Dam the Australian R.A.W.Scheme It stops me from buying a nice XM
  • Register
  • Help

Default Dam the Australian R.A.W.Scheme It stops me from buying a nice XM

On the Japanese Yahoo auction site they are currently auctioning a very nice 1997 Citroen XM with 103,000 km traveled. Bidding starts at $2699 Australian dollars and there have been no bids.

http://www.importmonster.com.au/view...942.jpg&title=

Of course RAWS stops the importation of this vehicle into Australia which is such a shame as XM's of this vintage and relatively low mileage are not generally available in Australia.

The scheme was devised to protect Australian dealers. However, they no longer have any interest in this specific vehicle. Imagine going to a dealer and asking him to trade one in or going to a dealer to buy XM parts.Dam the Australian R.A.W.Scheme  It stops me from buying a nice XM-xm1.jpgDam the Australian R.A.W.Scheme  It stops me from buying a nice XM-xm2.jpgDam the Australian R.A.W.Scheme  It stops me from buying a nice XM-xm3.jpgDam the Australian R.A.W.Scheme  It stops me from buying a nice XM-xm5.jpgDam the Australian R.A.W.Scheme  It stops me from buying a nice XM-xm6.jpg

Advertisement

I think the XM should now be allowed to be imported.

Fellow Frogger

They give a 'complied' cost of A$9,713, but I'd bet that's not the total cost on the road to you. It's not worth the hassle as you can buy a clean local car for that money. Are you looking for one? Which model?

RAWS is part of a low volume import scheme designed to allow people to import and register certain special interest models that would otherwise not ever be allowed as grey imports or ever sold new in our market. If you look at the list of special interest vehicles, there are some quite specific model variants and periods of production that are eligible. Effectively, the workshop becomes a de facto 'manufacturer' for compliance purposes for specific models. There are quite a few hoops to jump through to become a registered workshop for a particular type of car, so they need to do a few. For example, one bloke in Melbourne has set himself up to import certain Italian makes/models and they then wear a compliance plate that is as good as one that Ateco would have stuck on a similar car. I doubt the XM would make it onto the list unless it was a model never sold here, like some of the diesel variants. A 2.2HDi manual C6 might have a chance though if you found a workshop interested in doing a few.

Hi David,

I don't know why a complied cost is quoted on the website when the XM is not permitted to be imported here under RAWS. I suspect it a computer generated estimate only. I did considered buying an XM but have turned off that idea as only high mileage cars are available here and I have jumped in another direction.

Now you mentioned the C6! Wow! The 2.2 hdi manual would be a fantastic car to import. However, again the set up cost for a workshop to comply the car would possibly be too high given that the number of people interested in importing them would not be high.

Such a shame! Again I am critical of RAWS. In this day and age of international car manufacture, a car that is safe in France, U.K. and Japan should surely be safe here in the hands of a few dedicated enthusiasts and not need Australian compliance. The government could perhaps legislate that if you imported a car without getting it complied then you would not be allowed to ever resell it. That would stop the profiteers getting into the act.
    Last edited by kiamaian; 2nd February 2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: grammar

To think of compliance is getting ahead of yourself. Compliance happens once in Australia.

You need to obtain and import clearance first. The vehicle needs to be on SEVS list, the Japanese rego cancelled, cleaned and meet a few other conditions.

After that you can apply for import clearance. After obtaining clearance you can have the vehicle loaded on to a ship. When it arrives you pay Duty and Tax and clearance fees.

Here is the SEVS list: http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/sevs/sevsindex.htm

Fellow Frogger

That is actually the purpose of the scheme; to allow enthusiasts access to models that the local importer couldn't see a commercial reason to import when new. The only other practical way for a car like the C6 is to live overseas and bring it back, which does have some time restrictions on ownership and resale.

The most involved aspect of compliance of any car is likely to be the emission performance, but the low volume scheme is apparently rather easier. In the case of the 2.2 C6, the engine, DW12B twin turbo, was sold here in the Citroen C5 (auto) and presumably with a manual in some form of Pug, so that might solve the emissions ADR issues. The child seat mounts, glass tinting etc. may be minor issues to check, but a UK spec C6 could essentially met our ADR's. You'd just need to get that specific C6 variant listed as a special interest vehicle (not being sold here may be enough) and then convince someone already registered under the scheme to modify their processes for a C6 and you have a registerable car ... anywhere in Australia. I could think of one guy in Melbourne who might even be in that space if it's profitable.

Default Importing a C6 from the UK

I know I am dreaming but it is a nice dream! Check out this Ebay site.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-C6...item53efc4986c

It is 2009 car with only 43,699 miles traveled and is for sale for only $9.999 sterling.Dam the Australian R.A.W.Scheme  It stops me from buying a nice XM-c6.jpg

As a retired person I could not afford to buy an Australian C6 at the current prices but a grey import would give me a chance.

In the mean time I continue to drive my powerful and sleek 1999 Citroen Berlingo with 200,000 kilometers traveled.
    Marvelous car in many ways as the ride is still good and not a rattle or creak to be heard from the chassis. (The drive shafts going around corners is a different story.)

David,

I think you will find that if a vehicle complies Japanese emission requirements, ie was registered in Japan then compliance with Australian emission standards is automatically granted. This is why the vehicle must be returned to "as registered" in Japan condition.

Australian compliance only involves peripheral issue like lighting, baby seat mounts and ULP petrol fillers. RWC requirements are identical to local vehicles.

