Once Upon a Time in Suburbia
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Icon4 Once Upon a Time in Suburbia

Tonight found me in Logan visiting a dear old friend. On my way from the northern suburbs from Brisbane, the low fuel light occasionally blipped at me as I carved up corners in the SM. As I love to live on the edge *cough*, I left my refuel for the drive back and this is where the story begins.

I pull into the BP in Hillcrest for some of that fancy 98 Premium stuff and proceed to dump 78 litres into the tank out of the possible 90. Meanwhile, a hotted up white van with three young men in it pull up beside me and start asking me questions about the car whilst clutching cans of rum 'n' coke respectively. My answers were: CitroŽn. SM. Maserati V6. 3 Weber Carburetors. 1972. Yes, she goes like the clappers.

Then the guys proceeded to ask me if I wanted to race them to the next service station. I politely said that I needed to check the air in my tyres. They said they were prepared to wait while I do this.

All I remember from that point on was seeing their headlights in my rear view mirror as they tried to keep up for about 5km

So a few suburbs later, I'm in Sunnybank. This is a part of town that has a rather sizable Asian population whose car of preference are a mix between German and Japanese motors. Because I'm technically in the passenger seat, I was forced to make eye contact with the driver to my left as he started to rev his Mitsubishi somethingsomething with his carload of mates blaring K-pop. Again I feel inclined to do the 'race to 70km/h' dash from the green light and with the SM's rather long legs, I make it to the next set in front. When they caught up, the driver shouted at me, "cool car!" I let off a wry grin and thanked them.

Now I'm heading onto the freeway into town minding my own business and there's a BMW jumping in and out of lanes to catch up with me. He comes up to my left at 100ish km/h and toots his horn and gives me a nod and....

...well you get the story. I see BMW tail-lights this time as I know there was a fixed speed camera ahead and I hate photos of myself. Sunday nights in this big country town isn't as laid back as many think.

In all my years of motoring, I've never experienced this sort of malarkey - aside from the time in my life when I had a GS with a 12A Wankel rotary under the bonnet and even then it wasn't as boyracerish as this. Work colleagues in their hotted up Falcons and WRXs regale me with exciting races along suburban tarmacs all over this river city and as I heard these stories I would think to myself, "what a load of nonsense - I haven't seen you guys once in a hooning story on ACA!"

Advertisement

From what I gathered from tonight aside from the fact that I really should just drive the speed limit and be a good little boy, the SM does look fast to people and they're quite keen to find that out first hand - especially late at night.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

UFO

I have heard that people who own exotic cars often tire of driving them because of the constant challenges and idiots trying to get close to have a look.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

JBN

You picked a good time to visit Logan. A week or so ago, you may have had a rock thrown through the windscreen.

You were lucky to find a BMW whose driver actually likes to operate the machine. I am still looking. Most seem to belong to the "Look at me, look at me" brigade. I understand that BMW stands for Big Money Worries, so most are probably careful of their "investment".

John

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    I have heard that people who own exotic cars often tire of driving them because of the constant challenges and idiots trying to get close to have a look.
    Yes, its tiring.

Jo

I think its the exhaust note which brings forth attraction, surprise and distraction. You can't fake that sound. It's Italian, and the petrolheads know that sound. Another factor is that I'm in an LHD car and they notice that. I don't think it's the LHM they're attracted to per se.

For as long as I can remember, Logan's always been a cesspool for louts in beefed up family saloons and utes with penchants for road rage and violence. Even in the ID I get people enraged at how I can so easily bob in and out of lanes on freeways when under-speeding drivers are occupying the far right lane and try to emulate my snaking effect through lanes without my proven success.

I just want to get from point A to point B with very little fanfare whilst teetering on the edge of being photographed by a Smokey. And that's in any car I have.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

What a different world we live in. During the week at lunch, our neighbours were swapping war stories about their recent loss of points. speeding 38 in a school zone, 54 in the town etc and just slowing to a crawl at the stop signs.
    The radars are breeding like flies but these urban revenue collecting points were all parked cars with tinted windows, no one around and just a flash from the radar in the rear window. They do really well at a stop sign near the lycťe, I doubt that any more than 10% of the cars turning there do any more than a token slow down. It keeps two police busy filling in the forms while the waiting nabbed line the pavement making the corner actually dangerous. Racing? Forget it!
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

My father use to get so sick of it in his Porsche 911. It was a sportomatic so it would take off in any gear but it always sounded like it was going hard. He'd always get someone lining him up and would check out there car to decided if he needed a 3rd gear or 2nd gear start to beat them.

