2CVs in Australia
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 2CVs in Australia

Just out of curosity I thought I'd ask this question: Are there many 2CVs in Australia or just the odd private import?

Advertisement

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by 120L View Post
    Just out of curosity I thought I'd ask this question: Are there many 2CVs in Australia or just the odd private import?
    At a guess I would say 200-300. They would all have been private imports as they were never officially imported.

The "odd" bit refers to both the owners and the cars.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    At a guess I would say 200-300. They would all have been private imports as they were never officially imported.

The "odd" bit refers to both the owners and the cars.

John
    John, 2CV's were officially imported into Australia a couple a hundred or so I think through Commonwealth motors Melbourne. Wheels did two road tests on them, in 1953 and 1954 if my memory serves me correctly.

Fellow Frogger!

John and Bad Bertie

Thanks for your replies.

I guess these cars would be relatively expensive due to rarity and collectability?

Regards

Alan

John and Bad Bertie

Thanks for your replies.

I guess these cars would be relatively expensive due to rarity and collectability?

Regards

Alan
    Alan, 2CV's are not really expensive anything between 8 or 16 thou. will get you one but try to get one registered in your state and if you don't know them as to what to look for, get someone to check it out for you.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

John and Bad Bertie

Thanks for your replies.

Regards

Alan
    Only buy a 2cv if it has a compliance/personal import plate affixed. If you check carsales at the moment there is four 2cv's for sale. NONE of them are complianced. This screams volumes about the difficulty in getting them ready for road use out here. The crazy bit is of course, they all want the same money for them as you would ask for a car that is complied ...... So you'd run away fast .... and get one that can and is registered and complianced out here

I'd be tempted by the uncomplinanced 2cv's myself ... but they'd have to be selling them at 50% of the value of a complied car to make the effort worthwhile.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Only buy a 2cv if it has a compliance/personal import plate affixed. If you check carsales at the moment there is four 2cv's for sale. NONE of them are complianced. This screams volumes about the difficulty in getting them ready for road use out here. The crazy bit is of course, they all want the same money for them as you would ask for a car that is complied ...... So you'd run away fast .... and get one that can and is registered and complianced out here

I'd be tempted by the uncomplinanced 2cv's myself ... but they'd have to be selling them at 50% of the value of a complied car to make the effort worthwhile.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Hi Shane, I dont agree that a so called non compliance plate is a major drama Shane. Two out of those 4 2Cv's on Carsales are mine. The yellow one has a import approval and to get it through NSW rego all I have to do is take it Alexandria and have this bar fitted by this garage to get blue slip. Of course the rest of the car has to be roadworthy as well but that goes for any car. The red ripple one has no compliance either but it was on full rego in SA and on club plates in NSW. If I make that one road worthy it can be registered in NSW as well (the strictest state?) That blue van is or was on club plates (which means "unregistered", really) and should not be too much of a drama to get through either. As for the yellow one, I bought this car from a guy who has imported at least a half a dozen 2CV's and got them registered no worries. I myself have not taken any steps to re register my cars for different reasons. Just ask me.
    Last edited by Bad Bertie; 29th January 2013 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bertie View Post
    Hi Shane, I dont agree that that a so called non compliance plate is a major drama Shane. Two out of those 4 2Cv's on Carsales are mine. The yellow one has a import approval and to get it through NSW rego all I have to do is take it Alexandria and have this bar fitted by this garage to get blue slip. Of course the rest of the car has to be roadworthy as well but that goes for any car. The red ripple one has no compliance either but it was on full rego in SA and on club plates in NSW. If I make that one road worthy it can be registered in NSW as well (the strictest state?) That blue van is or was on club plates (which means "unregistered", really) and should not be too much of a drama to get through either. As for the yellow one, I bought this car from a guy who has imported at least a half a dozen 2CV's and got them registered no worries. I myself have not taken any steps to re register my cars for different reasons. Just ask me.
    And by the way, if a car is already registered in what ever state, an so called compliance plate is bullshit anyway,they don't comply in a true sense anyway.You should't talk people out of buying a car just because it has not got that plate.

2CVs in Australia-import_plate.jpg
    Hi Shane, I dont agree that that a so called non compliance plate is a major drama Shane. Two out of those 4 2Cv's on Carsales are mine. The yellow one has a import approval and to get it through NSW rego all I have to do is take it Alexandria and have this bar fitted by this garage to get blue slip. Of course the rest of the car has to be roadworthy as well but that goes for any car. The red ripple one has no compliance either but it was on full rego in SA and on club plates in NSW. If I make that one road worthy it can be registered in NSW as well (the strictest state?) That blue van is or was on club plates (which means "unregistered", really) and should not be too much of a drama to get through either. As for the yellow one, I bought this car from a guy who has imported at least a half a dozen 2CV's and got them registered no worries. I myself have not taken any steps to re register my cars for different reasons. Just ask me.
    Yes it shouldn't be a drama at all in theory. The old LHD should be legal regardless as it only needs to meet the standards from the 1950's (ie: nothing ). The rest ............ easy in theory yes ............................. If that was the case, the existing owners would have complied them to make them massively easier to sell.

