xsara starting issues???
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default xsara starting issues???

Hi all, newbie here.Have recently bought a 2002 xsara 1.6, one owner with 128,000 kms.Great car and I love to drive her.One issue that I do have is that sometimes when I go to start her all I get when I turn the key to start is a quiet click and the dash warning lights go out. Now before you say battery I have had it checked out (the batt) and it is OK. So I turn the key to off and so far when I try to restart she fires up.This is only intermittant.I am thinking perhaps immobiliser issue or could it be something else? Is this a common fault?Anyway thanks in advance and I will continue to enjoy ma voiture francais!!

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

Bad earth? Burnt contacts in ignition switch or starter solenoid? Overall, you'd normally think either battery or starter as it's not cranking properly. You just have to check everything logically.

How was the battery tested and how old is it? A professional load testing kit or just the battery voltage with a multimeter?

Tadpole

,Thanks for answering so promptly, I checked the earth wires and they are secure and look fine, the battery appears to be March 2011 and it was checked with a load testing kit and came up good.I have not checked the ignition switch as I don't know how to do that. The solenoid does not make that loud clicking sound that they usually do when they are bad.BTW I have just come back from driving her down the street and back and she started four times with no hesitation or problem. As I said it is a very intermittant problem and I am tempted to just let it go until it becomes a larger prob. What do you think??? Thanks again.

It may be that the positive battery post needs filing.
    The taper doesn't match the terminal.
    I had that in the Xantia, and now in the C5.
    2003 C5 2.0i AL4 205,000 km 76372389

Tadpole

Thanks I will have a look.

VIP Sponsor

Quiet a common problem, with Xsara and Xantia usually is in the contacts at base of ignition lock... Need to replace the electrical contact part.

We had a 306. It went thru a phase where it would either start in the normal manner OR nothing would happen at the twist of the key. It took quite a while to find the culprit. One battery terminal had a screw down isolator. It was clean and not corroded, so it looked OK. But it simply wasn't quite tight enough.

Clean and tighten both battery terminals. No cost to try and it might just solve your problem.
    Robert Thorne
    Brisbane
    Citroenless - for now...

Tadpole

Hey Clogzz, you were right, replaced the positive terminal connection with a more standard affair and no probs for a week now thanks.

Tadpole

A final post, the intermittant fault did return and became such an issue that my wife became reluctant to drive.Finally after much investigation we found the crankshaft position sensor to be the culprit.All that had to be done was remove the sensor, give it a good clean (11 years of grease and crud build up) and bingo!! a final fix.

Fellow Frogger!

How could the crankshaft position sensor give the non starter operation problems described at the beginning of this posting ?

Richard

Tadpole

My knowledge of the operation of this is a bit sketchy but bear with me.I am told that the position sensor sends a signal to the ECU to tell it if the engine is running or not, the ECU now decides whether the engine can be started or not.If the sensor sends a weak or intermittant signal the starting operation can be confused,weak or non existant.The clincher came when I disconnected the electrical lead to the position sensor and the engine exhibited the exact same faults as before. As mentioned I removed the position sensor and found it to be in a filthy state, with dirt and oil all over the magnet.I degreased it and then cleaned it up and the engine now turns over and starts normally. Seems to have been the problem all the time. Cheers!!

Tadpole

And the problem returned, turned out that the crankshaft position sensor story was a bum lead. It was the starter solenoid all along, replaced the starter and now finally, no more starting problems.

Quote Originally Posted by citroenut View Post
    How could the crankshaft position sensor give the non starter operation problems described at the beginning of this posting ?

Richard
    Richard, it's a very common problem on the 2001>2003 and possibly beyond Renault engines too.
    I have cleaned the sensor on my Scenic a few times over the car's life and it is just something you have to do occassionally.
    On the Renault it comes from positioning it right above the flywheel/clutch assembly and the resultant dust does them no favours. Manual and auto suffer the same fate though
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Thread Information