BX is best
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: BX is best

Default BX is best

I know I rabbit on every now and again about my BX, but can I just say, this is one of the best cars I have ever owned! I have had Toyota's and all but the were soul destroying. My little BX, well its a trouper. Over Christmas, after a basic service from the local Bob Jane, and still with half a clutch, It drove all the way to the family property 130km's north west of Bourke towards Hungerford without the slightest problem. I swear Citroen's are designed for dirt roads because it was faultless (except when I slightly misjudged the ruts at 110kph, and smashed the muffler, though I might add it was already rusty and original!). 370km's my little BX has done and it always starts and still beats most cars of the mark and its not even a 16v.

Advertisement

JBN

I always reckon Citroens are at their best if you drive them like you hate them. The more stick, the more they rise to the occasion. I liked both my BXs.

By the way, did you adopt the nom de plume "gazelle" after you got the BX? Is it an abbreviation of "at the speed of a thousand startled gazelles".

John

no, Gazelle comes from my first passion which has linkings to the BX in a roundabout way. I started off in cars with those gorgeous little cars from the UK made by the Rootes group. I had many Hillmans and always pined for the singer and Humber varieties. SO from age 15 after the first Hillman always wanted a Singer Gazelle. Great little car. Now the BX conection.... now Peugeot/Citroen took over the rootes group in the mid seventies and took on a few of their design attributes ie the 1725cc rootes group motor...this motor with ohc was compact and worked well with fwd unlike the peugeot motor of the same vintage. so even though it has been completely redesigned and is a bit grandfathers axe, the bx has the last motor of the Rootes group....

BX, the car that saved Citroen. We have had 3 and loved all of them. Quick enough, faultless handling and while not as good as a CX or D the ride is still very very good. Pity the current crop of new Cits have fallen down in this regard. Look after it. How about a photo.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger

An XM is often regarded as a big BX and I quite like the one I have ... pity about all the rubbish plastic though! At least the BX doesn't have quite the same front strut problems as the XM/Xantia, but the BX was clearly where the layout came from.

Are you after a Singer Gazelle? A paddock parts/project wagon. It's basically a Hillman Minx, but a friend used to sell them many years ago and said they were always very well finished for what they were. I have a couple of the Rootes workshop manuals from the period and they are quality books compared to what many other manufacturers put out to support their products.

Well, I owned a few of these BX's too and I loved them when they behaved, but in the end they were not economical viable to keep. I still have a pair of BX front struts to give away,any takers, free!

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bertie View Post
    Well, I owned a few of these BX's too and I loved them when they behaved, but in the end they were not economical viable to keep. I still have a pair of BX front struts to give away,any takers, free!
    I would be really keen to take those front struts if I could find a BX estate to go on them?

Are there any left?
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    ... BX estate ... Are there any left?
    Only if Simsmetal missed them!

A failed gearbox has probably ensured the end of most of them. I think there was one advertised in Brisbane a few weeks ago.

I love my BX. It is still a wonderful daily driver and is just the right compromise size for a family saloon and an easily parked city car.
    My 20,000 kms in the past two years have been without incident and two yearly services by Jason H have kept it running like the proverbial sewing machine. It is worth infinitely more to me than its sellable value.
    Doug

1974 DS23 Pallas ( Carby Manual)
    1990 BX TZI Automatique

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by Leapfrog View Post
    I love my BX. It is still a wonderful daily driver and is just the right compromise size for a family saloon and an easily parked city car.
    My 20,000 kms in the past two years have been without incident and two yearly services by Jason H have kept it running like the proverbial sewing machine. It is worth infinitely more to me than its sellable value.
    Ahah! That connection to Singer again.

John

Fellow Frogger!

"It's basically a Hillman Minx, but a friend used to sell them many years ago and said they were always very well finished for what they were."

From all I've read and learnt of the Rootes Group their cars were well engineered and built. A real quality manufacturer. The Humber Sceptre is one of my favorite cars. Unfortunately they suffered from archaic employee management and strike action led to their demise.

That is so true, 120l , tis a shame though, they were absolutely gutted by both Chrysler and Peugeot. The Hillman Minx in 1959 as a sole model outsold all of BMC products in Australia. But that aside I can't wait to see John at DS motors again and get a full Clutch hopefully next week....,

It's too bad you guys never got the BX TZD turbo, or TXD turbo in Australia.
    The TZD is nearly as high spec as the GTi or 16v, but with much cheaper running costs.
    At motorway speeds, it will cruise happily at about 130kph at 3000rpm all day long, and it feels really relaxed doing it, unlike any BX petrol which is starting to sound too busy for my liking at those speeds...
    And for a diesel, they are surprisingly quick.
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Fellow Frogger!

