Hello!
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Hello!

Default Hello!

I am now the very happy owner of a Big 6!

I've admired Light 15's for as long as I can remember but was never driven to seek one out, so, when a good mate said he was getting a bit too old run his Big 6, I guess my time had come.

I've been thinking about a saloon for yonks as I and SWMBO, having only one good knee between us (& I've got it!!), are finding our delightful MGA 1500 literally painful to enter & exit. We will keep it for a while but I have had to part with my Range Rover Classic and my beloved BMW R100RS *cries tears of blood*

The 6 is in wonderful cosmetic condition but a quick inspection revealed:

Advertisement

- a nasty clutch judder
    - 2-3 engine oil leaks
    - non-funtioning dynamo. Hey! With the LR, MG AND the Fergy, I'm no stranger to the Prince of Darkness!
    - hard starting, erratic idle buuuut after decades of VW's Solexes are a breeze!

I'll start my account with a question:

Are those headlights correct? They seem a bit large to me. No biggie at this stage as they still look damn fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hello!-img_0086.jpg   Hello!-img_0080.jpg   Hello!-img_0081.jpg   Hello!-img_0082.jpg   Hello!-img_0083.jpg   Hello!-img_0084.jpg  

Hello!-img_0085.jpg  
    Last edited by geodon; 16th January 2013 at 06:29 PM. Reason: typo

Fellow Frogger!

Congratulaions.Big sixes are great Tractions to own.
    I have a 1951 model - your could be a 1948 with the three spoke steering wheel.
    The head lights are the correct size.
    You should think about joining CCOCA
    www.citroenclassic.org.au

cheers
    Hawk
    aka Ted Cross 0400592208

Fellow Frogger

That does look very tidy indeed. Well done.

The clutch is a toggle type, so it may need adjustment of the toggles. The workshop manual (which you can download - see the sticky at the top of this form) has a prcedure for setting them up on the bench with a jig. I think the 'Bibax'(?) rubber driveshaft joints could also slip if they are very old and the rubber is hard, but others would have first hand experience dealing with those.

You also want to make sure the nut on the ring gear is tight as they have a habit of coming loose, which means excess endfloat for the crank and clutch, but can also cause the ring gear carrier to crack. Has the engine been overhauled recently? From memory, there's no seal on the crank at the back (it has a scroll), so overfilling the crankcase or parking on a steep hill may cause what seems to be a leak.

The dynamo may be as simple as worn brushes, but should be easily fixed.

It doesn't have the extra vents beside the radiator, so it's pre-1950 and they used the larger lights, so it looks correct. The bumpers are different to what you see on later cars, but were used for a while and you see them quite clearly in the period advertising.
    Last edited by David S; 16th January 2013 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Congratulaions.Big sixes are great Tractions to own.
    I have a 1951 model - your could be a 1948 with the three spoke steering wheel.
    The head lights are the correct size.
    You should think about joining CCOCA
    www.citroenclassic.org.au

cheers
    Hawk
    aka Ted Cross 0400592208

Yes!

Quite correct Ted. It's a 1949.

And judging from the literature that came with the vehicle, the PO was a member and I will follow on.

George

Well done on your purchase. I have a 4cyl and a big6. the 6 is my favourite. After you learn how to drive them and know just what they can do you will find that it is a very rewarding car to drive.
    congratulations.

Thread Information