• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Should I buy a C5?

Fellow Frogger!

Default Should I buy a C5?

Hi all,

After many years of owning Renaults, I'm thinking about crossing over to the dark side and buying a C5. I've been eyeing off second-hand 6 cylinder X7 HDIs.

I was hoping some C5 owners could share their experiences. I live about 70km north of Melbourne's CBD and work in Melbourne's northern suburbs. With an annual tally of 40-50,000km, reliability is absolutely essential. I'm also a little concerned about maintenance as I believe servicing costs are very high.

Advertisement

Any feedback would be very much appreciated!

Fellow Frogger

The 4 cylinder will be less expensive to keep and you will not notice the difference 99% of the time. The V6 usually had bigger rims and tyres are likely to cost more than for smaller rims often used on the 4. The appetite for brakes seems quite variable, but you could be doing pads and rotors annually with that usage if there's a lot of stop/start involved. Whether it remains reliable depends on how old it is now and how it's been cared for so far. There were a few recalls and some would potentially affect long-term reliability, so you want to check for any car you buy. The V6 is a lovely car, but for your planned usage, consider the 4 cylinder models.

Fellow Frogger!

Cheers David.

The vast majority of my driving is freeway, so brake consumption wouldn't be an issue. To that end, the superior acceleration in a 6 is probably not necessary, but I have a hang-up about the size of the car with a 4-banger. My current car, a 2L Megane, can be brisk when it needs to be but I wouldn't want to add a couple of hundred kilos to it.

Can you tell me roughly what a standard service would be worth?

Fellow Frogger

Service costs are going to depend on where and what's done. A quick call to your nearest dealer will give you a guide for minor and major jobs, but whoever does the work needs to use the correct oil. The 2.0 HDi should really be quite adequate, but only you can determine if it suits you by a test drive. If you needed a bit more power from a 2.0 HDi, look for later cars from 2010 on with the uprated DW10C engine, which should have RHH in the VIN.

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    Hi all,

After many years of owning Renaults, I'm thinking about crossing over to the dark side and buying a C5.

My dear man, changing over from Renault to Citroen can only be described as Enlightment. It never cease to amaze me - as a Frenchman- that people out here on the other side of the world would want to ever consider buying a Renault....what for? Who wants to drive a pale copy of a Camry that is less reliable, has now suspension, the AL4 gearbox and virtually no after sales service....why?
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Who wants to drive a pale copy of a Camry that is less reliable,
    The Megane has 243,000km and counting, with no more major fix than a new key;

the AL4 gearbox
    It's a manual

and virtually no after sales service....why?
    Simple... I don't get it serviced

In all seriousness however, I'm not interested in the Fluence or Latitude as a replacement because they're indistinguishable from a Hyundai. I went to a dealer and couldn't even bring myself to sit inside one.

I'd love to have kept the Megane forever and been one of those guys who sends a photo of his car with 1,000,000km to the manufacturer and gets a new car for free. Sadly, Renault's outrageous parts pricing means that I will have the world's most well-optioned paddock bomb. At least I still have the 12!

Which gearbox would the 2008 model have?

Fellow Frogger!

I am following this thread with interest as I love the look of them. I keep reading horror stories about the previous generation but have not heard any tales of woe about the x7.

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

The Megane has 243,000km and counting, with no more major fix than a new key;

It's a manual

Simple... I don't get it serviced

In all seriousness however, I'm not interested in the Fluence or Latitude as a replacement because they're indistinguishable from a Hyundai. I went to a dealer and couldn't even bring myself to sit inside one.

I'd love to have kept the Megane forever and been one of those guys who sends a photo of his car with 1,000,000km to the manufacturer and gets a new car for free. Sadly, Renault's outrageous parts pricing means that I will have the world's most well-optioned paddock bomb. At least I still have the 12!

Which gearbox would the 2008 model have?

Great to see you Guys took my remarks the way they were intended, just a bit of fun.

I share your impressions of the latest Renaults.... trying hard to look like Kias! Mind you Citroen also tried their hand at looking...German. Somehow they pulled it through. Personally I like my model C5, the last one of the previous model. 2.0 HDI with Mitsubishi 6 speed auto...It's a delight to drive. I have not driven the latest C5 I agree it looks good but in a bland kind of way.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Hi all,

reliability is absolutely essential. I'm also a little concerned about maintenance as I believe servicing costs are very high.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated!
    Hmm. We've had a Xantia for ten years and it has never broken down, although one heater radiator replacement has been required.

