DS Carpets
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: DS Carpets

Default DS Carpets

Hi all,

I've spent the last 6 months getting the family settled across town in Ringwood East and have now a little more time to work on the car.
    Does anyone know what the material of the original Pallas carpets are because they are in great condition but if I'm re-spraying the car I will need another colour. Does carpet dye work on these carpets?

Cheers,

Advertisement

Hoogy.

Fellow Frogger

Perhaps, choose a body colour that works well with the existing carpets? They are a light brown colour aren't they? That should go with a lot of possible body colours. If you have good original carpets, it's certainly worth trying to preserve them.

I think you will have trouble with a carpet dye and what takes to the carpet may not take well to the edging. If you try to remove them from the sills or where they are glued on to a panel, they are likely to break up. The original backing will now be very brittle.

That is an option, I wanted to go black, my little girl says dark, dark blue and my wife is leaning towards ice blue with a white roof.
    I agree that is one of the nicest colour combos for a DS but I don't think it necessarily a good colour for a Pallas.
    The gold interior should work OK with the darker colours.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Have a look at the comments from Dino on carpet dyes. He seemed to think they worked quite well (it might be in the technical section). I think a colour change is asking a lot from a dye. Why don't you pull some of the trim and find the carpets original colour ( I think the gold pallas interior looks the worst of them all.... it just looks dirty and worn to me, even when good). However if you find the colour of the carpet where it's been covered it looks quite good. You'd match as close to this as you can, then spend a few hours masking the car where the carpet can't be removed without damage (this would be the most important bit, overspray all over the trim would look terrible!!! ) then re-colour it.

I figure if it looks worse .... or doesn't last long, well you have lost nothing as the carpet needed replacing either way. THe carpets seem readily available from the usual places. It's even on Ebay. Who knows what the quality is like though

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-DS...item1e75ce0153

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger

Wasn't Hoogy's car a 1973 model? The carpet in very late Pallas models, from about 1974, changed to one that isn't as tufted as earlier Pallas carpets. It's doesn't look as good and it definitely changes colour in the sun and looks terrible in old age. That's what your fathers car would have Shane, but compare it to what's in your 21 and you'll see how different it is. The original colour of that very late mustard carpet wasn't exactly great to begin with, but I guess I'm not viewing it through 1974 eyes. Just remember that it's a fairly hot car to begin with and choosing a very dark colour won't help if you plan to use it in summer.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Wasn't Hoogy's car a 1973 model? The carpet in very late Pallas models, from about 1974, changed to one that isn't as tufted as earlier Pallas carpets. It's doesn't look as good and it definitely changes colour in the sun and looks terrible in old age. That's what your fathers car would have Shane, but compare it to what's in your 21 and you'll see how different it is. The original colour of that very late mustard carpet wasn't exactly great to begin with, but I guess I'm not viewing it through 1974 eyes. Just remember that it's a fairly hot car to begin with and choosing a very dark colour won't help if you plan to use it in summer.
    I'll have to compare them. The pallas carpets in my fathers 1975 built pallas sure do look ugly though. The surprise is when he pulled the interior, the carpet didn't look to bad where the sun has never bleached it. The carpet still appears unworn and intact, it's just ugly from fading. If it could be recoloured, it would likely look almost like new. Should I pull the carpets from my car, re-colour them and fit them to the later one

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

The colour hasn't faded much at all. Does anyone have a clue whether its nylon or wool?

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

D carpets are not moulded- so the upholstry guys can duplicte the carpet and a visit to clark rubber for the underlay. Pallas has rubber moulded and glued to the carpets but IDs and Speciale Super just have felt.

Have fun with it, The original carpets can be put away after all!

My D speciale has rather dull grey carpets, but I'm planning to jazz it up soon.

Thread Information