C5 Taxi - Victor Harbor
  • Register
  • Help

Default C5 Taxi - Victor Harbor

AF'ers...

Advertisement

Is this the only Citroen Taxi in Australia - Spotted a MK1 C5 Wagon in use as a taxi in Victor Harbor last week!

Anyone know more about the car?
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Fellow Frogger!

You see some strange cars being used as taxis, especially in the smaller rural towns. A mk1 C5 does sound a strange choice though - not even the current model.
    Here in Sydney there used to be a CX taxi back in the 80's, saw it a few times in the CBD. Wish I'd taken a picture of it.!
    We've got the usual Falcon / Statesmens here but there are some Toyota Prius's running around as taxis.
    I'm sure I've seen Chrylser 300C here in Sydney too as a taxi.

Any chance of a piccie of the C5 taxi in Victor Harbor?

Glenn

Fellow Frogger!

It's a C5 wagon been running around a few years now. Seems to be well liked by passengers I have spoken to.

Fellow Frogger

I thought there was a 7 year age limit in NSW. So, you couldn't use that C5 as a regular cab these days. Hire Cars are evidently not caught up with that rule.

Fellow Frogger!

A simple google search has yielded the following picture.

C5 Taxi - Victor Harbor-c5taxi.jpg

Fellow Frogger!

here's a better picture.
    ORCAS TAXI SERVICE BUSINESS & FREEHOLD

C5 Taxi - Victor Harbor-c5taxi1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    I thought there was a 7 year age limit in NSW. So, you couldn't use that C5 as a regular cab these days. Hire Cars are evidently not caught up with that rule.
    It seems to be more complicated:-

"Maximum ages for all taxis are:
    1. Standard taxis and maxi-cabs operating in the (Sydney) Metropolitan transport district must not be older than 6.5 years from the date of the attachment of their compliance/identification/operations plates
    2. Standard taxis and maxi-cabs operating in the rest of the State must not be older than 8.5 years from the date of the attachment of their compliance/identification/operations plates
    3. Wheelchair accessible taxis throughout the State must not be older than 10.5 years from the date of the attachment of their compliance/identification/operations plates."

http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/cont...ications-taxis

Quote Originally Posted by tazzy View Post
    It's a C5 wagon been running around a few years now. Seems to be well liked by passengers I have spoken to.
    That's interesting. There was at least one 504 diesel in Adelaide 25 years ago. Now of course there are no Falcon wagons, just Territories. Actually the Prius taxis can hold more luggage than a Falcon sedan with a gas tank, so the C5 wagon has appeal. But Victor? Wow.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    It seems to be more complicated:-

"Maximum ages for all taxis are:
    1. Standard taxis and maxi-cabs operating in the (Sydney) Metropolitan transport district must not be older than 6.5 years from the date of the attachment of their compliance/identification/operations plates
    2. Standard taxis and maxi-cabs operating in the rest of the State must not be older than 8.5 years from the date of the attachment of their compliance/identification/operations plates
    3. Wheelchair accessible taxis throughout the State must not be older than 10.5 years from the date of the attachment of their compliance/identification/operations plates."

http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/cont...ications-taxis
    Being a Citroen, the compliance plate probably fell off just after warranty.

Looks like the taxi owner re-attached it last year. Should be around for the next five years.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Being a Citroen, the compliance plate probably fell off just after warranty.

Looks like the taxi owner re-attached it last year. Should be around for the next five years.

John
    LOL

They do get 8.5 years outside of Sydney though

Quote Originally Posted by gembee View Post
    Here in Sydney there used to be a CX taxi back in the 80's, saw it a few times in the CBD. Wish I'd taken a picture of it.!
    Glenn
    There were once at least two Citroen D's as taxis in Sydney. I remember seeing them occasionally on the Lane Cove rank around 1970.

And in 1926 a company called "Green Taxi-Cabs" was launched in Sydney with the intention of putting "thousands" of Citroen taxis on Australian roads, chosen for their low fuel consumption. Was this the world's first use of "green" as meaning Eco Friendly??

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/arti...tag=Green+Cabs
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Fellow Frogger!

The C5 Taxi is in Victor Harbor South Australia so the age thing will probably be different to other states and they run two C5 wagons.

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    And in 1926 a company called "Green Taxi-Cabs" was launched in Sydney with the intention of putting "thousands" of Citroen taxis on Australian roads, chosen for their low fuel consumption. Was this the world's first use of "green" as meaning Eco Friendly??
    I think that the term "green" was used in the context of "being naive, inexperienced". Thousands of Citroen taxis? Ha ha ha.

You are lucky if we have thousands of Citroens of any age or description in Sydney.

John

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Not sure about NSW, all my NSW hirecar stuff is on the other computer, but in the ACT they've had to extend the life span of hire cars due to the demise of the Ford Fairlane. They also had to reduce the minimum wheelbase requirement. If I ever get off my backside I would have liked to run a C6 as a hire car.
    Btw, there apparently very nearly was a Picasso as a silver service taxi in Canberra. Apparently the would be operator got a better deal on a Skoda Superb TDi wagon instead, which I must add is a bigger car probably more suitable to the role.

Quote Originally Posted by tazzy View Post
    The C5 Taxi is in Victor Harbor South Australia so the age thing will probably be different to other states and they run two C5 wagons.
    Used to go fishing for salmon trout on the screwpile jetty at Victor . Wonder is they still catch them or have they gone?
    Spent our honeymoon there in the caravan park 45 years ago.
    I might act like an idiot, and I might look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you: I really AM an idiot!

Thread Information