Tabac leather
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Tabac leather

Default Tabac leather

I have long been intrigued by Citroen's tabac leather. The first time I encountered it was gracing the interior of a DS 23ie pallas auto, which having test driven my offer to purchase was eclypsed by a (just) previous test pilot. It was then firmly burnt into my memory as a highly desirable option for Citroens of that vintage. My eye has since been tuned to observing other brown leather interiors offered by Citroen under the description of tabac. The image it conjures in my mind is that of a Cuban cigar (rolled the traditional way), an item I am only familiar with thanks to James Bond movies and the like, even though I did once smoke something called a 'port royal' which to a teenager seemed rather exotic even if it had a wierd flavoured plastic tip on it.

Anyway the point I am trying to make is that tabac leather seems to look a bit different in some cars from others. In some it has a lovely dark, geuinely tabacco coloured hue, in others it seems lighter, almost caramely, which whilst delicious is not quite the same. Did Citroen change the recipe? I know reindeer leather was supposed to the animal of choice up to 1972 or something, or is it just the way the light falls on it or the paint colour to which it is contrasted. My 72 SM has brown leather, most of which has been replaced with well matching cow hide, the original bits are definitely in the caramel category. It even looks tan in some light.
    I believe Citroen only offered 3 colours in leather, black, brown (tabac) and natural (which I have never seen).
    Has anyone else had similar thoughts about leather? or can shed some light on this.
    cheers Tony

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

Naturel was apparently used in the DS until about 1970/71, when the darker Tabac took over. Naturel is lighter and the original had subtle highlighted high spots in a slightly darker colour, if that helps to describe it. Tabac is a straight colour. If Naturel has been recoloured at some time, it culd be any colour, but will most likely have lost the darker high spots. There is of course leather and then there is leather, even ignoring the rendeers. The original leather is quite thick compared to what most retrims will be made from now.

Quote Originally Posted by deesse View Post
    I have long been intrigued by Citroen's tabac leather. The first time I encountered it was gracing the interior of a DS 23ie pallas auto, which having test driven my offer to purchase was eclypsed by a (just) previous test pilot. It was then firmly burnt into my memory as a highly desirable option for Citroens of that vintage. My eye has since been tuned to observing other brown leather interiors offered by Citroen under the description of tabac. The image it conjures in my mind is that of a Cuban cigar (rolled the traditional way), an item I am only familiar with thanks to James Bond movies and the like, even though I did once smoke something called a 'port royal' which to a teenager seemed rather exotic even if it had a wierd flavoured plastic tip on it.

Anyway the point I am trying to make is that tabac leather seems to look a bit different in some cars from others. In some it has a lovely dark, geuinely tabacco coloured hue, in others it seems lighter, almost caramely, which whilst delicious is not quite the same. Did Citroen change the recipe? I know reindeer leather was supposed to the animal of choice up to 1972 or something, or is it just the way the light falls on it or the paint colour to which it is contrasted. My 72 SM has brown leather, most of which has been replaced with well matching cow hide, the original bits are definitely in the caramel category. It even looks tan in some light.
    I believe Citroen only offered 3 colours in leather, black, brown (tabac) and natural (which I have never seen).
    Has anyone else had similar thoughts about leather? or can shed some light on this.
    cheers Tony
    If you are looking for leather Leffler in Kensington are good place to start.

Take a sample of what you require and they will likely be able to assist.

The only limitation may be the budget!

Thread Information