I would be really keen to take those front struts if I could find a BX estate to go on them?

Are there any left?
    I have one. Still used most days. Damaged drivers side from a BIG Skippy, but not enough to stop the mighty BX.

Are there any left?
    Hi I have a 1990 BX Estate white/grey and know another one the same colours for sale for about 3K. I got mine about 5 months back for the same price, the other ones a lot rougher. I took mine on a 1200km trip over the Victorian high country and along the Murray River over new year and it did not miss a beat.

BX is best-wp_20130110.jpg
    My BX Estate
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BX is best-wp_20130110.jpg  

Such is life.

My brothers 16v is up over 600,000km now and is still a joy to drive. He preferes it over his Xantia.

In 600,000 its had 1 clutch and the heads been off once because of a premature belt failure. It still looks good (when its clean) and if you didn't know the history you wouldn't believe any car in cover so many kms and remain in this condition.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flipperman View Post
    Hi I have a 1990 BX Estate white/grey and know another one the same colours for sale for about 3K. I got mine about 5 months back for the same price, the other ones a lot rougher. I took mine on a 1200km trip over the Victorian high country and along the Murray River over new year and it did not miss a beat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20130110.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	39560
    My BX Estate
    Is that the one from Ballarat that had a leaking rack seal It was one of the tidiest BX's I've seen in years.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I'd LOVE a BX. Anyone feel like shouting me one?

I'm already in love with the 16v engine, and I'd love a small/mid sized car with hydraulics.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/basse...ack/1011970081

One in WA for those who are interested!

Default BX is best

Everyone should have one once, just to know what they're missing out on.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Is that the one from Ballarat that had a leaking rack seal It was one of the tidiest BX's I've seen in years.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Yeppers, was all fixed for the RWC before pickup. Just got back from taking it out for dinner. Was so funny watching though the restaurant window a man trying to demonstrate to his wife how the car lifts up with his hands. I assume she was asking why it was sunken at the rear.

There's a story going round about 10 years ago someone rallied one because there rally car was off the road.

It was a HRA event (Historic rally association) there Cortina rally car wouldn't work and they were running late for the start of an event.
    There old BX19GT had been sitting out in the back yard for 12 months unloved after being replaced by a Peugeot. At about the 11th hour they gave up on the ford and took a battery and fuel out to the BX and its started straight away. After a quick check over they mounted the super oscar driving lights, riped out the glove box to mount the halda and navagation gear and hey presto, instant rally car.

The event was up in the high country around Bright, in the mountains with very short straights and quite twisty. The BX was clocking 160 on the straights and went on to take 1st outright. Someone took a photo of it coming down the mountain with the front discs glowing bright red.

Not bad for a stock standard car that had been sitting in a paddock for 12 months.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Love that story David! Its better than the one about the stock standard DS 21's that were taken off the boat in Perth and entered for the Round Australia Trial by Jean Claude Ogier. We all know how that turned out!!!
    Cheers Gerry

I was once accused of being greedy http://www.flickr.com/photos/bruce_hh/8035752930/
    when they were parked in the street and another Citroen owner driving past did a double-take and just had to comment.
    The one on the left was mum's, mine was the one on the right. 1 chassis number in between them.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    There's a story going round about 10 years ago someone rallied one because there rally car was off the road.

It was a HRA event (Historic rally association) there Cortina rally car wouldn't work and they were running late for the start of an event.
    There old BX19GT had been sitting out in the back yard for 12 months unloved after being replaced by a Peugeot. At about the 11th hour they gave up on the ford and took a battery and fuel out to the BX and its started straight away. After a quick check over they mounted the super oscar driving lights, riped out the glove box to mount the halda and navagation gear and hey presto, instant rally car.

The event was up in the high country around Bright, in the mountains with very short straights and quite twisty. The BX was clocking 160 on the straights and went on to take 1st outright. Someone took a photo of it coming down the mountain with the front discs glowing bright red.

Not bad for a stock standard car that had been sitting in a paddock for 12 months.
    I went to Bathust one year to watch a couple of BX's race, they came first in their class. Was the same year Caterpillar was racing the first holden ute, though the ute keep breaking fan belts and pulled out.

This is a video from the year before i believe with a stock car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWhuHkEwmsw This BX gets Airbourne.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information