can anyone identify year/model of my d from id plates
  • Register
  • Help

Icon10 can anyone identify year/model of my d from id plates

hey guys
    should be simple but i am having trouble trying to identify what year model vehicle
    i have recently purchased as getting confused as to how to work info out with details i have
    so will leave it to the experts
    have uploaded a pic but in case it doesnt work the main citroen id plate says

type serie
    DS FD
    00FD5543

and there is a smaller purple rectangular plate below that which says
    S.A.A. CITROEN

and eng no starts with DY3

Advertisement

any help appreciated
    jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails can anyone identify year/model of my d from id plates-citroen-id1.jpg  

It's probably a 1974 D Special
    Engine is a 1985cc 108bhp.
    Further information can be purchased from the factory, using the number on the purple plate which is actually the individual build plate.

Hope this helps.

Hi Jeff
    You probably need to find this site as a source of all sorts of DS/ID info,

http://www.nuancierds.fr

You will also find on the following site that your car is listed as either a D Super or D Special from 1974, as Richo says, but there are very few D Supers in Australia.

http://www.citroen-ca.com/DSserials.html
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Fellow Frogger!

That American source is not the most effective. I have just looked and note there is no reference to the Borg Warner automatics, so it may pay to look elsewhere as well.

Quote Originally Posted by levit8 View Post
    hey guys
    should be simple but i am having trouble trying to identify what year model vehicle
    i have recently purchased as getting confused as to how to work info out with details i have
    so will leave it to the experts
    have uploaded a pic but in case it doesnt work the main citroen id plate says

type serie
    DS FD
    00FD5543

and there is a smaller purple rectangular plate below that which says
    S.A.A. CITROEN

and eng no starts with DY3

any help appreciated
    jeff
    I believe that car number OOFD5543 belongs to a 1973 production year DSuper.
    This would match the DY3 1985cc 108hp engine.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

car is actually badged on the boot as a d special and was sold to me as a 1975 model, but i wasnt sure
    so posted this without saying that much as numbers decode is confusing to me and wanted to see if it
    was just me who couldnt figure it out
    appreciate everyones input but still not sure

Hi jeff,
    Referring to Original Citroen DS by John Reynolds with Jan de Lange and DS Le Grand Livre by Olivier de Serres ( which is considered by most worldwide enthusiasts as the definitive works, the printed information on numbers, there are errors.
    The de Serres book was printed first, a more informative text rather than colour plates. The English language book by John Reynolds copied the errors in numbers which de Serres printed, which further confuses.
    My own DS23 Safari is one such example.

The purple build plate, is the key to the production model and type, as well as the day it was produced.
    This specific information is available from Citroen, after a fee is paid.
    The details of contact according to the web are
    http://www.citroen.co.uk/about-us/hi...conservatoire/

Further emails on your part to the link provided should be able to precisely identify your car.
    The other alternative is that there is evidence in the sales records for cars sold initially by the distributor (which is incomplete) held by the CCC NSW.

Further to this, is there a compliance plate on the car? usually located on the RH upper firewall, but can be on the left too. Compliance plate presence does not guarantee a manufacturing date, but can be useful as a guide.
    Does the frame number, which is located under the scuttle rubber towards the right of the car confirm the black/white plate numbers?

If the car is a 1975 model, it will have a hazard lamps button on the dash. They were first fitted for that model year, though many owners have added them over the years, so not a definitive identification method.

Hope this helps, as the texts don't!

cheers
    richo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails can anyone identify year/model of my d from id plates-reynolds_1024x683.jpg   can anyone identify year/model of my d from id plates-serres-1972-_1024x683.jpg   can anyone identify year/model of my d from id plates-serres-1973_1024x683.jpg   can anyone identify year/model of my d from id plates-serres-1974_1024x683.jpg   can anyone identify year/model of my d from id plates-serres-1975_1024x683.jpg  
    Last edited by richo; 18th January 2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: further clarification

I was working off the numbers in the Original DS book. Do you have a copy?
    I can scan the numbers page for 00FD series cars if you like.
    Maybe someone else with a copy can double check?

Hmm then again, I guess boot lids can be changed due to damage or rust, and for certain insurance purposes you may find in the past that there was no reference for a DSuper 1973, the closest thing insurance companies may have found in a generic list was the ever present listing for "DSpecial Deluxe 1975".
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW

Quote Originally Posted by fritzelhund View Post
    That American source is not the most effective. I have just looked and note there is no reference to the Borg Warner automatics, so it may pay to look elsewhere as well.
    Us Yankees never got the BW autobox in the D.
    We didn't get the BVM5 either.

DS

PM me your engine details and I will look in the CCCNSW ledgers for you.
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    Us Yankees never got the BW autobox in the D.
    IMHO, on a loaded up DS23EFI(etc) your not missing much.

The non pallas DS23 caby auto that I've been lucky enough to drive the Auto box is a much nicer drive.

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    We didn't get the BVM5 either.
    Again IMHO on my late model 23 Safari the 5 speed is a great combination with the big engine!

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    PM me your engine details and I will look in the CCCNSW ledgers for you.
    Yes sadly the sales ledgers we have do not list body numbers, only engine numbers.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Yes sadly the sales ledgers we have do not list body numbers, only engine numbers.
    Also, If I recall correctly, there are batch/shipment numbers for the late/last entries. This can be cross references with other vehicle numbers.

Ive had a bit of practice with interpreting cross reference written ledgers that to the casual eye make no sense.....

Thread Information