Honestly, "absolute reliability" is a big call. Our Renault R8 has been owned by us for 39 years and has never failed to get home under its own power. Similarly for our Peugeot 306, but it has had a couple of heater radiators in 18 years.

Generally, if you want total reliability, you might need to go "boring" and buy a T******a. I suspect if you get the right French car you'll be there, but I share your question. We are keeping our ultra-reliable older ones for the present.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

My C5 2l/hdi is now 2 years 2months old 30,000+Km. No faults. A friend who bought at the same time has done 40,000+Km. no faults.
    Bags of power and torque for a heavy car. Exceptional economy ( 5.3L/100 Km. on a country run). Service costs have been $350 to $450 at the dealers. My friends 40,000Km. service was $700. No creaks or other noises. Very good ride. Drive all day without the old back complaining. ( unlike my VW). Have not heard of any faults occurring with this model. This is my second C5. Nice car!. Allan.

In all seriousness however, I'm not interested in the Fluence or Latitude as a replacement because they're indistinguishable from a Hyundai.
    Funny you should say that, the other day i was thinking the hyundai veloster looks more like a renault than the latest offerings from renault.

Jo

I own a 2003 C5 wagon with a 16V 2l petrol four and auto box. It is not perfect but a very nice car. Just completed a return trip to Sydney, non stop (except for petrol) both ways, fully loaded with canoe on the roof and beach stuff and family inside. It didn't miss a beat and as long as you drop it down a cog when speed starts to drop from 110 on inclines it will stay there. It is a very comfortable car and relaxing to drive. I love wagons and the ability to throw stuff in the back or on top.
    I bought it in 2008 with 40,000 k's. It has now done nearly 100,000. I have had it serviced once a year with no major problems. The issues I have had with it are gearbox solenoid packed up and I had to have it towed. Battery went and I had to have it towed (being a modern car when the battery starts to fail it goes wierd rather than not starting). Replaced a door lock. CD player packed up as did rear tailgate glass lock (hardly used it anyway), rear suspension bushes are squeaky. It also has a strage issue with the ECU which means I have to stop it (for 30 secs) after driving it for 1 -2 minutes to let the ECU reset. After that it is fine. But I still thinks it's a good car and I will keep it for quite a while yet. They also are excellent value for money used cars.
    cheers Tony

No.
    Froggie electrics/ electronics are woeful.

Quote Originally Posted by deesse View Post
    It also has a strage issue with the ECU which means I have to stop it (for 30 secs) after driving it for 1 -2 minutes to let the ECU reset. After that it is fine. But I still thinks it's a good car and I will keep it for quite a while yet. They also are excellent value for money used cars.
    cheers Tony
    Is this an ongoing problem? I think Gerry Freed had the right idea about what do about early c5s. I couldn't stand a fault like this.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by deesse View Post
    It also has a strage issue with the ECU which means I have to stop it (for 30 secs) after driving it for 1 -2 minutes to let the ECU reset. After that it is fine.
    The gearbox, tailgate glass, CD and rear arm bearing (get onto that soon) issues are fairly usual for that model, but that problem you blame on an ECU sounds odd. Which ECU? Engine ECU, I'd assume. There is bound to be some other explanation you've not yet had diagnosed. What sort of faults and messages are you getting? It might be better to start a new thread rather than let us lead this one astray.

Does anyone know what the current C5 are like? They look and sound brilliant.

Lots of threads here. There have been some problems, especially early, and some recalls. Most on here love their X7 C5s. I have zero problems, apart from a major highway crash in which my 2009 car was written off with the injuries reduced to one broken rib (mine) with two teenagers and my wife all fine. The second one is lower specced for the same model designation, but more powerful engine and bluetooth for the iPhone that actually works (2010 model). That is something to watch for new, and explore it in exhaustive detail. Truth is, my BlueAnt kit was almost as good or better. And I hate losing the radio I am listening to just because someone calls.

The ride is wonderful and the driving ergonomics. The seat is infinitely adjustable. The 2L diesel has so much torque. There is every reason to stay away from Citroen, but life is too short to buy a Honda Accord.

Tadpole

Here's a far from glowing review on it mate;
    http://www.caradvice.com.au/180024/2...-ageing-sedan/
    There are no changes from previous models that really get me excited on the new C5. But each to their own I suppose. Still looks class from the front and reasonably priced.

