could glean to weasel the disc past the studs.

Looking at your first photo makes me jealous. I don't think Moby has ever been that clean!

Thanks for the feedback guys, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Thread Information