When they go "over the pit" at Vic Roads they are comprehensively inspected for modification and general structural condition'tho.

The importers/ RAWs make sure they vet the import in Japan to make sure it will be straightforward to comply.

If you are interested in a nice XM then check out the one advertised on the CCCV website in Geelong for 9 grand with only 83,000 k's.
    cheers Tony

1000+ Posts

I had the no. of a guy who had his wife's XM for sale-'round 140k's-A lot cheaper than above mentioed-was in beautiful condition.

Very sadly I lost my mob. recently-all info. gone along with a big heap of other info.

Hope you find something nice.

Cheers.

Pekay.

Unfortunately the old regulations got fouled up by cheapskates bringing in dodgy tipper trucks that fit under the 4tonne weight limit, and crap like bits of shitty delica space junk as well as very poor quality Japanese sports cars as soon as the 15 year regulation reached 1989 allowing just about every R32 Skyline, S13 Silvia, 300zx, JZZ30/UZZ30 Soarer and etc manufactured that year to be imported into the country.

For the car enthusiast it sucks as they went and fixed the date at December 31 1988, instead of a gradually increasing 15 year or older regulation. So instead of us being able to import the odd curiosity that wasn't sold here as the regulations intended they pretty much put a blanket ban on anything interesting like XMs which would not sell in the volume required for RAWS even if they could be complied.

XMs won't make it on the list under RAWS because they were sold here in a substantial quantity. As far as RAWS goes even if it where the case you could import an XM, which it's not, you would still not find a workshop that would be willing to venture into the business of setting up to compliance them either as they're not unique and would not sell in large enough quantities to make it viable.

Find something more interesting and then import it as you won't get an XM on RAWS ever... The only other practical way is to get a job overseas, in a country that drives on the same side of the road as us e.g. the UK, or Japan and stay there for a year. Once you've done that you'll be able to bring back a car as a personal import. If you went to that length though you would choose something a little more hard to find than an XM.

If you want to import something stick to cars manufactured before December 31 1988 as the process is far simpler under the old 15 year rule. There is plenty of odd curiosities in Japan such as older European cars, plenty of Porsche 964s for around $30k and older Lotus cars/kit cars, or old Japanese cars such as Skylines and things like Honda S600s/S800s as well as other Nissans like 240z's or Mazda RXs that are appreciating at a rate of knots, even fastback Toyotas will appreciate in time like Crowns as they're starting to here and Corollas. Either that or choose a car that has already been approved for RAWS importing with a workshop that deals in them.
    Last edited by orestes; 3rd February 2013 at 02:54 AM.

Default Re: Dam the Australian R.A.W.Scheme It stops me from buying a nice XM

If you want to import something - cx turbo, petrol or diesel.

I just had to say that...
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

JBN

Can you import the XM for spares? Then get the cheapest XM you can find in Australia. Let them mate in the same garage for a while and voila - a fully complianced, registered XM of your dreams.

John

I don't believe you can bring in a car for spares these days without cutting it in half first. Don't quote me on that, but I believe this is the case particularly to stop a lot of the rebirthing that was going on with uncomplianced cars. Even this being the case you could get a repairable write off or a very cheap Australian delivered car and use it for a rolling chasis to bolt all your parts on.

It happens a lot in the Japanese car scene, particularly with kind of popular cars, like KE70s Corollas which you used to be able to buy for about $500 and bring up to full Japanese specifications for a couple thousand if you were handy, giving you a very handy track car for less than $5000 at one point with a 20valve 4AGE conversion and the Japanese body specifications. They look kind of like a 4 door Abarth 131 and go just as well for cheap motorsport. JZX81 Toyota Chasers from Cressidas are another as well as Lexus IS200 to RS200 Toyota Altezza conversions to name a few off the top of my head.

In other words yes, the actual conversion process you're thinking of is very possible and done fairly sporadically... You would just have to find the right combination of cars/parts and be willing to put in the effort. The days of pulling the swifty with a very illegal practice of swapping VIN/Chasis numbers are gone I do believe though due to much stricter regulations on parts and motorsport cars.

I can see why people would bring in interesting things like a Renault Alpine, but I don't know if I'd bother with going to this kind of effort to bring in something like an XM that's not going to appreciate in value at least for a long time yet if at all among the lay person anyway.
    Last edited by orestes; 3rd February 2013 at 02:32 PM.

Hi Kiamaian,
    I agree re the current import restrictions. I have imported a 2cv and would love a lateish XM diesel with A/C. I have a 1991 XM 2.0 Sei auto that has only 69,000 miles /111,000 kms on it . It is a private import with FSH. It need a water temp sensor and has a small voltage leak from the height relay. Both will be fixed shortly. The suspension struts have been strengthened as a precautionary measure. It has the most wonderful ride a la DS but with roll control.

I am interested in selling it or swapping for a reliable DS.

Can't get a XM? This is on the list - Koenigsegg. Struth why not get 2. Anyone interested in a part share of 100 at $10,000 each. Awesome we can each drive it 3 days a year with 65 drool days Dam the Australian R.A.W.Scheme  It stops me from buying a nice XM-800px-pangbourne_070.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Can you import the XM for spares? Then get the cheapest XM you can find in Australia. Let them mate in the same garage for a while and voila - a fully complianced, registered XM of your dreams.

John
    Interesting reply John, I enjoy your wise comments.

Going by the experience of others on this forum, I would scrap any XM that came my way, go Xantia, C5 or C6.

Cheers...George 1/8th

Thread Information