Fellow Frogger

There's almost no content in that article except to mention some recent tweaks that involve little you can see other than the badging and steering wheel. Any buyer would need to look elsewhere for a proper analysis of the model and it's evolution. About the only real negative was in the article's comments and it was to do with rapid rear brake wear, which seems in part due to the owner not bothering to release the handbrake when moving off. While it's true the electric handbrake will release if you forget to release it manually, I wouldn't have thought it was very smart to expect that to be the normal state of affairs. The later models with springs don't get the electric handbrake.

Styling is always a matter of personal preference, so some like it, others not. The two styling issues one might think of as backward steps were to lower the roofline and lose the hatchback. The hatchback on the old model was really handy, but I suppose Citroen might suggest buying the Tourer instead. The lower roofline is only a problem getting in and out because it's initially easy to bump your head on the pillar at the front. Do it often and you'd be classed as a slow learner. Overall, I quite like the styling.

The car was released in mid-2008, so it is quite normal to expect a mid-life rework after about 3-4 years. The range sold here initially consisted only of 2.0HDi and 2.7HDi auto versions, without petrols, although there is at least one petrol V6 here and a batch of 2.0 petrols with the AL4 box was also imported later. There were a number of relatively minor recalls and some problems on mostly the early cars built in 2008, but in general they have been excellent cars and many owners are very happy. The range here was actually expanded and revised in 2011 with the change of model names and specifications, but more notably with the 2.7 becoming a 3.0, the 2.0HDi DW10B becoming the more powerful DW10C engine, less expensive cars being offered with coil springs and the introducton of the 1.6 petrol turbo.

For a new shape, the DS5 is worth looking at.
    Last edited by David S; 22nd January 2013 at 01:45 AM.

ive sat back and said nothing but now alas I cant resist.
    Remember when Renault had a slogan ---" be rewarded drive it " well I really think some on this panel should do the same.
    ive had my C5 for 3 years now and I cant understand why the dealerships arent swamped with orders? Try buying an Audi with all the same gear on it that the Exclusive has as standard equipment.----it will cost you heaps more.
    no use reading the press for reviews as they seem to be aligned with all the German cars ----like reading the "German car weekly" when you read Saturdays paper.

I am a similar "old coot". Many many Km. in many many cars. My experience in Citroen C5's started in 2003. After 128,000 in the old one I bought the new C5 in 2010. I continue to appreciate the way they cover the miles(or Km ). The comfort is great. The long distances are never a big deal. Economy is exemplary. I can understand the people who are in the cut and thrust of commuting each day being frustrated in the C5. If you are in the city commuting situation for all your driving, buy a city car. Buy a KIA.
    If you are an interstate traveller buy a C5.

My sentiments echo Old Coots. The C5 is a VERY GOOD car for long distance commuting.

Anything on 4 wheels is ok for city driving. (hate it)

Fellow Frogger!

We have a 2005 2.0 litre petrol automatic C5. It's the family car and is used to take the kids to school every day, shopping trips, holidays etc. It travels about 30,000km a year. We bought it second hand three years ago and it now has 145000km. I do all the servicing myself except for the timing belt. The car has neverr let us down. The only problems we've had is a fault rear door lock which cost $450 to replace and a faulty mosfet on the A/C unit which cost $18 to repace. The car is very comfortable, economical and reliable.

I hope that helps.

From what I hear the later ones are even better.

Fellow Frogger!

[QUOTE=David S;1134477] About the only real negative was in the article's comments and it was to do with rapid rear brake wear, which seems in part due to the owner not bothering to release the handbrake when moving off.

Has the new model moved the handbrake mechanism to the rear?

AllenM.
    Yes. It activates when the car is stopped and in park, automatically.
    When moving off, I believe, the brake should be released by the driver (just a matter of pushing down on the handbrake activator). It WILL release when moving off, without a manual release, but not before considerable inertia is overcome. Thus causing excessive wear on the rear disks (I believe). It can be used manually by pulling up or pushing down on the activator.
    When in traffic, on a hill say, there is no need to apply the brake as there is a hill start assist thingy (not sure if it works through the transmission or the brakes). Allan.

Fellow Frogger!

Chodaboy, did you end up buying one?

This is a handy review

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/review...5/saloon-2008/

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information