DS Two Port Brake Accumulator Sphere
  • Register
  • Help

Default DS Two Port Brake Accumulator Sphere

Just wondering if anyone has one of these either ready to go or suitable for reconditioning...?

I need to find a replacement for the 69 as the sealing surface is unservicable.

You can use a three port with a blanking plug, but I would strongly prefer to use the correct two port one if I can.

Am I correct in thinking that they were only found on the earlier cars (sedan and safari)...?

Many thanks in advance - have a great Christmas....

All the best,

Advertisement

Mark...

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I have a fix for the weird DS accumulator setup that may work ..... Given it's all hidden, could you just plumb in a CX accumulator 'base'. Then you could fit any accumulator you desire. They did the same crazy sh!t for the brake accumulator on the back of the Xantias with a 6&2 pump. Rather than a standard sphere (no doubt to save 10cents a car) they had a special sphere made for it that you could screw a hydraulic line into.... Why not just fit a "base" for a standard accumulator like the CX's

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I have a fix for the weird DS accumulator setup that may work ..... Given it's all hidden, could you just plumb in a CX accumulator 'base'. Then you could fit any accumulator you desire. They did the same crazy sh!t for the brake accumulator on the back of the Xantias with a 6&2 pump. Rather than a standard sphere (no doubt to save 10cents a car) they had a special sphere made for it that you could screw a hydraulic line into.... Why not just fit a "base" for a standard accumulator like the CX's

seeya,
    Shane L.
    1. CX accumulator sphere does not work the same way. DS series brake accumulator sphere has a one way ball valve and spring.
    2. " just plumb", yeah right, given the different line diameter and thread sizes, that isn't going to happen.
    3. DS brakes accumulator sphere sits in a special bracket and the plumbing is specific.
    4. CX base and sphere is taller than DS. Of course a little more "just plumb" might be needed.

Having the correct 2 port or 3 port configuration is plug and play, if you'll excuse the pun. No funky plumbing, no throwaway sphere, no extra height to conceal.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by richo View Post
    1. CX accumulator sphere does not work the same way. DS series brake accumulator sphere has a one way ball valve and spring.
    2. " just plumb", yeah right, given the different line diameter and thread sizes, that isn't going to happen.
    3. DS brakes accumulator sphere sits in a special bracket and the plumbing is specific.
    4. CX base and sphere is taller than DS. Of course a little more "just plumb" might be needed.

Having the correct 2 port or 3 port configuration is plug and play, if you'll excuse the pun. No funky plumbing, no throwaway sphere, no extra height to conceal.
    Yeah I thought that might get a response To be fair, the CX's are a one way valve built into the base. You have three connections of varying size on the standard accumulator base, and only two connections on the "additional" brake accumulator fitted to aussie sold cars. The different line sizes would be the only thing stopping me doing it if I was stuck for a DS brake accumulator (none of the parts cars here have have a brake accumulator. DSpecials all have a trolley valve, yet no brake accumulator I would have thought trolley == brake accumulator).......

I don't like old brake accumulators, I've had one fail once in a CX ...................... Your talking 15+ second delays in braking. I think if I couldn't get a guaranteed renovated brake accumulator for a DS. I'd blank the lines off (or fit a dead flat accumulator there .... being flat, it can't leak nitrogen into the braking system).

I'm starting to wonder if all "D" spheres didn't came from the factory with vice grip jaw marks all over there filler plugs, and chisel marks in the side of them Didn't any mechanic in Australia own a strap wrench 30years ago What's got me buggered is all the main accumulator show signs of being "chiseled" too...... How the hell did they swing a hammer in that tight space

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

40 years ago very few mechanics would even have available to them a suitable strap wrench, full stop. Chisels were commonplace.
    Knowledge was scant. Even 20 years ago these tools were not readily available in the size required.
    Having the right tools today, readily available, guarantees nothing.

You don't need to swing a hammer on the main accumulator, just a long chisel!
    The metal is a very, very soft high lead, free machining steel.

It's the clowns who profess to "know" that belting around the hemisphere with a hammer will loosen the thread who agrieve me. Hammering actually deforms the thread, ultimately making the job of separation, as well as resealing more difficult.

The last few years have demonstrated to me the caliber of people working on Ds to be generally neanderthal in their approach and medieval in their practices.
    Fortunately, there are a few, who give me inspiration and challenge me to improve further.

Rant over.

Someone, please find Mark a 2 port brake accumulator.
    Last edited by richo; 23rd December 2012 at 10:56 AM.

Thread Information