It's just my opinion i know, but there's no way in hell I"d touch an uncomplied car, unless it was cheap enough for it to be considered a parts car if compliance proves impossible (or way in excess of the cars value).

I don't mean be stupidly pedantic about it .... any plate will do from any state, so long as it says the car has been through all the legal bullsh!t involved in registering a car in one of the states. eg: this would more than satisfy me

There was a 2cv for sale on carsales last week that you could see this plate on the firewall of .... It's already sold though..... That's how easy the will sell in comparison if complianced.

Even with no paperwork on the car, this plates says the roads authority has all the documents and details required already.......... So your perfectly safe to buy the car (unless of course you live in South Australia ).

My main point is why pay 8->$15000 for a 2cv that's not registered and complianced for our roads, when you can buy one that is for the same money Otherwise it could turn out to be a bloody expensive parts car

There's a 2cv just around the corner from me that's for sale ...... I would touch it with a barge pole, unless it was for sale @ parts value. The owner assures me it CAN be complianced and registered.... well he's had it for at least 5years.... and it's been for sale the entire time, so why hasn't he got it on the road if it can be That 2cv *would* be worth his asking price if it was registered and complianced, it's a really tidy looking car.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

JBN

Hi Shane, I dont agree that a so called non compliance plate is a major drama Shane. Two out of those 4 2Cv's on Carsales are mine. The yellow one has a import approval and to get it through NSW rego all I have to do is take it Alexandria and have this bar fitted by this garage to get blue slip. Of course the rest of the car has to be roadworthy as well but that goes for any car. The red ripple one has no compliance either but it was on full rego in SA and on club plates in NSW. If I make that one road worthy it can be registered in NSW as well (the strictest state?) That blue van is or was on club plates (which means "unregistered", really) and should not be too much of a drama to get through either. As for the yellow one, I bought this car from a guy who has imported at least a half a dozen 2CV's and got them registered no worries. I myself have not taken any steps to re register my cars for different reasons. Just ask me.

Bertie, I presume the bar that you are talking about is a frame behind the rear passengers seat to allow for the fitment of lap/sash 3 point safety belts plus provide an anchor point for child restraint seats (which is complete bullshit because any child in the rear of the car, restrained or otherwise, can't jump out of the fixed rear door windows).

I have one of those. Complete. Ready to be fitted (you will have to drill some holes, all washers and high tensile bolts come with the frame). It will cost very little (parts only). Call me. Buy it. Fit it. Register it. Sell it.

John

Fellow Frogger!

Default 2cv

I agree with Bad Bertie. I have two for sale, with no compliance plate. But import approval and all the other paper work needed to have it licenced. Both are registered. So what's the problem? And one is LHD, registered last year.
    Last edited by Winkbul45; 29th January 2013 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Adding more

John, 2CV's were officially imported into Australia a couple a hundred or so I think through Commonwealth motors Melbourne. Wheels did two road tests on them, in 1953 and 1954 if my memory serves me correctly.
    I was taken for a ride in one in 1954 across the cavernous pot holes in our street. All I can remember about the car was that it was super smooth, noisy and red----------being all of 7 years old.
    Cheers Gerry

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

there was a bloke that was doing shonky imports on 2CV's a few years back and probably still is

i forget his name but i'm sure if i went searching through my old messages and through the site i would find it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    there was a bloke that was doing shonky imports on 2CV's a few years back and probably still is

i forget his name but i'm sure if i went searching through my old messages and through the site i would find it
    He left the country a few years back.... I foudn his facebook profile a while back and it sounds like he's ready to do a runner from the next country before he's caught up with too Wasn't he stamping his own compliance plates (or something bizarre like that).

Bad burtie has the import approval reading that advert, so it really is just a matter of finding an engineer that's not a fruitloop to pass it for you.

It does make life a lot easier (not to mention cheaper) if any car you buy is currently registered and complianced.... any car that is, not just 2cv's

If you live in Victoria, these days these cars can go straight onto a club permit at no cost!!!! Of course it's then harder to sell and likely worth a lot less as it still can't be registered

seeya
    Shane L.
    Last edited by DoubleChevron; 29th January 2013 at 09:58 PM.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Around 60 two cylinder Citroens were currently registered in Queensland last year - this figure includes the Ami, Dyane and other 2 cylinder variants. This makes them dead common in comparison to several other Citroen models from the same era or later (in Queensland anyway).
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Fellow Frogger!

