I was afraid this might happen
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default I was afraid this might happen

Have a look at the Xantia I just posted in the parts for sale section. Its way to good to wreck but because of bastard Citroen service people it ends up with us.

The owner, owned since new, very well maintained and serviced was told Ateco have gone and you can't get parts for them so better get rid of it.

As we all know, what a croc of crap, as if Ateco would stock parts for a car this old anyway but parts will be available for many many years as we all know.

I wonder how many more Citroens I'll get.

Advertisement
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Fellow Frogger

Ateco did carry and could certainly obtain Xantia parts when requested. However, there are obviously several alternative suppliers and quite a few of the current dealers would not have sold a Xantia as a new car. The youngest Xantia is now 13, which is too old for most new car dealers now and well beyond it's expected life in Europe. With so much plastic and rubber to turn brittle and snap with little more than breathing on them, the older models can become a nightmare for the average dealer's workshop. The number of parts marked NFP for the XM/Xantia era cars is certainly increasing in the PSA listings.

JBN

I am a happy owner of a 1995 Citroen Xantia 8v VSX automatic. Yesterday I had the alternator replaced with a used Peugeot 306 alternator ( Peugeots don't have leaking hydraulic pumps situated over the alternator). Cost me $220 for the part and the labour (3 tanks of petrol).

For that I get a nice sized car with a big handy hatch. Handles well (really well if you want it to). I will need to replace the front disc rotors soon and all brake pads (get them from European Auto Imports, delivered to the door).

The only really peculiar thing about the Xantia would be the LHM rubber return hose harness. Even if Ateco was still the importer, you probably couldn't get it from them. I managed with some rubber fuel hose obtained from Repco/Supercheap Auto and a bit of frigging around and its now right for another 10 years. The engine recently had the timing belt, waterpump and head gasket replaced, all readily obtained from EAI.

Even if there was NO Citroen importer after Ateco, the Xantia will survive as well as if there is an official importer. Obscure bits can be sourced via the internet (often from the UK). Most of the engine bits are Peugeot, so there is no problem there.

One thing is beyond doubt. The Xantia is the BEST VALUE for MONEY in Australia. Its reliable. Engine is Peugeot and new and used bits readily available. If you need a spare body panel, the scrapyard will probably GIVE it to you as long as you take the rest of the wreck as well. Being Citroen, it is universally hated in Australia, so you won't have to pay much for one and in some cases, people will pay you to take it away.

What is not to like?

John

Agreed a bargain. Only 3 for sale on Carsales throughout Australia, one 1998 model for $1100 ONO. Had to replace the blue and orange LHM return Ts on the rear subframe for our SX, the local dealer had them in stock. Likewise Front disc rotors and pads I am sure would be there if when I need them. Ride and handling right up there with the best, and a very good looking machine to boot.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    What is not to like?

John
    The auto gearbox???

Jo

Icon14

As someone who has had their Xantia since new ($46,000 in 1999 ), driven the car about 250,000km, and now sees the crazy low prices for them, the notion that they're a steal is very real.

As long as I can source parts, I'll be keeping mine.

After close to 14 years of super reliability, dear old Anatole owes me nothing...

Cheers,

Andrew Matusiewicz
    1999 Xantia SX 16 valve 5 speed (Jetzt mit Komfortkugeln!)

Quote Originally Posted by XantiaHead View Post
    (Jetzt mit Komfortkugeln!)
    I assume without would be rather uncomfortable

on the button really comfortable but if the wheels don't go round their worth jack sh*t

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    The auto gearbox???

Jo
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I am a happy owner of a 1995 Citroen Xantia 8v VSX automatic. Yesterday I had the alternator replaced with a used Peugeot 306 alternator ( Peugeots don't have leaking hydraulic pumps situated over the alternator). Cost me $220 for the part and the labour (3 tanks of petrol).

For that I get a nice sized car with a big handy hatch. Handles well (really well if you want it to). I will need to replace the front disc rotors soon and all brake pads (get them from European Auto Imports, delivered to the door).

The only really peculiar thing about the Xantia would be the LHM rubber return hose harness. Even if Ateco was still the importer, you probably couldn't get it from them. I managed with some rubber fuel hose obtained from Repco/Supercheap Auto and a bit of frigging around and its now right for another 10 years. The engine recently had the timing belt, waterpump and head gasket replaced, all readily obtained from EAI.

Even if there was NO Citroen importer after Ateco, the Xantia will survive as well as if there is an official importer. Obscure bits can be sourced via the internet (often from the UK). Most of the engine bits are Peugeot, so there is no problem there.

One thing is beyond doubt. The Xantia is the BEST VALUE for MONEY in Australia. Its reliable. Engine is Peugeot and new and used bits readily available. If you need a spare body panel, the scrapyard will probably GIVE it to you as long as you take the rest of the wreck as well. Being Citroen, it is universally hated in Australia, so you won't have to pay much for one and in some cases, people will pay you to take it away.

What is not to like?

John
    Totally agree 15 year old Cits are the best value on the market right now.
    Don't agree with the bit about body panels we still sell quite a few.

We have another Xantia coming soon, this is a series 2 wagon.

But we have enough parts to keep them going for many years, so many parts that I'm in the middle of sending a parts order to France because there's non left in wrecking yards over there.

There is no reason why anyone should get rid of there car just because Ateco have pulled the pin and if anyone hears anyone say that they deserve a kick up the bum.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Hi John,
    . I will need to replace the front disc rotors soon and all brake pads (get them from European Auto Imports, delivered to the door).
    you might want to also check out "DIXCEL" a japanese brake manufacturer who has a wide range of disc rotors and pads for the Xantia and other Citroen models.
    Last edited by Techbuy; 7th February 2013 at 02:09 PM. Reason: add quote
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    1975 DS23 IE Pallas Auto
    1972 D Special 4Sp
    1/2 a DS23 Auto
    www.ds23.com.au
    Had a 1974 D Special 4Sp (by now reborn as a Toaster)

Icon14

There is no reason why anyone should get rid of there car just because Ateco have pulled the pin and if anyone hears anyone say that they deserve a kick up the bum.
    Well said David - I reckon the Xantia is one of the great hidden bargains on the Australian used car market.

