CX transport
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: CX transport

Icon5 CX transport

Do you think that there is any problem transporting a CX from melbourne to perth secured by wheel straps alone with no other special measures.
    As I may have to instruct the relevant moron on Ceetroon uppsy downy ways and why fores

Advertisement
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Fellow Frogger!

After your SM experience you should be well in the know. Maybe remove the rear wheel spats to improve access, stress the fact that the car will sink and change the effective wheel base, and add a BIG sign stating the car will have NO brakes ( or steering ) without the engine running, and that its ground clearance will be ZERO.

I think it'd be safer driving it at night through the Nullabor than to run the risk of the car flapping about on its bump stops for a week.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Unfortunately, I think you can't trust ANY of them. When I sent my DSpecial from Brisbane to Melbourne I had spent time trying to explain to the driver all the particularities and he pretended to listen, I even plastered instructions to the steering wheel.

Afew days later the buyer in Melbourne sent me a picture of the car arriving in Melbourne: not only a different truck but on an extra single trailer towed BY the truck. The car had been fully shaken to the extent the battery terminals got loose , shorted and melted some of the elctrics.
    This was supposed to be a reknown caring car tranporter!!!
    The problem is the guy who picks up your car is probably not the one who drives it interstate and the details don't get passed on at the depot.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Well we will see the SM exercise was detinitley an education for Auto Trans and really a bonus for me new exhaust for free and rear rust all repaired by me with a quite generous payment by them once they realised what a bastard I could be
    The T2 got here unscathered although lots of evidence of undercarriage damage when shipped from the UK earlier
    I would love to fly over and drive back but the car
    is an unknown quantity
    being unlicensed and not used for 2 years
    plus 3 or 4 days time,
    $300 odd air fare
    $500 fuel
    plus accomidation
    the $1200 transport cost with insurance maybe the go
    I would find it tedious trying to fix a hemoraging citroen with swiss army pocket knife in yowey country with the bunyips snapping at my heels
    we are still haggling at this time
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Haggling finished

Fellow Frogger!

Can't you put it on high and then stick some stoppers of some sort in there that will keep it up? I thought I had read that in some early posts somewhere in times prehistoric...

Regards, Erik

There are ways Erik but the car is there I am here and they would not have a clue . Its a worry but so are alot of other more important things like where the fig am I going to put the whale of a thing !!

Icon5 caution

caution note does this sound the way
    Attached Files Attached Files

They may not know what the medium position is. You might want to explain what the buzzer noise is after you start the car; assuming it's not been detached.

You'd assume they'd hook it onto the tray by the car's lower arms and not by the valence...

You're putting a lot of trust onto people who usually don't like to veer from everyday, bog-standard cars on springs! Hope it all goes well.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Having the car on its bump stops on a trailer, or flat bed truck won't hurt it, as surely the said flat bed or trailer will have suspension of its own. Obviously loading, and unloading would require care, but the actual travel should be fine provided it's tied down properly!
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Fellow Frogger!

>>There are ways Erik but the car is there I am here and they would not have a clue . Its a worry but so are alot of other more important things like where the fig am I going to put the whale of a thing !!

Ahhh, yes. Obviously then it is about a 50/50 chance that it arrives without underbody dents. As others say, it is no use instructing the pick-up person or attaching notes, because half a dozen people are involved in moving a car these days and none of them bother to read. It isn't the transport then, unless it is half way on a double decker car carrier, it is the driving on and off at the various exchange points...

Try to find a small caravan transport company who deliver your way who are an owner operator and will hook a trailer on with your car on it? Or - buy a car trailer to put it on and give the trailer to any aussie frogger who will tow it all across?

David the suspense is killing me! Is it the tasty ex WA Familiale?
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

Yep It will be interesting to see how its been looked after in Melbourne when it gets home got any spare room on the verge Justin
    Quote Originally Posted by zykyra View Post
    David the suspense is killing me! Is it the tasty ex WA Familiale?

Great, nice work! Look forward to seeing her, hope the trip over runs smoothly
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHRIVAL View Post
    Yep It will be interesting to see how its been looked after in Melbourne when it gets home got any spare room on the verge Justin
    OOOOOHH!!!!

We expect a viewing. I was so tempted...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

I'd be very wary of having the car on a trailer, unless your trailer has it's own damping. Having moved a 450SEL 6.9 from Sydney to Canberra on a car trailer, I nearly found out in the worst possible way that some car trailers rely on the load (the car) to damp out any oscillations. With the Merc getting happy on its bump stops at 90km/h, and the trailer starting to sway left and right viciously, it took some terribly nervous moments to bring that mass under control! Maybe it was just the perfect combination of speed and bounce, but those oscillations wouldn't have happened if the trailer had dampers.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

I dropped off the Floride on Thursday in Bentley (Perth) to be trucked over to Melbourne. It was a non runner and I'd loaded up the car with all my stuff. It took some time to find someone who would take it like that at a reasonable price but in two weeks when it hits Melbourne there might be room for a CX for the return trip to Perth.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Too late she cried
    CEVA are picking the car up Tuesday although the bint taking the order almost blew my top every time I mentioned special or instructions she tried to con me into race car transport even after me reiterating that it was not even a fast car let alone a race car

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    I dropped off the Floride on Thursday in Bentley (Perth) to be trucked over to Melbourne. It was a non runner and I'd loaded up the car with all my stuff. It took some time to find someone who would take it like that at a reasonable price but in two weeks when it hits Melbourne there might be room for a CX for the return trip to Perth.

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    Hi John,

I'd love to get the details - I have never found someone who would carry a car with stuff inside it. In a way I'm glad you could keep it. I guess it's hard to sell a Floride quickly in a small market like Perth.

Back to topic...

It seems really hard to get details sorted by phone for car transport, he says politely. I recall exactly the same problem. At least when they dented the car (how on earth etc etc) they paid for the repairs without argument.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

I have found that companies won't look at a car unless there is minimum 6 inches of clearance under the car at all times. Trying to get around peter's father in laws GS so I can get it back to Adelaide. Sorely tempted to drive it back.

Tadpole

we had a similar problem,transporting a cx interstate,ended up putting it in a crate,ex box truck deck, then hiab/craned it, on to a flat deck truck ,arrived okay, as it was well secured in the wooden crate before we put it in the truck box, double packed.
    we were not prepared to let any strange non citroen drivers at it

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kevlights View Post
    we had a similar problem,transporting a cx interstate,ended up putting it in a crate,ex box truck deck, then hiab/craned it, on to a flat deck truck ,arrived okay, as it was well secured in the wooden crate before we put it in the truck box, double packed.
    we were not prepared to let any strange non citroen drivers at it
    What would it cost to put it in a container?

Icon11 rose coloured glasses removed

Well it is here and as usual it ain't perfect
    LHM leaks but not major
    overheating when idling more than 10 minutes- thermostat or clogged rad?
    trim a bit ratty where to get material for patching seats?
    tailgate catch broken - are they the same as the berline ?
    tailgate struts dead - god its a heavy chunk of metal -available?
    drivers door is a replacement wrong colour on frame and drivers door a bit rattly maybe window supports
    metric rims -s**t
    rust none except door lower edges due to stupid rubber bits
    A few minor dents not visible on photo's
    Now to put it over the pits

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

check the wiring to the radiator fans .... I bet there not switching on. Maybe bumped off the switch (or relay plugs bumped off if jump started on the way over).

tailgate struts you should be able to get regassed (yeah it's incredibly heavy that door). It all sounds "right" for a 30+year old car, especially given it was purchased site unseen

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information