Xantia mystery part
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Xantia mystery part

Earlier this week my Series 2 Xantia suddenly performed the dreaded LHM dump from somewhere in the region of the LHM reservoir.

Advertisement

The first sign was the smell of LHM, then the STOP light flickered. Fortunately I was in a spot where I could quickly park.

Once transported home I had a closer look and the LHM appeared to be pouring off the lower end of this front sphere distributor block (attached photo). At least I assume that's what the part is. Having removed the LHM reservoir today to get a better look at things, I note that the cap on the lower end is loose (i.e. easily turned by hand) and there's something green (a seal?) bulging out (arrowed).

Before I do anything I'd appreciate some advice on:
    1. what this part is.
    2. whether it's likely to be the source of the leak.
    3. if it is, why it might have suddenly decided to fail.
    4. how best to tackle its repair.

Chris
    Xantia mystery part-front-sphere-distributor.jpg

Fellow Frogger

It's the anti-sink valve and it's a common failure point. That is how they tend to fail and with the o-ring pushed out like that, it leaks rapidly. The o-ring is a hard rubber and not sold separately. You could try to match the o-ring, but it needs to be a similar hardness and you shouldn't be too surprised if it fails again. Best option is a new valve as it will also have new seals inside, which are an odd shape.

Can you get these new? Had the same problem and just went straight for one off a wreck
    cheers
    David
    2003 ML 320 Mercedes Benz

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for your comments, David S.

I've had an offer for a replacement O ring via a private email, but I also wonder where replacement valves might be sourced from in the event mine does need more than just an O ring replacement.

Chris

Fellow Frogger!

David S, Realising that I may be appearing to ignore your advice at my peril, I have obtained (via Consolidated Bearings) a viton o ring (OR18X2VITON - there are various other numbers on the plastic snap seal packet, which I suspect are of an administrative nature) which seems to have been sourced from Alliance Sealing Pty Ltd.

I've fitted it to the blank cap of the front anti-sink valve and so far so good, but based on your advice (and my recent experience of LHM gushing everywhere) this solution is intended to get the car off the front lawn and into a shed, where I'll park it.

I've been using the Xantia as a daily driver, but I simply don't have the time at the moment to do a repair which will give me the confidence to return it to that sort of service. A pity, because I like the Xantia - but I can't afford unreliable transport.

In the interim I'm driving my son's 240,000km Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo V6 auto dual cab. Apart from drinking fuel like it's going out of fashion, its auto has the same "I don't want to get out of first gear" cold start characteristic as the AL4 auto.

This morning I spent some time searching for relatively cheap and relaible alternate transport for myself and our office staff. I looked at new Corrolla, Mazda3 and Ford Focus. Being objective, I'm amazed at what you get for $25K these days (and $5K of that is taxes and government charges).

As I say, I want to like and drive Xantia - but when you don't have the spare time to do the tinkering I enjoy, pragmatism must come to the fore.

Thanks to those who have provided advice on this issue.

Chris

Thread Information