Need new tires ??
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Default Need new tires ??

I was just looking for some new tires for the poogoe ... bob jane show khumo 205/60 16" for $150 on special ..... I googled that to see if other retailers in town had the same tires and this place jumped up:

Advertisement

http://www.ozzytyres.com.au/

identical tires to bob jane, delivered to my doorstep .................. $90 each. It would have to cost $60 a tire to have the fitted an balanced to cost as much as the bob jane "special". Take a look at the website. I found some for the CX for 50% off too.... The ID19 for some reason I couldn't find in there size lookup though

these ones would probalby fit the CX ( it should really have 215/50 16"s though)

http://www.ozzytyres.com.au/store/ty...7v-neogen.html

50% off

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger

I remember driving a C5 wagon of about the same age as your Pug and the not nearly worn out Kuhmo's made the car a shocker to drive. A set of new tyres (Continental as I recall in that case) transformed it from a howling dog to something much more urbane. Anyway, price the alternatives as they may last better. I know a few C5's are now running on Bridgstone Turanza'a and that seems to be both adequate and reasonably economical.

The poogoe still drives as well as you would expect (well it is a poogoe after all). The tire roar at speed for example if a fraction of the C4/307. It' doesn't pull aggressively off the road with tires almost down to the wear bars (like the C4 and 307 do with good tires). The Xantia used to start pulling aggressively off the road with worn tires. Replacing the tires instantly fixed it. I found one of the tire sidewalls looks to be developing a flat spot when I pumped them up yesterday, they show signs of age cracking either way. So I want to change the tires before the car leaves town (the cars an '07 model, so the tires are at least 6years old).

I'm not specifically after Khumos, I was just looking around at the prices of tires in that size. They were a good example to use as the exact tire is listed in the bob jane catalogue if you look at there website.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

Hi-Give Damien a call @ Jax Tyres in Howitt st.5338 1009.in one of Gardon Motors old buildings.Better still drop in & say hi.

Tell him I sent you in -Damien is a straight shooter & really looks after his clientelle.Daimo managed Beaurepairs before starting up Jax Tyres.

You will appreciate his service & honesty.

Tell him I sent you in.

Pekay.

When I put new wheels and tyres on my 01 C5 HDI I put 17 by 7 wheels on it the recommended tyres where 225/45/17
    I put a set of Toyo proxus thinking had Toyo's years ago and was pretty happy with them well in 40,000k,s I needed as many wheel alignments and balances as the cost of the tyres
    It seemed within a week of getting a balance the steering wheel had a shake
    When they finally did wear out I did get 55,000 k,s out of them probably because of all the balances and rotations and alignments trying to get rid of the dreaded steering wheel shimmy I fitted a set of kuhmo 215/50/17's only did one balance and alignment in 30'000 k,s only reason I got it done was I thought better rotate them to make them last they where fantastic good price to I even got a set of the kuhmo's for my XJR jaguar very happy with them side effect of going to the 215/50/17's my speedo was dead accurate

If you are just looking for cheap tyres ozzy tyres is not bad for price I got 4 255/50/20's for the wife's Jeep grand Cherokee for $450 delivered they where nexens already done 50'000 on them mix of highway town usage I don't go 4wding its mainly for towing but if you want really cheap tyres have a look at these guys they import them straight from china http://www.vickysuntyres.com.au/ the prices are very good and if you are in Sydney they can fit them as well
    I have bought some of their smaller low profile tyres for a mates car he just wanted tyres and no retreads he is pretty happy with them he only does around town usage

TRT

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    I remember driving a C5 wagon of about the same age as your Pug and the not nearly worn out Kuhmo's made the car a shocker to drive. A set of new tyres (Continental as I recall in that case) transformed it from a howling dog to something much more urbane. Anyway, price the alternatives as they may last better. I know a few C5's are now running on Bridgstone Turanza'a and that seems to be both adequate and reasonably economical.
    Have to agree. Tried Kumho on the C4 and they were terrible - main problem was uneven wear that led to wheel balance problems as per DoubleChevron's comment. Went back to Michelins last time. Cheapest for Michelin in Canberra is Costco [I wasn't aware of this, but my son told me Costco inflated using Nitrogen for no additional charge]

TRT

Had Kuhmos on my 406 - were fine and wore evenly. Never touched them...

