C5 2.0L 2004 Diesel power loss, particulant filter?
  • Help

Default C5 2.0L 2004 Diesel power loss, particulant filter?

Hi
    I have a have had this wonderful piece of machinery for 3-4 years now , then a 12 months ago it started to lose power comes up on display as ASR/ESP Anti-pollution fault.
    It feels like I have had it looked at almost every mechanic in Victoria including independent Citroen workshops. Brighton Citroen have seen it twice now and are booking it in for 2-3 days to have a deeper investigation, first they are going to pull of the exhaust and check its performance, without restriction.
    Do the participant filters give any trouble?
    The car has 200,000kms. Would appreciate any advise.

Advertisement

Hello Snooze.
    This problem has been on the forum in the past. The problem, in our case was resolved by replacing the MAF sensor on the air intake after the air filter. This device monitors the airflow into the engine and adjusts the mixture etc. into the engine via the central computer. IT IS a very important component. If the air/fuel mixture is out the anti pollution fault occurs. Google or Utube MAF and you will see lots of info. on the subject. There are 2 very fine ceramic wires inside the MAF (one of the wires was broken in ours) that have a electric current passing through them that measure the airflow into the motor. Allan.

Fellow Frogger

Being a 2004 model, your car doesn't have a particle filter, so it won't be that. It arrived with the facelifted cars in 2005.
    Have you got odd tyres or one tyre that's more worn than another? Check that as it can cause problems.
    Are any of the air hoses soggy or possibly collapsing under load? It can happen.
    You could also check the fuel pump supply wire at the fuse box is not burnt.

Hi Allan
    Thank you for your reply, I''ll give that a go for $50-100 it's got to be better than hours of work at $100+ an hour, even not the correct diagnosis it worth a go.
    Regards Damon.

Hi David S
    I have already had the fuel pump wire fault.
    Tyres all wearing evenly, do you mean that uneven tyre wear indicates suspension issues?
    Thank you for your reply,
    Regards Damon

Hello Damon. Remove the MAF. Look down the barrel and see if the wires are intact. If they are they may have some "gunge" on them, so get a special MAF aerosol cleaner from a car accessory shop and spray liberally. Dry off completely. It is a simple operation

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by Snooze View Post
    Hi David S
    I have already had the fuel pump wire fault.
    Tyres all wearing evenly, do you mean that uneven tyre wear indicates suspension issues?
    Thank you for your reply,
    Regards Damon
    No, the wheels will turn at different speeds and confuse the ABS. It can happen when there is an odd tyre on an axle pair.

Cleaning the MAF is a good idea, provided you are careful as it is actually quite a delicate part.

Is it doing anything else when it loses power? Belching smoke for example?

Hi David
    No smoke,
    surges under load on hills sometimes
    Surging on start up (idle) sometimes
    Complete loss off power foot flat to floor nothing, at low revs usually.sometimes.

Thanks Allan

My car has the same problem like your c5 atm. It only happen after I came back from my holiday. I took out the battery before I went on holiday. After I came back I connect the battery and i take the car out for a drive. Sometimes the car doesn't respond to the acceleration peddle. It stall. Then suddenly it rev over 2000rpm but the speed did not increase. I drive like 40kmh on freeway. The speed pick up after awhile. I was planning to call the mechanic tomorrow. But since I saw your post, I'll try to replace the air sensor and see how it goes.

The service light turn on and it said particle filter clogging warning.

Quote Originally Posted by froglegs View Post
    The service light turn on and it said particle filter clogging warning.
    Froglegs,
    you obviously have a later model with diesel particulate filter.
    What normally happens is that when required the ECU will cause the temperature of the filter to increase to burn off the particles. You generally have to go over 80kph for a while for this to happen. This is aided by the catalytic Eolys compound that is squirted into your fuel tank with every fill.
    It's possible the car sitting around has caused it to clog and the car is picking up increased pressure and causing limp mode. I would suggest you take it for a nice long high speed drive. If still no good it's possible your Eolys is empty. It's in a small tank on the LHS between the wheel arch and fuel tank. I generally needs refilling between 100 and 150K.
    It is possible the disconnect of battery may have caused an issue. may be worth making sure it is good and fully charged. Search to find more information on what you should do when you've disconnected the battery.

Thanks for the advice 456. I've solve the problem. My fuel filter was clogging up with sand. After I change it. the car is now back to normal. Plus I took it out for a long drive. The particle filter is now good. But the car seem to vibrate a lot when it reach the speed 90-105km. Passing the speed of 110km/hr or below 95km/hr the car seem smooth.
    Any suggestion?

Fellow Frogger!

Froglegs, could be a wheel balance issue.

Does sound like either a wheel balance, faulty tyre or worn component in the steering.
    Cars tend to have a resonant frequency where any imbalance in the steering or wheels will manifest so they will be worse at a certain speed.
    Suggest you first check all steering components for wear, jack each wheel up individually, check smoothness, bearing, roundless etc. If still no luck then get all the wheels checked for balance.

VIP Sponsor

I've had a couple of incidents where the turbo diesel lost power and a Pollution warning came on to screen... It was found to be a broken rod waste gate control.

Thread Information