Cheers,

Andrew Matusiewicz
    1999 Xantia SX 16 valve 5 speed (Jetzt mit Komfortkugeln!)

Fellow Frogger!

That is unbelievable the Activa out handled a Porshe 996 GT2 in the Moose test , what a car

Do you know of any Activa's in Australia
    Last edited by Renburg; 7th February 2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Add

1000+ Posts

I have both an activa and a ct turbo and it would be splitting hairs to say which handles better;but for a long comfortable cruise i prefer my cxgtiauto which just wafts along like your favourite armchair and is definitely more comfortable than a "d"

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by alhantos View Post
    I have both an activa and a ct turbo and it would be splitting hairs to say which handles better;but for a long comfortable cruise i prefer my cxgtiauto which just wafts along like your favourite armchair and is definitely more comfortable than a "d"
    Never thought I'd hear you say that Alan. I know you are not very experienced in these complicated machines, so it is obvious your 'D' is not functioning at full efficiency. May I humbly suggest a visit to that very capable young independent Citroen mechanic at Hornsby [ by a remarkable coincidence with the same surname as yours ] to remedy matters .
    I look forward to hearing of your 'D' re enlightenment after this visit.

Cheers [raising glass of LHM ],

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by citroenut View Post
    Never thought I'd hear you say that Alan. I know you are not very experienced in these complicated machines, so it is obvious your 'D' is not functioning at full efficiency. May I humbly suggest a visit to that very capable young independent Citroen mechanic at Hornsby [ by a remarkable coincidence with the same surname as yours ] to remedy matters .

Cheers [raising glass of LHM ],

Richard
    I have owned 3 Ds and I definitely prefer my CX
    Cheers Gerry

I think whether one is a D person or a CX person is much like the question of whether one is a P6B person or an SD1 person, or whether one is a dog person or a cat person. It is a matter of one's nature and the kind of company one prefers, and has nothing to do with whether one of them is actually better than the other. For me it is D, P6B and dog. The CX and SD1 are too much like a cat for my liking.

Roger

Fellow Frogger!

I have 2 v6 and a CT xantias
    The V6 is a better car than the 4
    I don't know much about the auto boxes but the HP 20 in the v6 is very long lived
    One of mine has done 350k plus
    The v6 is infinitely more pleasant a motor than the ct or 16 valve and returns better economy than the ct
    Don't know about the 16 valve
    As for value I paid $1k for my latest v6 with 180k on it and I have done 8k in the last 7 weeks
    (I do 60k per annum so I need reliability)
    The cars aren't hard to work on either
    What car is?

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by citroenut View Post

Cheers [raising glass of LHM

Richard
    Idrove my first d in 1958;a ds19 and many more since so feel half qualified to say that a cx is a definite step forward. The young man you mention is my son,regards,Andrew.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Techbuy View Post
    Hi John,

you might want to also check out "DIXCEL" a japanese brake manufacturer who has a wide range of disc rotors and pads for the Xantia and other Citroen models.
    Likewise dba.com.au in Sydney which lists Xantia, and many Citroen from Ami to ZX.

Disc Brakes Australia is an Australian owned manufacturer, designer and global marketer of after-market and OE dic brake rotors

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    I think whether one is a D person or a CX person is much like the question of whether one is a P6B person or an SD1 person, or whether one is a dog person or a cat person. It is a matter of one's nature and the kind of company one prefers, and has nothing to do with whether one of them is actually better than the other. For me it is D, P6B and dog. The CX and SD1 are too much like a cat for my liking.

Roger
    OH OH I'm a cat person!!!!!!!!!

PS I also love Tractions. They are the best car that Citroen ever made and the last car that Andre actually had any input into! How's that for a sweeping statement!!!
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    OH OH I'm a cat person!!!!!!!!!

PS I also love Tractions. They are the best car that Citroen ever made and the last car that Andre actually had any input into! How's that for a sweeping statement!!!

If we are getting Xantia's sent to us because parts are NLA what hope have you guys got with your tractions, D's and CX's. Tell you what I'll do just to save you guys the embarassment of breaking down somewhere in a car you can't get parts for I'll take them of your hands for you and dispose of them properly.
    Just because I'm a helpful bloke.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    If we are getting Xantia's sent to us because parts are NLA what hope have you guys got with your tractions, D's and CX's. Tell you what I'll do just to save you guys the embarassment of breaking down somewhere in a car you can't get parts for I'll take them of your hands for you and dispose of them properly.
    Just because I'm a helpful bloke.
    That's so kind of you David. Truth be known though, there are more parts available for Tractions these days than ever before. Have you ever looked at the CTA site? Who said that they break down anyway?
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    That's so kind of you David. Truth be known though, there are more parts available for Tractions these days than ever before. Have you ever looked at the CTA site? Who said that they break down anyway?
    Yeah I know, its probably easier to get traction parts then BX these days.

That's right I forgot. Old Cits never break down but sometimes they might "fail to procede" but never break down.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

It's OK Dave, I reckon I have more D parts than you now.

Roger

I was only stuck with a Traction on two occasions. Once at a CCCV Motorkhana when I broke the yoke on the inner universal cross, and once on Mount Dandenong when the main jet emulsion tube of the Solex carby worked its way out of its mounting and dropped down onto the throttle butterfly valve.
    Cheers Gerry

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information