• Register
  • Help

Thread: Broomsticks?

Default Broomsticks?

The DS Appreciation Thread

Advertisement

The DS Appreciation Thread

Where do the broomsticks come into it?

I've forgotten how to quote into a new thread, sorry.

UFO

Here at Hogwarts School of Wizardry and Citroen Repairs....

If you need to move a dead DS and you can jack it off the ground at front and rear, you can remove the spheres and place into the suspension cylinders 7 to 8cm lengths of fat broom stick handle - about I suppose 25mm diameter. You then place the sphere back on the cylinder and carefully lower the jacks. The broom stick fills the void that would be pressurised LHM in high position if the engine and pump were operating. The car can then be pushed around without dragging its guts on the ground.

If you can use old dead welded (disposable) spheres for this temporary measure as using rebuildable proper DS spheres may damage the valving pieces in the next of the sphere.

It is essential that you remember:

The car must not be driven like this. You have NO suspension.
    You have NO brakes other than the park brake - and we all know how good they can be!

When you do remove the broom stick pieces, ensure you leave behind no remnants of timber lest you clog up the LHM system.

Carefully glue the pieces of broomstick back together and SWMBO will hopefully never know the difference.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Heed Craig's warnings well. When I became custodian of my DS I found that not only were two dampers destroyed but there was actually a shard of timber floating around in the LHM inside one suspension cylinder presumably from "broomsticks"
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Maybe this will be a better idea than broomsticks: http://shop.citroenclassics.co.uk/su...pair-483-p.asp

Quote Originally Posted by UFO
    Here at Hogwarts School of Wizardry and Citroen Repairs....
    First, catch your witch.

The tools as sold above are one option, also modern welded accumulator spheres can be cut off about 32mm above the base to reveal the solid block this part is turned from - then drill out the centre bore to suit a large, fine threaded bolt of choice.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by HennovdM View Post
    Maybe this will be a better idea than broomsticks: http://shop.citroenclassics.co.uk/su...pair-483-p.asp
    Well, you know what they say about moths in wallets ... and many Citroen owners.

"So tight, he squeaks when he walks" was how one mechanic described such a character.

Thread Information