DS19 hydraulic reservoir wording
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default DS19 hydraulic reservoir wording

I spent a few hours this afternoon cleaning up and repairing the hydraulic reservoir from my '57 DS19. Unfortunately, if I repaint the tank I'm going to lose the instructions which appear to be screen printed (?). The wording is different to that used on later tanks. I've run a Google translation - anyone care to offer a proper version?
    roger
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ds19hydreservoir_2.jpg 
Views:	486 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	38459 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ds19hydreservoir_1.jpg 
Views:	527 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	38458

Advertisement

The '57 I had no writing - you'd remember something as interesting as this. I'd offer a translation but it mightn't be as accurate as a native speaker. Hope all's going well with the resto' Roger.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I bet Gerry could help, maybe try sending him a PM. Even if he can't read/translate that, he'll likely see one next time he's chasing up GS/Hvan parts

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

"You risk grave consequences using any other fluid/product''
    "Verify the level with the motor idling and the height in ''normal"
    These are the best that I can do------Harrison Citroen may be able to do better as may Gerry Freed as Shane suggested.
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by lhs2.1 View Post
    I spent a few hours this afternoon cleaning up and repairing the hydraulic reservoir from my '57 DS19. Unfortunately, if I repaint the tank I'm going to lose the instructions which appear to be screen printed (?). The wording is different to that used on later tanks. I've run a Google translation - anyone care to offer a proper version?
    roger
    What is your plan Roger? Are you intending stripping and repainting?

If you are I'd be happy to print the replacement text as a sticker for you. Printing directly onto the tank is pretty much impossible (anything is possible but the set-up cost would rule out that option).

A clear sticker with white text printed and then split into 3 sections so as to avoid going over the tank ribs would be my suggestion, I would then overlaminate the sticker with an anti-graffiti film - LHS spills on a vinyl sticker would no doubt destroy it. I guess the paint system you use will need the same consideration - 2K?

Are you looking to replace the French with English text, hence the need for translation?

Anyway, I'm at your service if I can help

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    What is your plan Roger? Are you intending stripping and repainting?

If you are I'd be happy to print the replacement text as a sticker for you. Printing directly onto the tank is pretty much impossible (anything is possible but the set-up cost would rule out that option).

A clear sticker with white text printed and then split into 3 sections so as to avoid going over the tank ribs would be my suggestion, I would then overlaminate the sticker with an anti-graffiti film - LHS spills on a vinyl sticker would no doubt destroy it. I guess the paint system you use will need the same consideration - 2K?

Are you looking to replace the French with English text, hence the need for translation?

Anyway, I'm at your service if I can help

Cheers
    Chris
    Chris, I didn't post with the intention of soliciting help with a sticker but your kind offer is much appreciated.
    I do intend to strip the original paint and refinish it. I'll use a expoxy primer and a 1K epoxy topcoat. I've found that if you're careful to try not to spill brake fluid around the reservoir, and clean up any spills immediately with metho then conventional paint finishes are OK.
    In the first pic the lettering at the top is "ATTENTION".
    In the 2nd to the right are the level lines with "MAXI" and "MINI".
    I would like to keep the French instructions even though this is a Slough car.
    Do you need anything further - sizes etc?
    roger

Quote Originally Posted by lhs2.1 View Post
    Chris, I didn't post with the intention of soliciting help with a sticker but your kind offer is much appreciated.
    I do intend to strip the original paint and refinish it. I'll use a expoxy primer and a 1K epoxy topcoat. I've found that if you're careful to try not to spill brake fluid around the reservoir, and clean up any spills immediately with metho then conventional paint finishes are OK.
    In the first pic the lettering at the top is "ATTENTION".
    In the 2nd to the right are the level lines with "MAXI" and "MINI".
    I would like to keep the French instructions even though this is a Slough car.
    Do you need anything further - sizes etc?
    roger
    Roger I'm more than happy to help, it is my way of giving back in a small way the huge help I have received via Aussiefrogs.

Take pictures ideally at 90 degree angles to get all the detail. Using a steel rule measure each text line length and distance apart. Measure the distance the Min/Max lines are apart their thickness and their relationship to the tank top and bottom. Take a picture with a steel rule maybe taped to the tank vertically so that the text size can be gauged.

Email what you have to greenblood(at)aussiefrogs(dot)com

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    The '57 I had no writing - you'd remember something as interesting as this. I'd offer a translation but it mightn't be as accurate as a native speaker. Hope all's going well with the resto' Roger.
    That's interesting Donat, as those two cars are only 5 numbers apart. I've no evidence that the reservoir in my car is original other than it is of that particular period and why would you change a reservoir anyway. I have a reservoir from a '58 Slough DS19 which has no markings other than the maxi and mini.
    Resto is coming along, progress is never as fast as you would wish but we're getting there.
    roger

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    "You risk grave consequences using any other fluid/product''
    "Verify the level with the motor idling and the height in ''normal"
    These are the best that I can do------Harrison Citroen may be able to do better as may Gerry Freed as Shane suggested.
    Thanks Gerry, much as I figured. Interesting that the level is to be checked with the car at "normal" height not "high". This is what the '56 Instruction Book states too. Perhaps this is a because the very first cars had no means of manually altering the ride height and this instruction was carried foward. The illustration of the dashboard in the Instruction Book shows no height adjustment mechanism.
    roger

roger,
    I have seen one of these very tanks (as yours), on a VERY early Aussie built. Definitely original, original owner, full known history.
    I was surprised to see the difference in the lettering. Yes, the level marks were different, as is yours.