I remember once a V8 american thing had him lined up and after a few kms of traffic light drags the yank driver thought he was really good because he was keeping with or just beating a 911. Finally dad said I'm sick of this idiot it time to use 1st gear. From then on he pulled up behind us not beside us.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

VIP Sponsor

Yes, wouldn't want to try it Melbourne either.
    On the other hand just driving around in my standard 1300cc 203 gets an amazing response from people of all ages.

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    What a different world we live in. During the week at lunch, our neighbours were swapping war stories about their recent loss of points. speeding 38 in a school zone, 54 in the town etc and just slowing to a crawl at the stop signs.
    The radars are breeding like flies but these urban revenue collecting points were all parked cars with tinted windows, no one around and just a flash from the radar in the rear window. They do really well at a stop sign near the lycťe, I doubt that any more than 10% of the cars turning there do any more than a token slow down. It keeps two police busy filling in the forms while the waiting nabbed line the pavement making the corner actually dangerous. Racing? Forget it!

I/ve never been to Logan ,but from what i/ve seen on tv maybe they should change the spelling and replace the L with a B

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post

When I was in Brisbane just over a year ago driving to work and back in the Floride on the freeways it was far from being tiring, cars used to slow down to have a look and all three lanes would be doing 100 or under. I even went down Logan way a few times and no one tried to race me, perhaps the hole in the muffler made it sound loud and to fast.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    Even in the ID I get people enraged at how I can so easily bob in and out of lanes on freeways when under-speeding drivers are occupying the far right lane and try to emulate my snaking effect through lanes without my proven success.

I just want to get from point A to point B with very little fanfare whilst teetering on the edge of being photographed by a Smokey. And that's in any car I have.
    This rings very true to me, donat!

I don't face the forced challenge so much in the 306 I'm driving at the moment; but it is fun to surprise the occasional falcodore! The revs of indignation feel good when it's coming from behind your little white hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by FedGrapes View Post
    This rings very true to me, donat!

I don't face the forced challenge so much in the 306 I'm driving at the moment; but it is fun to surprise the occasional falcodore! The revs of indignation feel good when it's coming from behind your little white hatch.
    They let you get in front, or they are indignant that you took of faster than them to then go slow.
    Happens to me all the time, soccer mums in their Klugers/foresters blow me away then sit 10 under.

From the net, 0-100km/h times

SM high 8's
    306 s16 around 9 seconds (slower than my fuego)
    average white van +18 seconds (just made that up)
    toyota tarago, just over 7 seconds

Foulcadores......

povo pack 4l falcon, < 7seconds.
    povo Commodore, 7.4 seconds.

SS commodore 5 seconds
    xr6 5.6 seconds

FPV 4.9 sec
    hsv 4.9

Sorry for the reality that a 2007 7 seat people mover is quicker in a straight line than a '70's sports coupe with italian pedigree.(quicker than a v6 porshe cayane too!!!).

Jo

VIP Sponsor

The faster cars that get, the slower people drive them!! Same applies to the old days I never saw a GTHO being driven fast.
    Also cornering speed, people just about stop for corners, strange considering the work that has been done on handling by the manufacturers.
    Funnily enough I notice this most of all when I'm driving the 203, maybe I don't like having to accelerate back up to speed again when balked?
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    They let you get in front, or they are indignant that you took of faster than them to then go slow.
    Happens to me all the time, soccer mums in their Klugers/foresters blow me away then sit 10 under.

SM high 8's

Foulcadores......

SS commodore 5 seconds
    xr6 5.6 seconds

FPV 4.9 sec
    hsv 4.9

Sorry for the reality that a 2007 7 seat people mover is quicker in a straight line than a '70's sports coupe with italian pedigree.(quicker than a v6 porshe cayane too!!!).

Jo

Icon6

G'day,
    there is another thread, about a GTB and AMG, from memory, and an unmarked everyday car. Said AMG and GTB left the lights rather fast, followed by said unmarked car, which suddenly was showing red and blue lights. Be careful out there.

ps.

I must admit, but don't tell anyone, that I have surprised a few Jappa ******s with the unmarked 18E
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Jo, those sorts of guides suggest I'd be lucky to get anything under 17/100km fuel consumption but I've always kept it under 14.5.

