Traction Wiper System Removal
  • Register
  • Help

Default Traction Wiper System Removal

Well! I haven't seen this system for a loooong while. It was on my 1948 Mark 4 Jaguar. I'm grateful the British only added the electrics otherwise we may have got that model Jag's Girling mechanical (AKA Tattslotto) brake system instead of hydraulics. That damn thing did 90mph but you needed quick reflexes to pull up in a straight line.

But I digress! The wipers don't go. When I tickle the "go" terminal on the wiper motor with a live wire, it growls for a second then stops.

Are there any tricks to removal? eg does the dash "fold out" or "hang down" to get access? I'm assuming that the motor will not detach from the cable & needs to be removed with the spindle drives attached.

Advertisement

You have to remove each of the wiper shaft assemblies from the cable, This means undoing the screws on the back plate. The cable can then be withdrawn along with the wiper motor once you have undone and removed the four cable clamps.
    Cheers Gerry

Tnx Gerry! BTW you have a PM.

Problem fixed!

Remove the wiper start knobs & 2 self tappers and the top of the wood dash comes off & exposes the spindle drives.

I worked out that the wiper motor is always alive via the ignition.

Engaging the drivers wiper completes the circuit to earth and THAT was the problem. I ran a clean connection to earth & off they went at a lively pace.

Thread Information