Tanks rusted out, requiring changing. Pondering the possibility of your original being changed, perhaps?

On another note, FrankenD is now AC120, the unfaded version.

r
    (the lower case r)

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

First sticker says: Use only the recommended liquid for hydraulic brakes.
    Serious consequences would result from using any other product.

Second: IMPORTANT
    Check level with engine operating, and vehicle on normal height.

Just like Gerrypro said.

Cheers
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 11th January 2013 at 07:51 AM.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by richo View Post
    roger,
    I have seen one of these very tanks (as yours), on a VERY early Aussie built. Definitely original, original owner, full known history.
    I was surprised to see the difference in the lettering. Yes, the level marks were different, as is yours.

Tanks rusted out, requiring changing. Pondering the possibility of your original being changed, perhaps?

On another note, FrankenD is now AC120, the unfaded version.

r
    (the lower case r)
    Hi Richo,
    as the Heidelberg cars were built from parts sourced from Paris I guess it's likely that they got the tank with the French lettering (smirk, smirk). I did some digging last night both my resources and on the net.
    The photos from the December 1956 Autocar and Motor road tests of the Slough DS19 show tanks the same as mine. Also the July 1958 Motor road test of the Slough ID19 shows a tank with the same lettering, and a further Motor road test dated February 1959 of a Slough ID19 again is the same.
    I checked the illustrations in a number of Instruction Books. The earliest I have is a DS19 USA edition printed 7-57 (AC5213). This shows the following.
    DS19 hydraulic reservoir wording-ds19reservior_1.jpg
    Um, same information as mine but the MAXI and MINI are on the left of the lines. This is the early tank as mine with the first style filter.
    I have a ID19 Instruction Book RHD english printed 4-61. I'm fairly confident that this was supplied with a '62 aussie ID19. The illustration of the tank show MAXI and MINI only - no instructions.
    DS19 hydraulic reservoir wording-id19reservoir_1.jpg
    This same illustration appears in ID19 Instruction Books for USA (3-58), France (12-58), Italy (11-59) and USA (11-59).
    Not sure what to make of all of this, but I feel confident that the lettering on my tank is consistent with the period.

Great to hear about the (unfaded) AC120 - pictures please. It's a great colour, but obviously the buying unwashed didn't think so.
    roger

Thanks roger, I've sent a PM reply.

cheers
    r

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Once you know what the wording is, make a rubber stamp in neoprene or polyethylene so it will survive having acrylic laquer on it. The apply by a rolling motion. This is how many of the original decals are applied if you can get a look at one in really good condition. The stamp pad (folded up cloth) is obviously a one use and some practise will be needed to get a good result.

The stamp can be washed after use with hot water and dishwashing deturgent, so the rubber doesn't have to survive long.

For things like paint codes, linoblock works, but it's too tedious for more than a few letters.

Curved stamps will work to put words on things like Pug 404 air cleaners.

As an addition to the previous reply, how about a sticker made up as a stencil? A laser cut sticker in the appropriate typeface, the letters removed, then the "outline" sticker is applied, then paint to apply the lettering to the surface, then the outline sticker is peeled off. Perhaps it is a slightly (or greatly) exxier solution than just a sticker, but may give a more authentic appearance to those who could pick a difference. :-)
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    As an addition to the previous reply, how about a sticker made up as a stencil? A laser cut sticker in the appropriate typeface, the letters removed, then the "outline" sticker is applied, then paint to apply the lettering to the surface, then the outline sticker is peeled off. Perhaps it is a slightly (or greatly) exxier solution than just a sticker, but may give a more authentic appearance to those who could pick a difference. :-)
    It's a great solution for an authentic look Simon, we use a computer cut spray mask for similar exercises e.g. on gibgib's 2CV Dolly restoration - all the pinstripe and the two tone curves on the back door etc. [BTW I still have the required artwork for Dolly doors]

I'm not sure how small the text is on the LHS tank, it may be at the limits of my plotter blades on the spray mask which is quite a tough material. No problem with large flowing curves but not so hot on small text. Would be worth a shot though and the required artwork is the same for both the screenprint process and computer cut, so nothing lost in trying.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Icon3

Sometimes you don't have to re-invent the wheel, images courtesy of http://www.nuancierds.fr/entreeuk.htm

If these are correct, we have for posterity at least some decent reference, I would still require accurate measurements

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS19 hydraulic reservoir wording-capucine-r10.jpg   DS19 hydraulic reservoir wording-capucine-r11.jpg  
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Sometimes you don't have to re-invent the wheel, images courtesy of http://www.nuancierds.fr/entreeuk.htm

If these are correct, we have for posterity at least some decent reference, I would still require accurate measurements

Cheers
    Chris
    Well, that's interesting - the wording under ATTENTION is quite different, and that under IMPORTANT is similar but not identical.
    I will have all the measurements of my wording done tonight.
    roger

Icon6

I know you are going to stay with the French text Roger, but I've just come across this English version.
    (Again courtesy of http://www.nuancierds.fr/entreeuk.htm )

So, just posting this one out of interest, you can just about make out the full text.

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS19 hydraulic reservoir wording-kim10.jpg  
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Icon3

Another nice reference shot.

http://www.hjulius.com/Hjulius/Blog/...asures....html

I've spent way too much time browsing this restoration site, well worth setting an hour or so aside.
    http://www.hjulius.com/Hjulius/Restoration.html

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS19 hydraulic reservoir wording-shapeimage_2.jpg  
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Thread Information