Xantia V6 gumtree ad clayton area
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Xantia V6 gumtree ad clayton area

I had a look at this car recently, nice in a lot of ways BUT :-

The "Stop" warning light is permanently on, hydraulic tank low, dealer told me he recently had it topped up. If so it has a leak somewhere. He just wants to get rid of the car & may well try to sell it to an innocent who does not know how dangerous loss of hydraulics is.

The engine makes a very interesting V6 noise, V6 C5s are much quieter so I suspect an exhaust problem.

A minor ding on the front bumper.

If it was nearer Canberra & I had time to look at it more carefully I may have been tempted but its not for me.

agd123

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

The exhaust note was always louder than a C5 with essentially the dame drivetrain, although it won't have the variable cam timing of the C5. The gearbox is the make or break item for any otherwise OK example.

Would a 2.0 Xantia be a better car overall? I'm keen to find one as a second car. The performance would be nice having a v6 but the auto gearbox doesn't sound like they cope with the extra torque?

The 16 valve 2 litre engine is a nice engine and can be had with a manual box eliminating the risk of the auto packing up. There is/was a nice looking 2 litre turbo manual model on the CCCV website that looked like a bargain.
    cheers Tony

Fellow Frogger

It's not that the gearbox isn't up to the job in the V6, just that the cost of repairing it (and the other things that will let go at the same time) relative to the value of the car makes it uneconomic. While you can sometimes get away with just the pump being repaired in the 4HP20, it's still a lot to spend unless you plan to keep the car for a while. The 2.0 Exclusive offers almost everything the V6 can for less ongoing cost, which is why many will prefer the 2.0 now. The later cars do have the AL4 auto gearbox, which can fail just as rapidly and expensively as the 4HP20 in the V6. The manuals are generally almost bulletproof, but many people want an auto. Fixing a failed auto in an otherwise very good car may be something some can justify, but at at least 13 years old now, many owners simply replace the car.

Could you get a 2.0 Exclusive Manual - Never seen one?
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Fellow Frogger!

The car is loud because it has a non standard exhaust system on it

Thread Information