Towing a DS
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Towing a DS

Fellow Frogger! Inspector Clouseau's Avatar

Default Towing a DS

Just about to head off on a little DS Christmas sojourn - sleeping in the Safari. It occured to me that I don't know the answer to a basic/dumb question: what do I do in the unlikely event that I can't get the car to start? I don't imagine a tow truck would help, nor a tilt tray. What is the recommended strategy for towing a non-pumper?
    Thanks
    Martin

Advertisement

No problem to load a dead one onto a tilt tray.

When I was a kid, I saw my parents push one dead one with a live one a couple of times. 40 miles!

Any Renault would be more than suitable for a tow vehicle...hope this helps.

UFO

Unless there is absolutely no other way to get around it, you should never tow a DS with only one set of wheels on the ground. The car will have no suspension and being the age that they all are, the resultant damage could be more than you wish to see.

A modern flat bed truck (the NRMA etc call them an "all up lift") will easily pull the D onto its tray. The towie should know to link their winch hooks around one of the front leading arms on each side. Once the car is on the tray then the straps can be put over the front wheels to hold it on. They should also only use the rear "tow" hooks as locators not tied down anchors unless you want the arse of the car pulled off.

The one time my D has been on a flatbed (while I've owned it) was because of a clutch linkage problem and I was not then confident to drive it home over many hills, through a busy suburb then up a freeway to home. However, I could start it, which meant that when the truck arrived I could life the car to full height preventing any chance of a scrape, but the towie said it would not have been a problem anyway.

Others will add more info I'm sure.

By the way, while some may bemoan the way the NRMA etc have become, their levels of premium coverage are well worth the price.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    You guys would have seen plenty of action towing dead Renolts, I guess your cardigans with reinforced leather patches would make great tow ropes too

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    You guys would have seen plenty of action towing dead Renolts, I guess your cardigans with reinforced leather patches would make great tow ropes too

Cheers
    Chris

AF definitely needs a "I really got a chuckle out of that one" button. There is enough "Likes" in the world with Facebook and Justin Beaver head and his wannbees.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

It must be stressed that while the D is dead it MAY have no power steering for long OR brakes....the brakes SHOULD be the last thing to go...... So it is imperative to mention that the car will not be able to be stopped or even slowed during any manoeuvering..so it will need to be "assisted" into position and out of position.
    The obvious lack of ground clearance can mean some underneath damage to panelwork and exhaust etc.
    Then there is the possibility of the steering lock being difficult to release as the steering will be stiff and hard to turn.

The NRMA man may not be aware of the DS's ability to keep all systems operational only happens with the engine driven pump actually pumping. In extreme cases it may be more useful to remove the spark plugs and tow the car in gear till height is restored ( and therefore full braking at least.) ...

And a "D'oh!" button would be handy as well...

Fellow Frogger! Inspector Clouseau's Avatar

Thanks all, very informative and fun. As for:
    'Any Renault would be more than suitable for a tow vehicle...hope this helps.'
    A Touche Button might have been useful too.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Well, DUH.....that is, if the Citroen you plan on towing isn't any bigger than 1/18
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

UFO

Good point by fritzelhund.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Of course if it was a flat battery problem and you could jack up one front wheel and rotate that wheel in gear manually with the ignition on, with luck it might start.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by alpine View Post
    Of course if it was a flat battery problem and you could jack up one front wheel and rotate that wheel in gear manually with the ignition on, with luck it might start.
    Mais non ! a 4 speed DS has a crank handle !!!

Even a BVH has a crank but 5 speeds and the B/W autos are not so equipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Clouseau View Post
    Just about to head off on a little DS Christmas sojourn - sleeping in the Safari. It occured to me that I don't know the answer to a basic/dumb question: what do I do in the unlikely event that I can't get the car to start? I don't imagine a tow truck would help, nor a tilt tray. What is the recommended strategy for towing a non-pumper?
    Thanks
    Martin
    Apart from all the jocules, isn't there a wheel bearing issue too? I'm sure I've read somewhere that they can be damaged if the car isn't strapped down. If anyone knows, and can explain why, I'd be very interested to know.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hello, there is a sticky on the Citroen Car Club forum

http://www.citroencarclub.org.uk/dru...php?f=6&t=5027

The UK forum is open to all now, just have to register

Fellow Frogger!

I have only ever payed for sex once.
    Many moons ago i received a late night 'booty call' from an ex-girlfriend at around 1am, I jumped into the DS and screamed across town as fast as the old girl would take me.
    Let's just say she was well prepared and I was in for a real treat.
    After a few hours sleep she got up and went to work and I got to sleep in, perfect right!
    I left just before 10am as i had parked in a clearway that was about to start. I walked out on to the street only to find a tonne of traffic and no DS !?! Well the clearway ended at 10am and not started, I guess my mind was bent on something else tithe time.
    The guy at the impound couldn't understand why I was so happy with myself. I asked him how they moved it, off the back of the truck with the front wheels off the ground... I looked underneath, no obvious damage, but I did have to repair the bump stops years later...
    After the taxi ride and impound fee the night cost me $480, money well spent!

Harley

Now that's a proper reminiscence!

Got any pictures?

By the sounds of things, the DS kept it up all night (for it to be towed the next morning). Great story.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Bet YOUR spheres were flat after a night like that!
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Thread Information