C5 v6
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: C5 v6

Fellow Frogger!

Default C5 v6

I realise this is a topic that has been covered before, but I would appreciate views on the pros and cons of a second series C5 V6.

We are returning to Australia shortly, and need to pick up a car. I'll be looking out for a DS, but we will also need a daily driver. Soaring depreciation () aside, are there particular things to be looking out for in considering a car such as this C5 V6 on carsales in Melbourne?
    http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...d&sort=default

AM

Advertisement
    Last edited by ajaxvte; 8th January 2013 at 05:55 PM. Reason: insert link

Fellow Frogger

Petrol V6 with 6 speed auto is one of the best C5's of that series, but sold in fairly small numbers. They trend to be overshadowed by the diesel versions, which most people now seem to want. There's been another V6 on gumtree in NSW for a while with fewer km's for a little less money. Ignition coils can be a weak point, so check they've been changed at some point. Check if it's had he timing belt changed or whether the new owner is being left to pick that up? Hunt around the forum and you will find a few more things to check, such as rear suspension arm bearings and hydraulic piping.

The original owner is the one wearing the depreciation in this case. It would have cost almost $60K new. You can get them for under $10K with more km's, but cheaper isn't always better. Check out dealer stock too as you get some kind of warranty to begin with, which you won't get buying privately. It depends on what you value.

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxvte View Post
    I realise this is a topic that has been covered before, but I would appreciate views on the pros and cons of a second series C5 V6.

We are returning to Australia shortly, and need to pick up a car. I'll be looking out for a DS, but we will also need a daily driver. Soaring depreciation () aside, are there particular things to be looking out for in considering a car such as this C5 V6 on carsales in Melbourne?

AM
    Wow. It does look like a lot of car for the money and barely run in. Personally, I'd only buy it if I had experienced and reliable service facilities close to where I lived. Interesting that the cost is much less than we paid for our 6-year old Xantia ten years ago and it is a substantially higher spec car (and substantially more complicated I'd add).
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the comments. The NSW car is also here:

Seems like quite a lot of car for $13K negotiable.

Thanks for the comments.
    Seems like quite a lot of car for $13K negotiable.
    Sure does! The low km on both cars are remarkable. I'd be most concerned about checking service records, coolant changes and that sort of thing. If you are prepared to take one of these on, they are very good cars from what I observe from my Xantia. For a family, they are extremely safe too. All that for $13,000? Wow.

My only concern is the complexity. Not that other modern cars are necessarily simple!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I'll be looking out for a DS, but we will also need a daily driver.
    Nothing wrong with a DS as a daily driver is there?
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    Wouldn't touch one with a barge pole .... There just a C4 underneath ..... what a yawn,
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Wouldn't touch one with a barge pole .... There just a C4 underneath ..... what a yawn,
    See, what a good example of why it was dumb to name the current Citroen range after our classics. I'd be quite confident in saying Donat was suggesting a classic DS would make a good daily and Shane has understood him to mean a DS3...

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Yes Chris, you're absolutely right!

Having used everything from a '62 ID 19 to a '70 DS 21 BVH as commuter cars in Brisbane's often ridiculous traffic and the morons who constantly cut in front of me, it's really not that bad.

Today I almost ran over a pedestrian who didn't notice me as he tried to walk across Waterworks Rd and a lady in a Mrsbitchi who cut in front of me over a painted traffic island to get onto the F3 to town from Stanley St.

If anyone has some working FIAMM air-horns from a CX they don't need, I'd appreciate them for the Xantia! In fact, I may need another set for the GS too.
    Last edited by donat; 8th January 2013 at 09:06 PM.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Fellow Frogger

Was that a snore I heard Shane? I assumed he meant a DS rather than a DS ... or maybe he does mean a DS???

Yes, the C5 V6 is a lot of car and they were all well specified. The V6 is probably a fraction quieter to drive around town than a diesel version, but you will use a bit more fuel. They can be relatively heavy on fuel in city traffic, but long trips return good economy for a larger car.

Fellow Frogger!

Yes I mean't a real DS, and not a recent one. I drove my D Special as a daily car for three years. But it was always a concern with parking (those around you banging and scraping it) and the heat soak was a bugger in summer. I don't fancy my teenage boys being let loose on a classic either. To my mind, better as a men's shed weekend driver...

