Dreaded "Coolant in Passenger footwell"
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Dreaded "Coolant in Passenger footwell"

Coming up to 2 months ownership of my 2002 Xsara VTS

Monday- Drivers Window made a loud "clunk" as tried to put up window, motor works but nothing moves
    Have to take the door off to have a look, sounds like a common problem

Wednesday- Noticed strange green sheen to passenger footwell after driving home, carpet is saturated!
    Has to be heater matrix, sounds like a big job to fix. Anyone had this done recently? If so what did it cost to repair?

Going back to the dealer today and will see if the statutory waranty is worth anything.

Quick question, how hard is it to bypass the heater matrix? I really dont need the heater in Brisbane, especially if it is going to cost $$$$$$$.

Advertisement

Sigh, such a fun car to drive but not a good sign for long term reliability

UFO

Bypass of the matrix is easy if a very used Xsara that Mrs UFO and I looked at in Sydney in late 2011 is any indication. A U bend hose will do the trick.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger

It's a dash out job in the Xsara, so they are most likely to try a sealant to save the cost of the job. That may be OK if it's just weeping a little and it's no doubt legally acceptable for the dealer to repair it so it doesn't leak and still works. They are probably not obliged to actually replace the matrix if they can fix it another way. Be warned.

The window regs usually fail because the clip that holds the window glass lets go and the cable goes slack. Operating it just makes matters worse as it makes it much harder to fix. You either buy a new one with the arm and leg left over after the heater matrix job, buy used or get the parts to repair it from eBay.

You don't want to be paying for either the heater matrix or the window regulator repair.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post

You don't want to be paying for either the heater matrix or the window regulator repair.

Looks like I am going to pay for both, as the car is 10 1/2 years old it only came with 1 month stat warranty not 3 months as I originally though, its based on build date not compliance, so much for extra security from buying from a dealer .

Wow ebay prices are WAY cheaper in the UK, $70 for a heater matrix vs $220 here!

Just need to find out if the window regulators are not different for the coupe or series 2.

At least the bypass of the heater looks easy.

Fellow Frogger

It's not the cost of the heater matrix that's the problem, rather the labour cost involved. Bypassing it is the least expensive option for sure.

As far as I know, the coupe regulators all used the same clips, which is no doubt what's failed. Since you've been running the motor since it snapped, the cables and drum are probably damaged. You need a kit something like this one:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-XS...item336dd488c3
    ... but do make sure it suits your car. The regulator is riveted into the door frame and there are a couple of quite large rivets involved.

Thread Information