Bent and melted DS3
  • Register
  • Help

Default Bent and melted DS3

Does anyone know what happened to this vehicle?http://www.pickles.com.au/damaged/it...ack/1202170782

Advertisement
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    Does anyone know what happened to this vehicle?http://www.pickles.com.au/damaged/it...ack/1202170782
    Errr, I don't see any fire damage. I was all set with a smart assed remark about how BMW design 'language' was described as "flame surfacing", so Citroen responded with "flame broiling".

Looks like a simple accordion accident. It didn't pop the airbags, so here it would be considered a salvage rebuildable wreck. I am curious why the entire radiator support section is missing.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger

It's probably had a double ender shunt of some kind. The curtain airbags have deployed, so it may have had a fairly severe change of direction unless the airbag went off due to the heat that melted the mirrors??? I'd guess the radiator support is missing because it was removed to assess the damage and it may have bent the rails in a way that makes it uneconomic to repair. Another possiblility is that it had a simple crash, was being repaired and there was a panel shop fire, which might explain the heat and smoke damage present without a lot of flame scorching. Probably best to ask Pickles how it ended up there. There's not really a lot left on it for wrecking.
    Last edited by David S; 24th December 2012 at 07:45 PM.

It's seemingly popped the curtain airbags, melted the door mirrors and the plastic on the trailing edge of the driver's door, looks like it's melted the plastic piece at the base of the A pillar, and I wonder if the bumpers are missing because they also melted?
    Last edited by Bruce H; 25th December 2012 at 12:05 PM.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    It's probably had a double ender shunt of some kind. The curtain airbags have deployed, so it may have had a fairly severe change of direction unless the airbag went off due to the heat that melted the mirrors??? I'd guess the radiator support is missing because it was removed to assess the damage and it may have bent the rails in a way that makes it uneconomic to repair. Another possiblility is that it had a simple crash, was being repaired and there was a panel shop fire, which might explain the heat and smoke damage present without a lot of flame scorching. Probably best to ask Pickles how it ended up there. There's not really a lot left on it for wrecking.
    Now that I'm not trying to look at the pics without glasses, yah, your explanation fits pretty good. That's what I get for being sleepy, stupid and blind.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

VIP Sponsor

Hi Bruce, having viewed same pics I can't see any fire damaged in vicinity of bumpers. I. Would suggest front and rear bumpers were removed to assess extent of damage, in order to prepare quote to repairs, after which the Insurance company decided to 'write off' and auction wreck for salvage.

It doesn't take much for a statutory write-off in NSW. Busted headlight and broken bumper on a five year old car seems to do the trick. Despicable, as it takes the market accessibility out of many otherwise perfectly good (ie; safely repairable) cars - the legislative tool has been twisted into an object of extortion.

Looks like the rear wheel arch liners could be a bit melted, and the rear wiper blade has melted, and the internal mirror has dropped out of its casing (possibly when the airbags exploded), and there's something melted across the middle of the roof. Yet from photos the paint generally looks ok, and the tyres are holding air. I can't tell on the screen I'm using whether the under-bonnet is showing signs of melt or not.
    Agree with David that it looks like it's been in a burning building post the accident.

Anyone know if the NSW statutory write-off situation has had any effect upon prices paid at auctions and purchasing practices - the market for parts like panels must surely be changing?

This one may have up-spec seats, so it may have also had the rear park assist, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to get those bits off it
    Last edited by Bruce H; 25th December 2012 at 12:15 PM.
    Bruce H

Yes, for cars not readily transported interstate (ie, non-runners) or of low overall value the hammer fall prices have dumped. I have seen beautiful, eminently fixable cars go for a few thousand when they would be $60K upwards new.

However, wreckers still want to make a quid so ostensibly the supply costs are the same and attention to detail the same or less (meaning the parts you buy will usually be more damaged than desirable). Usually better to buy in person so long as you have a tow lined up who is familiar with the yard and their methods. Reliable sources tell me the process is corrupt and at some saleyards the big buyers pull rank and an auctioneer will refund your winning bid after unloading the car to someone else. Amusingly, the protagonists are not who the popular media latch onto.

My brother scored a CX7 for only a couple of grand. Abandoned car apparently, just needs keys now.

Is amazing what can be had for next to nix. And then you had a lot of those hail cars going for top dollar, just because everyone was there chasing a bargain!

Thread Information