Xantia Highs 'n' Woes on Xmas Day
  • Register
  • Help

Icon3 Xantia Highs 'n' Woes on Xmas Day

HIGHS

Had a lovely drive from Rosewood to Brisbane's northern suburbs on the night of Xmas, not feeling a damn bump on some of the worst asphalted and narrow roads in the backwoods of the Lockyer Valley. The 2.0 8v auto on the open (and less narrow) road had no problem topping 170km/h much to my surprise. The Mrs didn't want to take the Xantia home as she ate too many cherries so we left in hers and I left the ID in a country shed to collect at a later date.

I was amazed at how brilliant this car can drive over a reasonable distance. It always felt a little stiff and boring around town, so I thought maybe things would change on a late night highway with little to no cars around me. And I was right.

WOES

I start the Xantia in Rosewood and I notice the ABS light comes on and stays on. Figuring that I can easily drop anchor at speed on a '62 ID, this really isn't an issue, so Nicole and I drive off into the night.

As I was traipsing through Enogerra, I stopped at the Nightowl for a 'thirst crusher' and left the car running. As I went to reverse and leave, the steering felt ridiculously heavy - like when you're turning a CX and waiting for the DIRAVI to kick into gear. The more I went around corners and turned into streets and roads, the worse it got.

Finally, I pulled into the driveway and braked in front of the garage door and as I drove it into the garage where Harriet usually lives, suddenly I hear the hydraulic warning bleep like mad and STOP light kicked in.

Immediately I lift the suspension and check the LHM level and it's full. I check under the car and nothing seems to be leaking. I lower the suspension to driving height but I didn't take any notice of it dropping or not. I was tired by this time and went to bed.

Decided to check back on the car tonight and I grabbed the front corner and noticed some bounce. I check under the car and there's no leak under the engine bay or elsewhere. I jump in and start it. The buzzer goes off for a couple of seconds and the height corrects itself to driving position and the chirpy cheep cheep stops. I go to move the steering from lock to lock and it's fine - it steers as normal. I hear a slight squeak but that could be the concrete up against 1000km old tyres. And the ABS light remains on.

So what on earth happened (or is still happening) to Nic's Xantia? Any help/assistance would be great.

Advertisement
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

UFO

It knows you've got money in the bank.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

If I got this and plugged it in, would it be able to diagnose the problem, Craig?

1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

UFO

50/50 chance. Do reckon the 'goon effect would cancel out any thoughts that the car thinks you have money?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

The Xantia should know I also own an SM and therefore I have no money. Cost me nearly $120 to fill the tank the other day and I still had 15 litres left in it! First world problems!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    The Xantia should know I also own an SM and therefore I have no money. Cost me nearly $120 to fill the tank the other day and I still had 15 litres left in it! First world problems!
    The Xantia is suffering from limelight deprivation IMHO. Use her more and speak kindly about her when within earshot.

More seriously, erratic behaviour from flow divider perhaps after giving her a bit of a caning? Bit of junk from something (the REAL problem perhaps) stuck in it and now released? Are the filters in the LHM tank clean or checked recently?

I'll be interested to see how this evolves for obvious reasons. Good luck.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger

What shape is the accumulator in?

Regassed a couple of months back and LHM drained out and refilled with fresher stuff. Suspected ATF contamination at some point

ABS light doesn't come on and car operates as per normal.

The Mrs uses it as a daily driver.

I'd possibly be looking for a badly slipping damper, also check the auto tensioner isn't seized.

Failing that, the pump infeed sucking air through a small crack on the hose at the reservoir.

Fellow Frogger

Regassed spheres / accumulators can just let go. It's 62 Bar, so it would be easy to swap as a test if need be.
    This has the flow divider and not the split pump?? I'd expect the flow divider would reduce the supply to the steering first if the pressure was a bit low. How about checking the rubber pipe supplying the pump? Maybe, it's split and sucking some air?

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    What shape is the accumulator in?
    They're usually a kind of green ovoid...

Sorry, David, A setup like that is just impossible to ignore.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

I've read through boards in the UK where people have experienced similar problems and it varies quite a bit as to where the clues lie and many of you suggested the same possibilities. At the moment there's no warning lights on the dash and everything seems normal at this stage; so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Perhaps the 200km return trip was a little too much for the Xantia. As I wrote in the initial post, it did enjoy it....
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

I've read through boards in the UK where people have experienced similar problems and it varies quite a bit as to where the clues lie and many of you suggested the same possibilities. At the moment there's no warning lights on the dash and everything seems normal at this stage; so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Perhaps the 200km return trip was a little too much for the Xantia. As I wrote in the initial post, it did enjoy it....
    Funny, but my Xantia just flashed its hydraulic warning light for the first time ever. No symptoms of a problem, no leaks, level OK in reservoir etc. Stopped. Switched off, waited a few seconds and started up, no more red light! I have NO idea what it is/was. So, nothing to fix. Perhaps I should add "yet"?

Re yours, I'd remember to look carefully at the filter in the LHM reservoir sometime, or next major service when LHM gets changed. See if there's evidence of something breaking up.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Xantia Highs 'n' Woes on Xmas Day-hose.jpg

It would seem that air was finding its way through one of the mildly loose clamps in this photo. I assume this hose junction is not a factory fitting!

Accumulator is OK; the LHM filter and any other probable sources like split hoses at the LHM tank are nowhere to be found and not a hitch since (touch plastic).
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

All Xantias sold here have 6+2 pump. I think you have nailed it Donat. The original supply hose for the pump is known to fail. Ours has been replaced a bit different to the repair done to yours
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

JBN

This thread has jinxed my Xantia. The bum drops without warning. I replaced all of the main return lines (the one to the pump, the one from the pressure regulator, the one from the steering rack and a few others). This leaves me in the unenviable position of having no one to blame other than myself.

I am feeling so French at this stage that I might apply for a French passport (even though I can't act and don't have a high income).

John
    AKA Gerry Dercardude

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hose.jpg 
Views:	1202 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	38429

It would seem that air was finding its way through one of the mildly loose clamps in this photo. I assume this hose junction is not a factory fitting!

Accumulator is OK; the LHM filter and any other probable sources like split hoses at the LHM tank are nowhere to be found and not a hitch since (touch plastic).
    There is always a cause for every problem! More importantly, I'm glad you found what it was. No doubt you'll post if you find it wasn't that... Was there any external leakage from the joints on that suction hose assembly, out of interest?

Our Xantia is OK around town but comes into her own on trips (2.0 8V manual) where she is so competent. Excellent cars.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

No leaks other than what sits on top of the tank which I'm told is standard practice. The hoses going in/out are dry.

I'm still finding it to be lazy and boring around town, but I don't blame it as Brisbane is a stop start kinda place where traffic lights are rarely in sync with another.

Let's hope the Xantia curse has lifted for one and all.

Thread Information