Like all the big manufacturers, they make cheap models and good ones.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by C5boy View Post
    I needed as many wheel alignments and balances as the cost of the tyres
    I dissagree, tyres cannot cause wheel alignment problmes. Wheel alignment issues are mechanical, are usually caused by running over kerbs, hitting deep potholes etc causing bends in the suspension components. Also by wear in ball joints and tie rod ends. Wheel balance is one thing, but often overlooked is round wheels. Seems obvious, but many McPherson strut front suspensions are very susceptable to wheels being out of round. This can be caused by bent rims (many deep dish mags are easy to bend on the inside unsupported bead) and/or tyres that are not round. Sometimes tyre and rim assemblies need to have the tread ground to obtian a round wheel.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pekay49 View Post
    Hi-Give Damien a call @ Jax Tyres in Howitt st.5338 1009.in one of Gardon Motors old buildings.Better still drop in & say hi.

Tell him I sent you in -Damien is a straight shooter & really looks after his clientelle.Daimo managed Beaurepairs before starting up Jax Tyres.

Pekay.
    Ahh, so thats where he went to. I used to use Beaurepairs and dealt with Damien. I agree he was a good guy. I have only just purchased new tyres for the daughers Avalon, used Kelly Springfield. If I had known about Damien at Jax I would have been happy to take my custom there.

Fellow Frogger!

My Forester has Yokohama Geolander 225-55-17 they are original and have now done 120,000 km, still with 10,000 km left in them. I was never a convert for AWD for everyday blacktop highway/freeway driving, but on reflection they are all wearing evenly, unlike FWD. It also helps if alignment and tyre pressures are correct.

I have used many different tyres over the years and find they all have been OK, providing the alignment & pressure is OK. I find that there is a lot of subjective discussion about tyres, with scant qualitative evidence to support it.

The comment from Whippet regarding different brand tyres are OK, is correct. Iam not saying OK is the Best, there are good and better tyres that you can fit to your vehicle.
    As stated by Whippet, if you maintain your pressures, rotations and WA, you will get good results out of most OEM brands. If you use CHEAP brands from China, you will get a very poor result, that dosent mean all Chinese brands, remember a lot of big brand OEM tyres are manufactured in China.
    One of the main reasons why we hear different results, is the incorrect tyre is fitted to the vehicle, that I mean the wrong compound or pattern dose not suit the suspension or the driving style of the vehicle
    Regarding compounds, there are up to 5 -6 six different compounds throughout the range of tyres from most OEM manufactures. The problem is, this information is not available to the general public. If you can get hold of some of the technical books from these manufacturers, you will see the difference.
    I think the most common complaint we hear, is tyre noise. This can be reduced if you use asymmetrical pattern tyres and maintain pressures and rotations as much as possible, FWD vehicle tyres should be rotated between 7 - 8K, RWD 9 - 10K Kilometres.
    Some of you know me, because of my background with OEM and training in the tyre industry.
    One more thing I would like to comment on, be careful where you purchase your tyres from. There is a case pending at the moment of a bad accident, where the incorrect tyres were purchased from a parallel tyre importer and fitted to a vehicle which failed because these tyres were not for Australian conditions.

Rikenman

Fellow Frogger!

Also try st George tyres. They sell on eBay and try and beat ozzy. They are both seriously cheap for tyres. $300 plus dollars on the tyres for my wife's subaru for 4 tyres.
    Adrian Wuillemin

More days than not, I seem to find an immediate need to accommodate the crap driving of someone who quite possibly has "better" tyres than mine. Isn't part of "driving to the conditions", taking account of all impingements to your progress?

There has been a lot of misspelt wording about a Korean Tyre. The correct spelling is KUMHO.

Rikenmam

Fellow Frogger!

I concur with Rikenman - tyres are not just round and black!

However I read once that Peter Brock always maintained that the tyre should stay where it was first fitted. His theory was that if for example you swapped a LHF & LHR, that each tyre would then rapidly wear the relevant tread area to the "wear profile" for that position on the car. Whilst this may even out the wear (Rear tend to be flat with maybe some extra wear in the middle and Front tend to wear on the inner/outer shoulder) across the two tyres I am not sure if you get any increased milage than if the tyre remained in its original position.

I was always taught to never to swap tyres from side to side. As each individual "block" of tread wears into a rounded leading edge (where it first touches the pavement) and a feathered trailing edge (where the block leaves the pavement), with a very slight taper. When swapped from side to side, (thus rolling in the opposite direction) the tread "blocks" just rapidly wore to the mirror profile, then wore as they would have on the original side. Hope my explaination is not confusing!! Go and have a look at any "blocky" tread pattern closely and all will be revealed!!

Rikenman - you reminded me that many years ago I lashed out and fitted a set of Riken tyres to my GTR XU1, is your name a play on this?

Whippet,
    You are getting close to who is the big daddy of Riken!!

Rikenman

Fellow Frogger!

