Bring out your dead.... spheres
  • Register
  • Help

Default Bring out your dead.... spheres

I borrowed from the CCCNSW tool library the device for splitting two part suspension spheres. The reason was that a couple of local DS owning mates and I had a collection of dead or dying spheres.

There are some black arts involved n Citroen maintenance and the insides of a sphere is hidden to most of us.

The first sphere we opened was one that had become progressively stiffer during a long country trip. When we removed it from the car it proceeded to spew foam from the damper foam so obviously a porous diaphragm. The result when the gas filling port was cracked open was similarly entertaining as it appears that LHM had managed to enter the upper hemisphere ! Here is a Youtube video of the geyser that erupted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmdzTUd43No

Some of the sphere have obvious damage to the dampers. I believe these riveted ones were probably damaged by "broomsticks" used to move a dead car. Unless there is a way to replace dampers in these they are scrap.

Advertisement

Another pair of riveted damper spheres looked fine until opened and found small pieces of damper shim "floating" in the lower hemisphere. Again scrap:

One spare sphere had very low pressure and had a badly deteriorated diaphragm whilst another dead sphere contained nothing but a gloopy mess:

Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

We are keen to continue this voyage of discovery. If any one has dead spheres they want to donate to science, or restorable ones to sell, please let me know.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

UFO

Interesting. The video was good too, but unless you have experienced an LHM behind the diaphragm blow you haven't lived. Gus's garage wall and ceiling, and Gus, wore the effects of one my XM spheres doing that years ago. Yuck! I have seen D accumulator spheres come off cars at tech days with the remnants of diaphragm floating around inside.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    We are keen to continue this voyage of discovery. If any one has dead spheres they want to donate to science, or restorable ones to sell, please let me know.
    Be brave Michael. See if you can get hold of some LHS spheres, they're so much more entertaining, both the opening and the interiors.
    Many nuances of time to be observed.

Congratulations on your opening exercise to date.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Interesting, do we get to see the jigs you have made up for unscrewing them

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Interesting, do we get to see the jigs you have made up for unscrewing them

seeya,
    Shane L.

I'm sure the CCC NSW one (they only do suspension spheres I think) could be photographed.
    LHM spheres are a doddle.

Thread Information