C5 windscreen
  • Help

Thread: C5 windscreen

Default C5 windscreen

Has anyone replaced a windscreen on a first series C5? I would appreciate any info that might help to minimise the pain.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

Yes, make sure you get the correct one as there are two different arrangements for the light/rain sensors. It's a fairly standard cut out and glue in job.

My 2003 C5's windscreen was replaced without problem.

Could I get an idea of who you got to do the job and the price involved? Also, were your screens broken during driving, in the normal way? I ask because mine has a rapidly expanding crack that seems to have appeared out of nowhere.

Thanks for the replies.

Fellow Frogger!

just make sure they fit the correct screen, auto lights and wipers require a screen with paint cutouts for the sensors.

Fellow Frogger

I forget the cost, but it was of the order of $500. A crack is likely to spread from a small point of impact, so follow it and look for a defect. You can expect that a dealer will call in a mobile subcontractor to do the job, so you could ask them for a referral. Or ask a panel shop who they'd use to R&R glass during repairs and ask them for a quote. Check you insurance policy and see if it includes glass cover.

Quote Originally Posted by tazzy View Post
    just make sure they fit the correct screen, auto lights and wipers require a screen with paint cutouts for the sensors.
    ... but some have two separate sensors and others have a single unit, which is what I probably didn't make clear enough before.

Fellow Frogger!

I had the screen replaced on my 02 wagon. I had paid extra $50 for windscreen cover on my insurance so the replacement cost me $0. It was replaced by windscreens O'Brien & I asked at the time what the cost would have been without insurance & was told about $800. cheers Dave

1000+ Posts

Hi-Call the crew at windscreen Power in Ballarat.They do Geelong or have their guys there-Kathy or Sue isthe Lady who runs it is either -Tell her that Peter from Linton said to give them a buzz.They probably do Kings Cit screens.

DO NOT CALL WINDSCREEN'S O'BRIEN'S AS IT WILL HURT.

If you have a screen on your policy it would be cheapest.

Cheers,

Pekay.

Fellow Frogger!

I agree pekay49. I would not use WObrien only that my insurer uses them & I wasn't paying. cheers Dave

Mine cost $700.00.

Better check my policy.

Thanks again

1000+ Posts

Default Windscreen banner ?

Hi,
    Seems like a good place to ask a question about C5 windscreens. I am not enarmoured with the trend of having the windscreens extending so far over the occupants in our climate.

I was considering putting a strip across the top of my windscreen on my C5 (and my other car) to prevent the sun beating in. I always have the visors down anyway so am interested in a permanant block. I will try some duct tape initially to see how it goes. There are sexier banners with logos etc available OS if I find it good. The extra hot days have spurred me on to actually do it.

However I know the sensors are there in the middle, so can I get some advice on actually where they are so I can avoid covering them
    Jaahn

Fellow Frogger

Look at the section in the top centre of the screen behind the mirror. That's where the sensors are, but there will also be a section either side of the mirror that has a different pattern to the rest of the screen. Those are designed for toll tags as that portion of the screen doesn't have the same coating that can supposedly interfere with the operation of those tags. Your banner could very soon read just "CI____EN" !

I got my windscreen done by Windscreen Power, as suggested by Pekay. They have a workshop in Geelong as well as Ballarat, Werribee and Cairns (?). Would have no hesitation using them again. Cost $360 for anyone who is interested.

Thanks for the tip Pekay

Thread Information