On Oz fleabay at the moment is a 1948 Ford Anglia van - yep, that's right, the sit up'n beg Anglia. Only this one has a fabricated rail chassis, 9" rear end and runs a blown big bore Chev. It is claimed that it has run 8.7 sec @ 160 mph. So what you may ask. Well this thing is on club plates and apparently as such is road legal in NSW. Puts the angst surrounding requisite loony mods to 2CVs in some so kind of context.
    roger

Quote Originally Posted by lhs2.1 View Post
    On Oz fleabay at the moment is a 1948 Ford Anglia van - yep, that's right, the sit up'n beg Anglia. Only this one has a fabricated rail chassis, 9" rear end and runs a blown big bore Chev. It is claimed that it has run 8.7 sec @ 160 mph. So what you may ask. Well this thing is on club plates and apparently as such is road legal in NSW. Puts the angst surrounding requisite loony mods to 2CVs in some so kind of context.
    roger
    Street rod plates ??? These types of mods are allowed on the "SR" scheme which is the same as club rego, but you need the street rod inspector to check your car to allow the plates to be issues. My brother inlaws into hotrods in victoria that allows for this. You could put your GS/2CV onto an SR permit and drive it 90days a year.

EDIT: I'll be buggered, look what I just found.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...treet_rod.aspx

seeya.
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    Around 60 two cylinder Citroens were currently registered in Queensland last year - this figure includes the Ami, Dyane and other 2 cylinder variants. This makes them dead common in comparison to several other Citroen models from the same era or later (in Queensland anyway).
    Outside of anything post BX, it's 2CVs I see most often on the roads. It's been months since I've seen a D or a CX. As for a GS, forget it!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Quote Originally Posted by lhs2.1 View Post
    roger
    It's got "S" plates... In victoria there defined by "SR" plates. If it was on club rego as opposed to street rod they'd be "H" plates
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

JBN

I had the manager of a local Repco store come out and look at Daffy Duck today. He then took a photo which he asked permission to put on that stores Facebook page. Within 2 minutes I had three different guys asking all sorts of questions, the girls working in the store giggling as I demonstrated the soft suspension and lack of anti-roll bars. Its like the circus has come to town.

That Street Rod stuff is seriously interesting, Shane. Reading those PDFs, I would say a 2CV would blitz it in. Only two things that might cause a problem is the interpretation of minimum metal thickness for the chassis and the way they describe the wheel rim sitting on the hub. Either way, a book on the history of the 2CV with the pages that state over 4 million were made betwwen 1947-1990, should convince an engineer that both suffice. I wonder if there is any conditional (cheap) registration for Street Rods in NSW, similar to that in Victoria.

John

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    He left the country a few years back.... I foudn his facebook profile a while back and it sounds like he's ready to do a runner from the next country before he's caught up with too Wasn't he stamping his own compliance plates (or something bizarre like that).

Bad burtie has the import approval reading that advert, so it really is just a matter of finding an engineer that's not a fruitloop to pass it for you.

It does make life a lot easier (not to mention cheaper) if any car you buy is currently registered and complianced.... any car that is, not just 2cv's

If you live in Victoria, these days these cars can go straight onto a club permit at no cost!!!! Of course it's then harder to sell and likely worth a lot less as it still can't be registered

seeya
    Shane L.
    Not much chances of his return after overstaying his visa with several years. Do the dirt on the big boss and you're out for good (luckily) BTW. NSW VIC and SA will not transfer cars from WA unless you owned it for min. 2 years. Don't know about QLD, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Bertie, I presume the bar that you are talking about is a frame behind the rear passengers seat to allow for the fitment of lap/sash 3 point safety belts plus provide an anchor point for child restraint seats (which is complete bullshit because any child in the rear of the car, restrained or otherwise, can't jump out of the fixed rear door windows).

I have one of those. Complete. Ready to be fitted (you will have to drill some holes, all washers and high tensile bolts come with the frame). It will cost very little (parts only). Call me. Buy it. Fit it. Register it. Sell it.

John
    Thank you John, I'll give you a ring in the next day or so. Hey, children can jump out of an Slough built 2CV you know? Very,very skinny ones though!

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post

I think I know who you are talking about (in Sydney?). I looked at some of his cars which them selves were not so much shonky, but one Dolly he managed to get a blue slip for had badly rusty sills!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    That's a real suprise, I thought that there would have been no Ami of Dyane's in Australia?

JBN

That's a real suprise, I thought that there would have been no Ami of Dyane's in Australia?
    There are quite a number of Dyanes, but very few Amis. Dyanes make good Raid cars because they are a hatchback (easy access to camping gear) and the spare wheel is in the engine bay (no need to unload the whole car to get to the spare as in a 2CV).

In WA there a re a lot of vans, which are popular with the ACE members who have a lot of mini Raids. If you are short enough (leg wise) to be comfortable in a 2CV, you are short enough to sleep in the back of the van. This can be a bit warmer than a tent in the zero temperature nights of the outback.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information