Replacement Key remote / Transponder for Citroen C4
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon5 Replacement Key remote / Transponder for Citroen C4

Hi All,

Advertisement

I've been trying to find an alternative to buying a remote key direct from my local dealers. They are going to charge $260 for the unit + $110 to program it. Nearly $400AUD is just too bloody much. I know there used to be sellers on fleebay but now there are only blank cases which you replace your old case with. Well my 2nd hand c4 didn't come with a remote fob just a spare key. Ridiculously, C4's only allow opening the car from the passenger side... so yeah.

Is there anyway of doing this? I've emailed a few UK locksmiths asking if they'd program me a new key remote using just the VIN and ship to AUS but not sure if this is possible without access to my car?

If there's another possibility in Sydney that would be great. I've had many friends saying "old mate" somewhere can do it but they have owned Toyota's, or commodores etc. It seems Citroen might use different tech and the locksmiths over here can't write new remotes? (i've tried calling a few via Google search)

Cheers for any help

This is quite easy. You do need a "chipped" key cut to the mechanical code, and the ECU unlock code. As the vehicle owner, a Citroën dealer should supply these details to you free or at a cost of less than $15 (which is what they cost anyone off the 'net). Yes, UK locksmiths seem more tuned in generally to cutting these types of key, but ensure it comes with the correct type of blank transponder chip. Posting one or two over in a jiffy bag is going to be about £11 registered post.

Anyone with a Lexia or more sophisticated diagnostic tool, can then program in the key. This process should be less than $100 at full freight. I would suggest you order two more keys, and only program in one. That means the "spare" will open the doors, and unlock the steering column but can't start it. Should activation ever be needed, it's there ready to go.

Tadpole

Hey mate,

did you manage to get another remote for your car without paying $400/- to the dealer?

We are currently down to just the spare key and McCarrolls want $430/- for a new remote+programming.

Would be great if you managed to source someone from the UK to get it done for cheaper, as it's not really worth paying $430/- to replace the keys in a 6 year old car.. we just leave it unlocked

Deen

You can get one out of France, you will need to send a scan of your licence and the registration papers to prove you own it. Then it may be three or four weeks in the supply chain until you get it.

The earlier ones are about €100, minus TVA (19%) plus post (about €40) - exact price depends on which one it is according to your VIN. The below list shows a few possible variants...

EMETTEUR - Accessoires et pièces citroen

It will require encoding to the car on arrival, or if you are handy you can buy a Lexia clone from China and DIY this step. Ordinary scan tools haven't the capability required.

Tadpole

Thanks Addo, that's fantastic... If I can work this out, I should be able to get it done for about 1/2 the price the dealer wants...

I'll give it a go and let you guys know how I went..

Thanks again!
    Deen

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Hamx5ter,

I got a new key for my C4 coded by the local Citroen dealer here in Sydney for $150. The old key case buttons were hard to operate.

They supplied a new case and encoded the key, and swapped the blade over to the new case. all for $150.

I was getting the car serviced as well and had bought the car from them too, so perhaps it was a discounted rate.

gembee

Is it possible your dealer simply put the old transponder in a new shell? That would more accurately reflect the charge.

Thread Information