XM parts frustration
  • Register
  • Help

Default XM parts frustration

After over a year of trouble free daily driving, the might XM (series) decided to disgrace it's self at the airport, leaving a very large puddle of LHM.

Whipped it up on the ramp, crawlled under, looked up and got a drop of LHM straight up my nose

Turns out the power steering slave cyclinder is leaking- has a rubber boot on it similar to that on a GS HP pump which presumeably has gone hard.

This is where the frustration begins... Tried all the usual local suppliers to no avail. Searching on the web by part number brings up endless listings from on line stores. I now know "not in stock" in at least five languages.

I am hoping that that there is a Chevronics/CX basis equivelent for the XM- anyone found one yet? Alternatively, can a series 2 unit be made to fit, or can I use seals off a series 2 or Xantia unit?

Cheers,
    Andrew

Advertisement

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

Fellow Frogger

I assume you mean the leakback union on the end of the ram? For the later cars, it's given as 95 640 212, but this also appears in the XM1 parts list, so they are presumably the same. The cylinders may not be and I think the bush may be smaller on earlier cars.

As a temporary fix, you could try cleaning it carby cleaner and applying some urethane sealant.

Edit: The early cylinder is apparently 96168072 if that helps. Series 2 uses a couple of different numbers depending on the model.
    Last edited by David S; 29th January 2013 at 02:27 PM.

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    I assume you mean the leakback union on the end of the ram? For the later cars, it's given as 95 640 212, but this also appears in the XM1 parts list, so they are presumably the same. The cylinders may not be and I think the bush may be smaller on earlier cars.

As a temporary fix, you could try cleaning it carby cleaner and applying some urethane sealant.

Edit: The early cylinder is apparently 96168072 if that helps. Series 2 uses a couple of different numbers depending on the model.
    Hi David,

Thanks for the info - spend a few hrs on the web and phone yesterday - no luck with either part.

Looks like the urathane solution will have to do for now...

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

Thread Information