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Although I understand the V6 to be sizeably cheaper now than the Diesel, you really need to take a good long drive in a Diesel before you purchase your C5.
    I just came back from a trip Brisbane-Canberra +/- 2200kms in my 6speed 2.0litre HDI and honestly this is pure heaven, this gearbox is perfectly suited to the 2.0 HDI engine, fuel consumption phenomenal av 5.0/100kms, and comfort beyond belief.

Purchasing price probably 3-4000 more, but for me well worth it! Do yourself afavour.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Although I understand the V6 to be sizeably cheaper now than the Diesel, you really need to take a good long drive in a Diesel before you purchase your C5.
    I just came back from a trip Brisbane-Canberra +/- 2200kms in my 6speed 2.0litre HDI and honestly this is pure heaven, this gearbox is perfectly suited to the 2.0 HDI engine, fuel consumption phenomenal av 5.0/100kms, and comfort beyond belief.

Purchasing price probably 3-4000 more, but for me well worth it! Do yourself afavour.
    I'd probably look at this one too:
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/west-...dan/1010502219

Best bit is it comes with a free holiday to perth and trip home.

Certainly I'd look at this rear wheel drive C5 too..... to verify at least it's not an AL$.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/girar...121/1010947054

Another V6 ... this is the gearbox they reckon dies at 160,000k's right:? So you should have another 100,000 to go

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

UFO

And it's the rare TUBRO model. That would be TUBRO CHRAGED.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger

I'd probably look at this one too:
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/west-...dan/1010502219

Best bit is it comes with a free holiday to perth and trip home.

Certainly I'd look at this rear wheel drive C5 too..... to verify at least it's not an AL$.

Another V6 ... this is the gearbox they reckon dies at 160,000k's right:? So you should have another 100,000 to go

seeya,
    Shane L.

Car#1 - That's most likely a 2.2 HDi with a 4 speed auto. I may be wrong in this case, but the 6 speed cars always had body colour side strips to the best of my knowledge. Check before planning your WA trip I'd suggest!
    Car#2 - Seems fair, assuming the 'tubro' is the right way around ...
    Car#3 - Link is the same as #2. If it's a 6 speed, it's the same gearbox as in the later HDi's, Picasso, C6 etc..

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Car#1 - That's most likely a 2.2 HDi with a 4 speed auto. I may be wrong in this case, but the 6 speed cars always had body colour side strips to the best of my knowledge. Check before planning your WA trip I'd suggest!
    Car#2 - Seems fair, assuming the 'tubro' is the right way around ...
    Car#3 - Link is the same as #2. If it's a 6 speed, it's the same gearbox as in the later HDi's, Picasso, C6 etc..
    Woops, I meant htis one .... it's a low milage V6 but a 4HP20

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/tulla...ack/1009051800
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger

Looks like an honest car with at least some dealer history, but you can never really tell from digital photos, especially with a black car that's just been washed. At only 55K, it may still have the original Sagem ignition coils, power steering and front suspension hydraulic pipes plus an original 2002 timing belt. Just some things to check ... Still, there are also a few roughies on offer for a little less asking money that will almost certainly cost their new owner the purchase cost over again.

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Also a word of caution: It strikes me that those seats have had so much wear in only 55k. My c5 has virtually the same amount of ks and the seats are still as tight as a fish's @&$$.

Those seats in the black car spell 150,000ks to me.......
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Tadpole

Well I've just bought the C5 V6 at the top of this thread.

I ended up paying $11,000 which seemed a fair price given the low KMs and the general condition of the car.

Mechanically all seems OK although time will tell. Nothing obvious anyway. I'll be on tender hooks for the next couple of months to see if anything $$$ goes (my key concern - the vehicle has some fairly sophisticated engineering and whilst KMs are relatively low it's still 7+ years old)

Main thing missing is Bluetooth - does anyone have any advice re updating the stock stereo with something that can handle Bluetooth (or at the least AUX In)? This seems like the go: http://www.dashmount.co.uk/index.php...ry-CC9058.html

(VIC, SE Melbourne, Mornington Peninsula) if that's relevant to any advice
    Last edited by C5V6_kamikaze; 23rd January 2013 at 11:29 PM.

Thread Information