2002 Berlingo 1.4L 5-speed manual gearbox whine HELP!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 2002 Berlingo 1.4L 5-speed manual gearbox whine HELP!

Hi all,

I have just bought a 2002 Berlingo 1.4 manual with a gearbox whine (bearing?) in 1st and 2nd gears and is also audible at idle with the clutch engaged.

Advertisement

Do I need a new gearbox? Or is it an easily replaceable part?

Quite worried about costs as I've just acquired it sight unseen and didn't realise the extent of the "slight gearbox noise in low gears".

Also, it stalls at idle occasionally and seems to be a bit down on power. Any suggestions please?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Otherwise the Berlingo is WONDERFUL!

Cheers,

Byron

Fellow Frogger

It could need a gearbox bearing kit. The pinion and input shaft bearings are common culprits. If the pinion bearing fails, it can spit out a roller that will ruin the crownwheel and pinion. If the input shaft bearing fails, it will probably be the race breaking up and then the clutch will be destroyed. If there are problems with the bearings, it won't be long before you break it, so it's a false economy not to do the job properly and fairly promptly. You also want to ensure the rivet that holds two parts of one of the selectors together is not loose and about to come adrift.

Clutch release/thrust bearings are fairly common failures in the Berlingo, but that wouldn't explain the gear whine. Have you checked the oil level? Early models have a level plug and it should take 1.8 litres when empty.

Re lack of power. Are you using premium fuel or the cheap stuff? Use 95 or better. Try cleaning the throttle body out as a start and consider whether the oxygen sensor is working properly.

Tadpole

Hi David,

Thank you very much for that information. I guess I should try and obtain a gearbox bearing kit and an oxygen sensor then.

If you or anybody else knows of an inexpensive source then please let me know.

Cheers,

Byron

Fellow Frogger

You might want to get a local mechanic to check it before spending any money. Check the oil level firstly and see if it's low. Even drive another Berlingo and see how it compares. A tin box can be noisy and reverse is definitely audible. If you decide to change the gearbox bearings, you need a good tool kit including a press for a DIY job. There are also seals and bushes to consider in a rebuild and it might be a false economy not to change the clutch.

The oxygen sensor can sometimes be impossible to remove from the manifold as the heat distorts the threads over time. Change the fuel filter and ensure it's running Premium and see how it behaves before deciding the oxygen sensor has had it without any diagnostics or checking of fault codes. When it's failed, the engine has very little power. If you buy from Citroen, it will be several hundred for the oxygen sensor.

It may help if you look up the part numbers at service.citoen.com and then price the parts. You should be able to get parts from Dapco, Caravelle, European Auto Imports, maybe via eBay, possibly from Europe (postage cost?), but certainly the local dealer.

Tadpole

That's very very helpful.

Tadpole

That's very very helpful. Thank you again David.

Byron

Fellow Frogger!

I got a bit of stuff from a bloke in Queensland for my Berlingo and he told me he had an overhaul kit for MA5 G/box . He was ok to deal with
    Terry Johnston 0753138323 or 0435715082. If you get stuck give him a try. I like my Berlingo too.
    Regards Dennis.

Tadpole

Thank you Dennis. I'll keep that in mind too.
    This is a very helpful site. Very glad to be part of it. Thank you everybody.

Thread Information