New C4 VTS coupe joins the community!
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger! CorneSoutAfrica's Avatar

Default New C4 VTS coupe joins the community!

Hi everyone

This past weekend was quite a trip! For the last few months I have been looking for a C4 VTS coupe here in South Africa. Wow that was difficult! The amount imported were limited and the ones left either have high mileage or they are in such a state it's not worth to buy

Advertisement

Fortunately after waiting and looking at cars walking away I got one!

Lowish miles only 72000 kilometres service history, only downside (if it is a downside) it's got an aftermarket exhaust system. The car was used for short trips most of it's life so the orinigal exhaust rusted out. Cathalytic converter was removed and the rear silencer replaced..... I think I want to replace it with orinigal or close to orinigal units.

Ok a bit more regarding the trip. The car was situated 1500km from me, so we either had to drive there or fly there. We opted for flying because it was cheaper (fuelwise) It was the first time in my life on an aeroplane, needless to say I am hooked! I'd do it again as soon as possible!!!!

The part of Sout Africa where we fetched the car (Cape Town) is, for me, the most beautiful part of South Africa! The people are much friendlier than the people from my part of the country and much much more relaxed! No racy driving at all which is by far nicer than our more aggressive inland drivers! Yea well I am talking about myself here aswell!!

The car itself was taken care of that was obvious. Michelin Exalto tyres on the car, I think by the looks of the tyres it is obvious it's the orinigal tyres!!! After a bit of talking I persuaded the dealer to fit new rear tyres as they were on their limit and I don't want to get a ticket for bald tyres!!

The car being a citroen has got 2 faults........ First the micro switch of the bootlid. The bootlid opened once then it stayed closed, I think the switch is broken which I was assured will be fixed. Another problem is at idle if you pull away it's very sluggish and almost sounds like the engine wants to die as it sounds like she runs on 3 cylinders but as soon as you hit 1500rpm she launches into life abd the power is unbelieveable. If you drive carefully it doesn't happen but when you want to pull away quickly it happens....

The dealer is coming to fetch the car at my home and take it to Citroen to be checked out. Will hear from them soon!!

Here is some pics for now
    http://s1184.beta.photobucket.com/us...01482117913238

http://s1184.beta.photobucket.com/us...18823486141089

What is the colour called as I have no idea!!

One think is certain, this car is no sleeper!!!

Cheers
    Corne
    Last edited by CorneSoutAfrica; 4th February 2013 at 07:09 PM.
    1968 ID21 break
    1971 DS21 IE BVH Rouge de grenade (Madamoiselle Rouge)
    1974 DS Pallas Sable metalisse My first restoration (Edith) Now BVH
    1973 DS pallas Metallic red. "Rusty"

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
    - Vincent van Gogh

Congrats!! Pics Please
    2005 Jaune Scott VTS 180 (built 28/1/05), K&N Typhoon Induction Kit, Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers | Build Thread

C4Owners.org Premier Club Member#19249
    Citroen Car Club of NSW Inc Member - 2013/14 Committee Member and Editor of "The Chevrons"
    Australian Racing Drivers' Club Member
    facebook.com/cccnsw

Hi CamM

Sorry my stupidness knows no boundaries haha. Let me try once again

New C4 VTS coupe joins the community!-2013-02-02-11.01.54.jpgNew C4 VTS coupe joins the community!-2013-02-02-16.27.27.jpgNew C4 VTS coupe joins the community!-2013-02-02-16.27.53.jpg

This is only outside shots. I will do some interior ones as soon as possible. Yesterday was the 1500km drive back and today back to work, no time yet to check out all the car's functions.

Fuel consumption for me is brilliant! The whole trip combined it was around 7.9l/100km. Is that ok?

I forgot to mention the other problem. While driving along I operated the heater and aircoditioning on both sides. Passanger side switched to heat and cold no problem but my side went to heat and stayed there, so I had a full on heater in 37 degrees celsius weather!! The dealer said they will sort it out, but is there any way just to get it back to blowing cold air in the meanwhile?

No wait... That's 3 faults, looks like I am still recovering from the trip and heavy traffic. Apart from that, it is a very nice modern car to drive!!

Cheers
    Corne
    Last edited by CorneSoutAfrica; 4th February 2013 at 09:30 PM.
    1968 ID21 break

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

- Vincent van Gogh

Looks like a really clean example you've got there. If I'm not mistaken, your colour C4 was sold here in Australia as "Gris Fer" and in the UK as "Normandy". Given the high temperatures - and assuming a mix of city/highway driving - your fuel economy was pretty good. I can get my VTS to sub 7.0l/100km on highway driving running 98RON premium unleaded. Normal city driving sees me getting closer to 9.0l/100km.

As for your 3 issues...

Issue #1 - Failure of the microswitch is common enough, but you may want to check whether your car was included in the boot harness / wiring loom recall. Certain VINs were affected and had the wiring loom (between the tailgate and the vehicle body) replaced with an "upgraded" design.

Issue #2 - It is possible that the problem is not so much with the vehicle itself, but rather more to do with your driving. The VTS has a rather high take-up point for the clutch that's notoriously difficult to get used to (compared to other cars). You only notice it from a standing start and especially shortly after first switching the engine on. I've had mine for almost 8 years and still have the odd day when it just doesn't work well.

Issue #3 - Very common problem. Check out this FAQ http://c4owners.org/plugins/faq/faq.php?0.cat.5.18
    2005 Jaune Scott VTS 180 (built 28/1/05), K&N Typhoon Induction Kit, Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers | Build Thread

C4Owners.org Premier Club Member#19249
    Citroen Car Club of NSW Inc Member - 2013/14 Committee Member and Editor of "The Chevrons"
    Australian Racing Drivers' Club Member
    facebook.com/cccnsw

Thanks for the reply!!

I was surprised apon seeing the car the first time, it didn't have paint damage or even paint chips! No seat scuff marks or any scrapes on the "citroen" stainless strip on the sill. Even the perfume refill supplied by Citroen was still unused. I am guessing but it looks like the tyres on the car is the orinigal ones (Michelin Exalto). Previous owner must've rotated the tyres at some point as the rear ones were on legal limit and front ones were still good.

The fuel economy could maby have been better but lots of traffic so you needed to gun the car to pass all the trucks and stop for roadworks, alot of mixed driving....

I will check if my car VIN but I have no idea how to know if the car was part of the recall.

I must admit I am wondering if there is any problem with the car in the jerkyness regard. Cold start and pull away she is a bit grumpy and no pull around idling. Maby the Map or throttle position sensor is a bit dirty causing the slight hesitation jerkyness. Only thing is due to the aftermarket exhaust it's clearly audible she is sometimes running on 3 cylinders but only on the idle pull away, to compare to my DS carby, it's like flooring the car and getting that short lean state that the car almost wants to die before enough fuel enters the engine and all is well That's the best explanation I can quickly think of....

I am so glad that could be the only problem with the aircon!! I will have a look and maby just get cool air blowin until the dealer comes later this week. To drive with a heater in this heat is NOT a joke I carry an extra t-shirt because I am sweating in those bucket seats

I there any possible way to get the boot open and just have a look and see maby it's a loose connection causing the inoperative boot? I should actually leave it for the dealer!! They are coming later this week (Wednesday if I remember correctly)

Looks like the Citroen bug bit me hard!!! Maby I will enjoy this car as much as I do the DS!!

Thanks for the help CamM! Looks like the car only has common faults!!

Cheers
    Corne
    (oh yes I still like the colour of your car)
    1968 ID21 break

1947 Traction Avant

Modern

2006 C4 VTS 180 Coupe

- Vincent van Gogh

Thread Information