Small boot number plate support for Light 15.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Small boot number plate support for Light 15.

Would anyone who has a Slough built 1952 or earlier, 6 or Light 15 please measure and post the width of the vertical section of the rear number plate and tail light support ( not the flat plate that the number plate and Lucas light are attached to). This is the part that bolts directly to the rear guard. I have the pattern for folding one up out of flat steel but have no record of how wide to make the curved section. I intend to make replicas to mount the tail lights and number plate on an 11BL. I will use two tail lights instead of the original single unit for obvious safety reasons and as I am totally unimpressed with the original bits of flat iron used on cars sold here I will use the Slough fixture instead.
    Also while you are at it the distances between centres of the mounting bolts into the guard? Both lateral and longitudinal!

Advertisement
    Last edited by gerrypro; 2nd February 2013 at 06:29 PM.
    Cheers Gerry

Hello Gerry
    On my car the oval tubular support is 1,5/8" (41mm) wide
    Holes in guard are 2,3/8" (60mm) across and 1,9/16" (40mm) longitudinal
    Robin
    1950 Light 15 - Blanche 'Claude'
    1949 Light 15 - Noir 'Emilie'
    1982 2CV Special - Lagune Bleu 'Daffie'
    2007 C4 HDI EGS - Rouge Lucifer
    1968 Velo Solex 3800 - Noir

Thanks Bobsie you are a life saver! Are sure that it is oval? WM715 had a support that was more like an elongated D in cross section. It took the pattern from this car before I sold it to Mel's brother. Unfortunately I lost where I had written down these critical dimensions!
    Cheers Gerry

Gerry
    the seam is toward the rear so may create the idea that it is flat but in my case is still curved.
    The length at the front is approx 150mm and the rear about 40mm (hard to measure in situ)
    1950 Light 15 - Blanche 'Claude'
    1949 Light 15 - Noir 'Emilie'
    1982 2CV Special - Lagune Bleu 'Daffie'
    2007 C4 HDI EGS - Rouge Lucifer
    1968 Velo Solex 3800 - Noir

Quote Originally Posted by bobsie View Post
    Gerry
    the seam is toward the rear so may create the idea that it is flat but in my case is still curved.
    The length at the front is approx 150mm and the rear about 40mm (hard to measure in situ)
    Would you please post a photo? That would help immensely! I am relying on memory and I sold that car sixteen years ago!
    Cheers Gerry

Small boot number plate support for Light 15.-dsc00942.jpghello Gerry,
    this is what I did with my 11BN. I put a light 15 number plate frame and light on the opposite guard to the filler so you don't have to fiddle about when filling then put a tail light from a big boot on the opposite side.. the underside of mine is where the tinwork is joined is flat.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Would you please post a photo? That would help immensely! I am relying on memory and I sold that car sixteen years ago!
    Gerry the protruding bracket is curved , top and bottom. Maybe 11BL brackets are different?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Small boot number plate support for Light 15.-imgp6457.jpg  
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Quote Originally Posted by tractionfan View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00942.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	39372hello Gerry,
    this is what I did with my 11BN. I put a light 15 number plate frame and light on the opposite guard to the filler so you don't have to fiddle about when filling then put a tail light from a big boot on the opposite side.. the underside of mine is where the tinwork is joined is flat.
    Hi Bil,l yes I remember the bottom face being flat on my 51 Light 15. Of course it is entirely possible that there were several variations on the mount.
    I intend to mount them on both sides and on the left cut down a plate backing to the size where it will accept the original lighting unit plus an ' "FRA'' oval plate! The 11bl had the light at the lower part of the backing plate and the number plate sat above. On European LHD cars there is a distinct change in angle of the plate from about 30 degrees from the vertical where the light sat, to vertical where the number plate was mounted. Of course on a RHD car this will get in the way of the filler tube. It would be good to revert to the left side, but is it legal????
    Could I trouble you for a side elevation photo?
    Last edited by gerrypro; 3rd February 2013 at 03:57 PM.
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by Trading Estate View Post
    Gerry the protruding bracket is curved , top and bottom. Maybe 11BL brackets are different?
    David, thanks for the photo! It appears that your mount is quite different from the one I had on WM. Mine sat at a higher angle, whereas yours angles back more. There must have been a few variations. It is strange I had not noticed this in all my years of Citroen ownership. But then most of my cars were large boot!
    Cheers Gerry

here you are Gerry.Small boot number plate support for Light 15.-number-plate-mount-1.pngSmall boot number plate support for Light 15.-number-plate-mount-2.pngSmall boot number plate support for Light 15.-untitled.png

As far as the legalities are concerned I supose you'll have to ask the person that you get your roadworthy certificate from. I can tell you from bitter experience that you are just as booked when you go through a red light camera or a speed camera no matter what side your number plate is fixed to.
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Hi Bil,l yes I remember the bottom face being flat on my 51 Light 15. Of course it is entirely possible that there were several variations on the mount.
    I intend to mount them on both sides and on the left cut down a plate backing to the size where it will accept the original lighting unit plus an ' "FRA'' oval plate! The 11bl had the light at the lower part of the backing plate and the number plate sat above. On European LHD cars there is a distinct change in angle of the plate from about 30 degrees from the vertical where the light sat, to vertical where the number plate was mounted. Of course on a RHD car this will get in the way of the filler tube. It would be good to revert to the left side, but is it legal????
    Could I trouble you for a side elevation photo?

As far as the legalities are concerned I supose you'll have to ask the person that you get your roadworthy certificate from. I can tell you from bitter experience that you are just as booked when you go through a red light camera or a speed camera no matter what side your number plate is fixed to.
    Many thanks for those pics Bill. The mount on your car is just I remembered and is how I was going to make mine. So the old grey matter isn't as nonfunctional as I thought. Can you confirm the width of the main stand section as being 41 mm. as bobsie said or is that variation of mount a different thickness?
    Cheers Gerry

You know Gerry that mount, whatever angle they cut it (and then flanged out to accept mounting bolts), it looks similar to the heater tube profile. Any chance?
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Quote Originally Posted by Trading Estate View Post
    You know Gerry that mount, whatever angle they cut it (and then flanged out to accept mounting bolts), it looks similar to the heater tube profile. Any chance?
    David have a look at the third picture posted by traction fan---------the mount is quite different from yours. Yours also appears to have a parallel upper to lower edge whereas this pic definitely tapers from the number plate down to the guard if viewed side on. It has the flat bottom section as I remembered it. Now all I need to know is the whether the width is the same as or different from yours!
    Last edited by gerrypro; 4th February 2013 at 08:46 AM.
    Cheers Gerry

hello Gerry,
    Mine tapers slightly. It measures 37mm wide at the guard end and 40mm nearest the plate.

hello Gerry,
    Mine tapers slightly. It measures 37mm wide at the guard end and 40mm nearest the plate.
    Thanks Bill, That information is invaluable. I have found a 38mm tube to shape the bend around so it will end up ~ 40mm parallel all the way. It will be easier than incorporating a 3mm taper. I did the test piece today and it is shaping up pretty well!
    Many thanks to all of the guys that responded.
    The interchange of information can save a lot of leg work!
    Cheers Gerry

BTW Gerry, I saw a Rav4 and a Prado today. they both had the number plate on the left side.

In that Case I guess I could get away with mounting it on the left. It would certainly make sense to have an unobstructed filler neck!
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information