It's about right in the 0-100 stakes but when you take in its ability to slice corners with little to no braking, that's when any Citroen comes to life - even my 1015cc flat four, air-cooled GS.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Also cornering speed, people just about stop for corners, strange considering the work that has been done on handling by the manufacturers.

Graham
    Too true.
    How is it when it rains for the first time in a few month and all those people in premo cars, with premo tyres, abs, traction and stability control go slower than a hillman minx on retreads.

Jo

It's about right in the 0-100 stakes but when you take in its ability to slice corners with little to no braking, that's when any Citroen comes to life - even my 1015cc flat four, air-cooled GS.
    I reckon you could say most french cars are like that.
    The big boys loose you on the straits and you pull them back in on the corners, especialy in the wet.

Jo

SM high 8's

Foulcadores......

SS commodore 5 seconds
    xr6 5.6 seconds

FPV 4.9 sec
    hsv 4.9

Jo
    To tell a more complete story ....

SM high 8's
    toyota tarago, just over 7 seconds : this is V6 @202 KW. Most are 4cyl @ 125 kw odd
    and yes, they surprise some drivers from the lights (up to 60 k of course )

Foulcadores......

SS commodore 5 seconds
    xr6 5.6 seconds

FPV 4.9 sec
    hsv 4.9

It's not all about the cars, but about the driver and car. I quite often surprise people in the CX because I pay attention and know my car. Better than that, we are; 'as one'
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    The faster cars that get, the slower people drive them!! Same applies to the old days I never saw a GTHO being driven fast.
    Funnily enough I notice this most of all when I'm driving the 203, maybe I don't like having to accelerate back up to speed again when balked?
    Graham
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    It's not all about the cars, but about the driver and car. I quite often surprise people in the CX because I pay attention and know my car. Better than that, we are; 'as one'
    As both Graham and Greg have implied, the driver is the most important component. I was heading south towards Kiama bends yesterday afternoon and came upon a recent SS Commodore in the left lane. I know the car and the dual lane road and I usually drive the D around there at the 80 km/h limit unless raining or slowed by other traffic. So I went to the outside lane and easily cruised past the dunnydore and some others then got back to the left lane as there was nothing else to pass. About 1 km later when the road straightens prior to the last bend the dunnydore driver suddenly decided he could do 90ish and shot past, but then braked for the final bend. I was behind him coming down the hill into a road works 60 zone. I'm sure he had the required effects of appendage enlargiitus from his heroic act...
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

SM high 8's

Foulcadores......

SS commodore 5 seconds
    xr6 5.6 seconds

FPV 4.9 sec
    hsv 4.9

Jo
    Reality check well needed! The S16 has a valve issue too, so low rev power is down on standard as well.

Just wanted to set the record that I'm no 10 under driver. I am aware as putting my location as "Perth" does make it seem a distinct possibility though!

I reckon you could say most french cars are like that.
    The big boys loose you on the straits and you pull them back in on the corners, especially in the wet.

Jo
    This is where those headlights disappear in the rear view mirror. It's also when my left ear gets chewed off by the passenger...

"What? The speed limit is 70, and I didn't even lose traction!"

I'd just like to go on record to say I don't like either dropping the clutch or doing a line-lock as engine out jobs and Michelins don't come cheap! And also I feel safer in a Citroen from any era post TA than in any other car, and that have to do with the hundreds and thousands of kms of driving I've chalked up driving pre-PSA product with no fender benders that were my fault.

As much as I love being on here and reading stuff, I also enjoy getting out on the road and driving my cars as often as I can.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

UFO

Agreed! There is no glory in major mechanical work that is a result of stupidity. Watch this and chuckle at stupidity doubled.

Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I'd just like to go on record to say I don't like either dropping the clutch or doing a line-lock as engine out jobs and Michelins don't come cheap!
    I'm the opposite.
    My attitude with tyres is the sooner I chew through the old set, the sooner I can get some nice new ones.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I was thinking the same thing .... A CX turbo is a lot faster than an SM ....... I wouldn't dream of trying to drag even a base model fowlcan ..... the grannie driving would give me the finger and press the go pedal to the floor and leave me for dead The base models are about the same speed as a CX turbo .... all day, every day, just by pushing the loud pedal to the floor with a slugomatic gearbox. It would probably take me 30 clutch, drivetrain destroying attempts to even come close to matching the falcon that granny pushed the "go" pedal in

seeya,
    Shane L,
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information