Big 6 Wiring Diagram
  • Register
  • Help

Default Big 6 Wiring Diagram

Many of the links in the Manual Thread no longer exist.

Can anyone post a link to a full wiring diagram?

Advertisement

I found this but it's a bit too schematic for my purpose.

http://www.traction-avant.co.uk/Shan...0Electrics.pdf

I have a loose wire and of immediate interest is how to tell which wires from the dynamo are output & field (they are both green on mine!) and where they screw into that wonderful organ box voltage regulator devised by the Prince of Darkness.

Fellow Frogger

This may help you, but it would have originally been postive earth and may have been changed to negative earth. Check first.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big 6 Wiring Diagram-six_1950_fig_110_wiring_sml.jpg   Big 6 Wiring Diagram-fig110_dynamo_portion.jpg  
    Last edited by David S; 24th January 2013 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Added the inset image.

The field wire is the smaller lug/terminal on the dynamo and goes to F on the voltage regulator.
    The output is the larger terminal/lug on the dynamo and goes to D on the voltage regulator
    1950 Light 15 - Blanche 'Claude'
    1949 Light 15 - Noir 'Emilie'
    1982 2CV Special - Lagune Bleu 'Daffie'
    2007 C4 HDI EGS - Rouge Lucifer
    1968 Velo Solex 3800 - Noir

Merci messieurs! I found the home home for the loose wire but je regret that BOTH dynamo terminals are earthed whether stationary or spinning & there is nada coming out of it when running so.....it has to come out.
    Is it Lucas? I note with interest that the distributor is not and that's good. My MGA runs a Bosch distributor and I like it that way!

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    This may help you, but it would have originally been postive earth and may have been changed to negative earth. Check first.
    These are both 6 volt diagrams. You need a Lucas system diagram for 12 volts.
    The 6 cyl wiring is very similar to the 4 cyl so a commonly available 4cyl diagram can be used.
    The diagram is too big a file to post here, but I have posted the regulator information which is essential to setting it up efficiently.
    It should be available from Tony Jacksons site. He is in the process of relocating to 'Drop Box"
    I could also Print one and post it to you if you send me your address as a personal message!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gerrypro; 25th January 2013 at 09:50 AM.
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger

Gerry, yes I'd not noticed that it was a 6 Volt diagram and I just assumed 12 Volts. However, that diagram was taken from a 1950 Slough Six manual, so one would assume it is relevant to the Slough cars. Checking the dynamo overhaul text section, operation 741, it tells you to check for 6.2-7.2V after the overhaul, so they must have been using 6 Volts up to that point.

When was the change to 12V made? The car in question must be about 1949/1950, but it could have anything fitted by now. Wouldn't the 6V diagram be indicative of the layout, if not the same?

Slough built Tractions were always 12 volts----but the manuals were sourced from Paris , translated and published by Slough without amendment for the 12volt systems ---hence 6 volt diagrams in Slough manuals.
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger

The Autocar's 1949 road test shows a 12V battery as part of the specs. It's certainly odd that Slough could translate or write a manual in English and not bother to change the voltage. There is other local content incorprated into it.

It is not just a matter of changing the voltage on the wiring diagram. The entire layout is different. It follows different locations in the placing of the looms. It incorporates junction boxes instead of junction bars and has tow fused circuits as opposed to none. It incorporates the use of a starter solenoid, trafficator signalling and parking lamp wiring. All of this plus the fact that the gauges of wire used are all lighter than that required fro the higher current flows of a 6 volt system.
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information