Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Automatic Transmission Service
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Automatic Transmission Service

Hi Everyone,

Hope you all had a great Christmas !

Advertisement

I own a 09/2007 built C4 Grand Picasso (2.0 Litre Turbo Diesel, 6sp auto), it has 110,000 Kms on it and I want to know if I HAVE TO get automatic transmission service done at a Citroen Dealer ONLY. I would like to get it done elsewhere if possible, if I could please have some suggestions (about where can I get it done?) that would be great. Also what kind of oil can I use (Penrite fully synthetic etc.??). I live in Melbourne btw. Please let me know.

Many thanks...

UFO

Well the transmission is an Aisin-Warner as used in a variety of other brands of cars, so a reputable auto transmission place should be able to service it. Ensure they use the correct specification oil for the 'box and all should be fine.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Tadpole

Thanks Craig - would you be able to suggest me any makes/grade of the correct transmission oil as I would like to buy it myself. Also is this transmission like any other car because I heard there is a special technique to change transmission oil on these cars as in you just can't take out all the oil and then fill with new oil instead you are supposed to bring it to a certain temperature and take it out in portions. This is the reason I am confused if any other transmission oil (reputed or not) can do this service for me?

Appreciate your thoughts.....thanks a lot.

1000+ Posts

Default Bl**dy autos again !!

Quote Originally Posted by ab_baby View Post
    Thanks Craig - would you be able to suggest me any makes/grade of the correct transmission oil as I would like to buy it myself. Also is this transmission like any other car because I heard there is a special technique to change transmission oil on these cars as in you just can't take out all the oil and then fill with new oil instead you are supposed to bring it to a certain temperature and take it out in portions. This is the reason I am confused if any other transmission oil (reputed or not) can do this service for me?

Appreciate your thoughts.....thanks a lot.
    Hi,
    A lot, perhaps most, autos now use this method of checking the level so any auto shop should be able to do it.

It involves putting in a small excess, starting the engine, running it through the gears and warming it to a modest set temperature, 60 deg. Then it should overflow the level tube to show the correct amount is there at the required temperature. The level tube is really just like a side plug at the correct fluid level like a manual gearbox. There have been descriptions of how to do it on the forum if you search. Its the same for the AL4 auto.

However there is another way that is just as good if you are just doing a straight change on a good transmission. If you carefully drain the auto and catch all the oil. Then you can put this oil in a container, eg a clean engine oil container with a transparent side strip. Mark the amount of oil on the side. Discard this oil and fill to the mark with the new oil. Then put this amount in the transmission and you will have exactly the same amount as before .I have done this a couple of times for a quicky, as well as the correct way.

The oil The good brands all now have a full synthetic universal oil which will be better than the original oil specified by Citroen which is not a full synthetic. Look at the recommendations if you wish to check, by Aisan Warner and the Oil companies. All on the web probably. An oil change is always good if done properly.
    Cheers Jaahn

Tadpole

Thanks a lot Jaahn - much appreciated.

A quick question on my 2ltr petrol C4 is the filler still on the top and if so some direction to find it would be appreciated. Thanks

1000+ Posts

Assuming an AL4 (the OP has an AM6) --

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - Automatic Transmission Service-al4.jpg

Thanks give me something to do during the christmas new year break other than sit on the computer and watch movies lol

Love this place everyone actually helps where they can.

Ohh and Merry Christmas to all Frogs

Thread Information