Dry Air.
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Dry Air.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Dry Air.

Living in Brisbane and trying to paint or sandblast without some form of an air dryer is very frustrating , if not impossible, Standard moisture traps do not work for long before they are saturated and to buy a commercial air dryer is an expense that most DIY restorers canít extend to, the following was my solution to the problem.

I found a small fridge for sale and swapped it for a six pack of Coopers, why so cheap, the thermostat didnít work and it just goes to cold (all that much the better). 18 meters of 1/2 inch annealed copper tube rolled around an old brake drum, cut up an old thong for spacers between the coils. Used a hole saw to cut two holes in the side of the fridge, a couple of tin plates to fit over the copper tube and cover the holes, two shots of expanding foam to replace the insulation and two clamp on air fittings and there it is for a cost of about $250.00.

The hot moisture laden air comes in the top, the cold coil turns the moisture into droplets which then exit the bottom and into moisture trap. I built this about 6 months ago and had done a little bit of painting and wasnít sure of how good it was working until recently when I bought a 10 gallon sand blaster which I used constantly for almost 2 hours and did not have a trace of moisture in the trap on the blaster. Very happy with result.

Advertisement

This is probably not the best place to post this but I couldn't work out where else to put it and I had no doubt somebody will know. Dry Air.-coil.jpgDry Air.-stand.jpgDry Air.-hoses.jpg

And still room to chill a 6 pack!!

Brilliant.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

You've done well. Another trick when a panel beater friend helped me paint the '67 DS was for about 1/2 an hour with a hair dryer going all over a panel just before priming - - again, this was in humid Brisbane and the paint has behaved well.

John

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

i used to to a similar thing with a freezer ... The freezer died though A little bar freezer would be ideal probably
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Nice...would that work with black poly pipe as well?...Any chance of a closer look at your water trap, did you build it too or is it a bought one?

I like it a lot.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Nice...would that work with black poly pipe as well?...Any chance of a closer look at your water trap, did you build it too or is it a bought one?

I like it a lot.
    If you don't have the fridge/freezer ... this is what they try to setup on the american bodywork boards....

http://www.sharpe1.com/sharpe/sharpe...iping%20Layout

The fridge is cheaper and will likely work better. I tried to setup something like the diagram above in my last shed using normal airlines... and it worked surprisingly well too. Just all the joiners and pipes without the moisture traps add up to a HUGE amount if you try and do it properly

I coiled a length of copper tube around a round object out in the backyard when I made mine (I can't remember now what it was). THe copper I used was normal mains water pressure copper, so likely not rated at anywhere close the 120psi it's used at I still have it up in the roof here hooked into the airline, but it's not being cooled by a freezer these days. I figured if I ever painted on a hot/humid day I'd just get a bucket, bag of ice and drop the coil into it (topping up the ice with a small amount of water to help with heat transmission).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Nice...would that work with black poly pipe as well?
    No.
    The pipe needs to be a good conductor of heat, and poly pipe is a good insulator.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

..Any chance of a closer look at your water trap, did you build it too or is it a bought one?

I like it a lot.
    Made it myself. A short length of steam pipe, turned up two ends to fit inside the pipe. Air in is a pipe aimed at the bottom of the cylinder, Nuts welded on over holes to ensure plenty of depth to threads and a brass tap on the bottom.

Like this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	water trap..jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	39248

Fellow Frogger!

Like this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	water trap..jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	39248
    That's it. I built this before the fridge set up but it wasn't effective because the moisture remained in the air flow. Now it's a great collector with the moisture turned into droplets by the fridge.
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by AllenM View Post
    That's it. I built this before the fridge set up but it wasn't effective because the moisture remained in the air flow. Now it's a great collector with the moisture turned into droplets by the fridge.
    Allen
    Excellent post Allen and thanks for sharing, now my brain is hurting as I plot a similar setup for my blast cabinet....

Hello, does the condensed water collect in the external loop between the fridge and the water trap? Or when in use, is there a straight run from the fridge to the trap?

And I always imagined Australia to be warm or hot and constantly dry and sunny and that drizzle was unheard of!
    A bit like the UK...

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    Hello, does the condensed water collect in the external loop between the fridge and the water trap? Or when in use, is there a straight run from the fridge to the trap?

And I always imagined Australia to be warm or hot and constantly dry and sunny and that drizzle was unheard of!
    A bit like the UK...
    Here in sunny Queensland we have high humidity and it's a real problem when working with compressed air.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post

A bit like the UK...
    When the unit is working the volume of air carries the newly formed moisture droplets to the trap, where they are directed toward the bottom of the cylinder and are collect with other droplets. The volume of the water trap allows the air to decelerate momentarily and dry air leaves to top of the trap. Compressors “make” a lot of water in this humid climate and need to be drained regularly as does the moisture trap.

Having visited the UK a couple of times in your summer I can only agree with the often heard description of your weather as being soft. These two web sites will give an understanding of what we deal with here in Australia. When you live in Brisbane you can only feel sorry for people in the UK in winter.

http://www.australian-information-st...d-climate.html

http://www.livingin-australia.com/cl...ther-brisbane/

Allen

Thread Information