I just bought these for the DS: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/185-80R15...ht_4502wt_1135
    for $15 extra they can fit and balance, on the correct adaptor plate.
    Car handles and rides great now!
    The owner of the buisness claims they will not handle as well in the dry as the Michellins but much better in the wet, and will last longer overall, i'm convinced!
    Really good people to deal with, they can also balance 2cv wheels.

Harley

Thanks for this, just ordered ozzy tyres for my car.

Quote Originally Posted by C5boy View Post
    When I put new wheels and tyres on my 01 C5 HDI I put 17 by 7 wheels on it the recommended tires where 225/45/17
    I put a set of Toyo proxus thinking had Toyo's years ago and was pretty happy with them well in 40,000k,s I needed as many wheel alignments and balances as the cost of the tyres
    When they finally did wear out I did get 55,000 k,s out of them probably because of all the balances and rotations and alignments trying to get rid of the dreaded steering wheel shimmy I fitted a set of kuhmo 215/50/17's only did one balance and alignment in 30'000 k,s only reason I got it done was I thought better rotate them to make them last they where fantastic good price to I even got a set of the kuhmo's for my XJR jaguar very happy with them side effect of going to the 215/50/17's my speedo was dead accurate

If you are just looking for cheap tyres ozzy tyres is not bad for price I got 4 255/50/20's for the wife's Jeep grand Cherokee for $450 delivered they where nexens already done 50'000 on them mix of highway town usage I don't go 4wding its mainly for towing but if you want really cheap tyres have a look at these guys they import them straight from china http://www.vickysuntyres.com.au/ the prices are very good and if you are in Sydney they can fit them as well
    I have bought some of their smaller low profile tyres for a mates car he just wanted tyres and no retreads he is pretty happy with them he only does around town usage

I found the problem was I struggled to find someone that would fit them. A lot of tyre dealers refused to fit new tyres.... You see there loosing there 100% markup on the tyres, they are well aware people are buying them for a fraction of the cost online.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Tadpole

I have bought from Ozzy several times and have been very impressed. I put 4x 245/40R19 Kumho's on my C5 recently, and have had no problems at all.

Most tyre outlets in Adelaide quoted $400+ each for good name brand replacements - 4 tyres delivered from Ozzy were just over $800 and the local Beaurepaires was happy to fit and balance them, plus a wheel alignment, for under $200. An easy $600 saved.
    Chris

Current: 2008 C5 Exclusive HDI 2.7
    Former: 1994 BX 16 Valve, 1985 CX25 IE Pallas, 1979 CX2400 Pallas

Quote Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
    I have bought from Ozzy several times and have been very impressed. I put 4x 245/40R19 Kumho's on my C5 recently, and have had no problems at all.

Most tyre outlets in Adelaide quoted $400+ each for good name brand replacements - 4 tyres delivered from Ozzy were just over $800 and the local Beaurepaires was happy to fit and balance them, plus a wheel alignment, for under $200. An easy $600 saved.
    It sounds as if running $89 Bob Jane Specials on the CX is an amazingly cheap way of keeping rubber on the road. They seem adequate for my needs.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Extending on from this post. I am getting close to my first set of tyres for the C5 ( new shape). The car is very quiet on smooth surface roads but when the road surface changes to tar and gravel ( majority of Tasie roads) the tyre noise intrudes. The OEM tyres are Michelin Primacy. Any thoughts on whether to keep with Michelin or are there better tyres for this model. Anyone with experience with other similar cars ( in the same spec. bracket) re the noise transfer from rough surfaced roads.

I did ride in the back of a honda CRV and no conversation could be heard back to front unless it was yelled.

Am I being too fussy? Allan.

Yes I fitted Continentals to my 2010 C5 Exclusive. They were doing deals at the time and so far so good. Think they were supposed to be about $330 approx. The local rep made a mistake and I got 4 for $1000. They dont seem as noisy as the Michelins.

Quote Originally Posted by tasie C5 View Post
    Extending on from this post. I am getting close to my first set of tyres for the C5 ( new shape). The car is very quiet on smooth surface roads but when the road surface changes to tar and gravel ( majority of Tasie roads) the tyre noise intrudes. The OEM tyres are Michelin Primacy. Any thoughts on whether to keep with Michelin or are there better tyres for this model. Anyone with experience with other similar cars ( in the same spec. bracket) re the noise transfer from rough surfaced roads.

I did ride in the back of a honda CRV and no conversation could be heard back to front unless it was yelled.

Am I being too fussy? Allan.
    I you weren't fussy you might own that CRV.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    It sounds as if running $89 Bob Jane Specials on the CX is an amazingly cheap way of keeping rubber on the road. They seem adequate for my needs.
    No way!

We have a set on the Fiesta - in the wet, the handling is down right scary. Never driven a car with such poor tyres!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information