How to strap a D to trailer
  • Register
  • Help
    Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Default How to strap a D to trailer

What is the best way to strap a DS to a car trailer? Junior has bought hisself a trailer for the Nissan 180 SuX and I sure intend using it as well for the D when needs be.

Advertisement
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

How long is the trailer ................. it needs to be really, really long to fit a DS on it. They have a 124" wheelbase (longer than a chev impala).

I just pull them down by the front lower arms and tiedown points at the back. I must admit, if the handbrake doesn't work I can still feel them moving slightly on the trailer!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    How long is the trailer ................. it needs to be really, really long to fit a DS on it. They have a 124" wheelbase (longer than a chev impala).

I just pull them down by the front lower arms and tiedown points at the back. I must admit, if the handbrake doesn't work I can still feel them moving slightly on the trailer!

seeya,
    Shane L.

Junior said he measured it to be sure it would fit the D..........I think I know why, probably to present me with the invoice contribution tomorrow!

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I agree with that .... Fathers shoudl be the ones that supply the car trailers, tools ..... and of course the tow vehicle when required .............................. Oh yeah and the funds to purchase any new "projects"
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I agree with that .... Fathers shoudl be the ones that supply the car trailers, tools ..... and of course the tow vehicle when required .............................. Oh yeah and the funds to purchase any new "projects"
    One day when you have a teenage son you will regret saying that Shane!

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

front arms I agree but the rear towing eye's I aint to sure about after having to weld the arse back on the SM
    and Ihink their very similar on their rump towing eyes are attached with tin foil tow bar maybe
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

UFO

Would it not be better to strap the rear tyres down - OK it may involve removing the wings to do so, but...
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

The more I think about it, the more I like the way the professionals tie down cars. Any car. They use a short strap around a couple of the tyres. Given the lack of suspension when a D is not running, its front-heavy weight distribution, and the fact access to the front wheels is better than to the rear wheels, I reckon using decent straps to tie down the two front wheels would be the best.

A pair of ratchet straps is not expensive, and easy enough to shorten. You would need the right attachment points, which admittedly might be difficult on a hired trailer, but would be easy enough to install on a trailer of your own.

Roger

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

I'm not too keen on ratchet straps. To have an adequate load rating you need a big one. I have used chain and shackles from the front arms and chained forward and aft.

To stop it moving around;

1) Suspension fully down, as would be the case with a non-runner, Let most of the air out of the front tyres, fit chains fore and aft, pump tyres up to tension. Then it doesn't move fore-aft.

2) Secure sideways, or it slithers, especially at the back if the trailer deck gets wet. Ratchet straps seem to be fine for this.

3) Needs to be secured sideways at the back, but all the cars I've moved have had towbars.

Make sure it hasn't got bits of broom handle etc holding it up. Trailering except on the bump stops will damage things See spheres threads.

It may be necessary to get a bigger trailer than would normally be used, so the car can be placed further aft to bring the towball weight within limits, generally not more than 10% of maxinum allowable trailer weight.

DS

I drove the 4X4 we trailered a DS23 back from Broken Hill to Sydney (the car RONHIC on here bought). The trailer had great low bars at the front that the tyres nicely rested against and the same bars where where we ratchet strapped across the lower front arms. The rear we strapped on the one remaining tow point. Worked a treat.
    We made a big point of regular stops for strapping checks which included the purchase of two new straps at our Lithgow check as they has broken just prior to Lithgow. The new straps made me feel comfortable driving up and out of Lithgow on the Bells Line road. We had already decided to go nowhere near the Mount Victoria climb!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdrive34/5484502930/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdrive34/5484549590

As a side note. That broom handle idea looks retarded. I'm never going there. Even the deadest of DS I've gotten onto flatbed trailers using a winch and wood blocks. The winch on the trailer we used also sat very close to the front bumper of the car. I have seen traliers that the winch won't allow a car to sit nicely on.
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

I have never tried to tow a DS, but have moved 4 CX, and 3 were non-runners. I have always been able to get them on and off ok.

Thread Information