Masochism
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Masochism

Default Masochism

I reckon masochism is the only word to accurately describe the desire to do serious things to a DS.

I'm half way through putting on a new pair of disc rotors on Moby Dick. Man what a job!

Advertisement

Working on the usual concept of removing anything that might appear to be in the way, and then finding other things that are, but aren't removable, I've finally got the left hand rotor replaced and have just, after a couple of hours of sweat and ingenuity, got the right hand disc lying on the floor.

Undoing 19mm nuts one click of the ratchet at a time is soul destroying at the best of times, but when doing it at full stretch and odd angles, the arms tend to object a bit.

I remember taking off the handbrake mechanisms and cleaning them while the engine was out a year or two ago. It wasn't particularly easy then, so I should have known it was never going to be a doddle. If I'd thought I'd be removing them in situ, I never would have done them up so bloody tight!

Never mind, the end is in sight. Just got to weasel the new disc in, attach the handbrake caliper and adjust it then I'm ready to start re-installing main calipers, clutch cable, hydraulic pump, front engine mount, radiator and sundry other bits that are strewn around the carport.

Just had to vent. I feel cleansed now.

Wish me luck lads, I'm going back in!

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Next project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Fellow Frogger!

Pottsy, You must mean "cleansed" in the spiritual sense. You'll need lots of scrubbing in the shower after it is all over. You must admit you got a lot of hardware for your buck with a D....and it is all pretty substantial stuff isn't it.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Why don't you do the driveshaft nuts from below.... On the early cars at least there simple. You roll underneath, then rotate the wheels to bring the next nut into the "easy to access" bottom position

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Or with a long extension ( or 2 ) through the axle hole. The wheels are probably off ! .. or is Pottsy cursing the handbrake calipers where they bolt on to the bell housing area ?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Why don't you do the driveshaft nuts from below.... On the early cars at least there simple. You roll underneath, then rotate the wheels to bring the next nut into the "easy to access" bottom position

seeya,
    Shane L.
    The same can be done on the late models for the drive shafts nuts. But the handbrake calipers are the item that tests the ingenuity or the double jointedness!
    Cheers Gerry

Drive shafts were a doddle. It's the handbrake caliper bolts that are giving me the irrits.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Next project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    Drive shafts were a doddle. It's the handbrake caliper bolts that are giving me the irrits.
    I understand your pain. I always hated that job particularly on the right hand side. Often they are bloody tight as well as the limited spanner movement.
    Cheers Gerry

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Quote Originally Posted by fritzelhund View Post
    Or with a long extension ( or 2 ) through the axle hole. The wheels are probably off ! .. or is Pottsy cursing the handbrake calipers where they bolt on to the bell housing area ?

What they said ^^^^
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    I understand your pain. I always hated that job particularly on the right hand side. Often they are bloody tight as well as the limited spanner movement.
    Think I did it about 20years ago..... I still have a ground almost flat 15mm spanner to adjust them with somewhere
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!

Pottsy, In the above post Shane is referring to the bolts that adjust the pad to disc clearance ( the ones with the locknut on the outside of the caliper arm.) The thing is once you have it all apart it is really quite simple.....nothing like the clockwork handbrake mechanisms used on longstroke cars. You have to admire the simplicity and robustness of the front disc brake assembly. I wonder how much power the braking system can achieve and transmit through the driveshafts ? .. it must be many many times the engine's power output.

Quote Originally Posted by fritzelhund View Post
    Pottsy, In the above post Shane is referring to the bolts that adjust the pad to disc clearance ( the ones with the locknut on the outside of the caliper arm.) The thing is once you have it all apart it is really quite simple.....nothing like the clockwork handbrake mechanisms used on longstroke cars. You have to admire the simplicity and robustness of the front disc brake assembly. I wonder how much power the braking system can achieve and transmit through the driveshafts ? .. it must be many many times the engine's power output.
    Yeah that's the one.... the [email protected] springs you try to use huge cable ties on to keep in position
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thread Information