GS Ignition barrel/key problems
  • Register
  • Help

Default GS Ignition barrel/key problems

Hey all,

Advertisement

Just having some issues with my citroen gs. Just lent the car to my sister and 12 hours later its broken! Apart from that i've had 2 years of trouble free motoring.....

Anyway,

The key won't turn in the ignition. Doesn't budge at all when trying to turn the car on. The odd thing is, the steering lock is not activating. This leads me to believe that it might not be related to the ignition barrel. Anyone got any tips/suggestions/ideas?

What would happen if I drenched the ignition barrel in WD40 and then tapped it gently to loosen it all up?

I'm clutching at straws here.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Try some graphite powder.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

The graphite powder was my initial thought. However, the RACQ guy my sister called out coated the key in WD40 and put it in and out of the barrel a couple of times. I'm just concerned with any residual moisture within the barrel and the addition of graphite powder will make a slodgy gloop. I'll give it a try anyway though.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Bit of an update, gave it some attention this morning & no luck with the graphite powder.
    I disconnected the plug at the rear of the barrel so I am wondering if anybody would like to donate a barrel to the GS cause.
    Please PM if anybody has one they are willing to part with for a reasonable amount.
    Thanks,
    Andrew

Fellow Frogger

The barrel could simply have worn out and the steering lock is not activating because it's either latched having had the key in or the steering column has not been turned enough to allow it to engage. I wouldn't assume it won't suddenly lock if you try to drive it as is. That could prove fatal if it suddenly locks!

It would be a Simplex lock like the ones used in DS and CX and they do suddenly jam up in old age. In a DS, you often see a hairline crack down the barrel where the key goes. It's probably just worn out inside and a worn key can't displace the worn tumblers inside the lock as expected. You might try your spare key, but it probably needs a new lock assembly. Getting it out of the car if it will not unlock may be difficult, but the steering lock may not operate if you leave the key in, which might help you. Another GS owner might be able to confirm whether the steering lock activates if the key is in the lock in the off position and the wheel is turned. It would be sensible to remove the lock assembly and temporarily start it using just the switch removed from the barrel.

Hi Andrew,

I have one that you can have. Just let me know where to send it.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by werdna View Post
    Bit of an update, gave it some attention this morning & no luck with the graphite powder.
    I disconnected the plug at the rear of the barrel so I am wondering if anybody would like to donate a barrel to the GS cause.
    Please PM if anybody has one they are willing to part with for a reasonable amount.
    Thanks,
    Andrew
    Cheers Andrew

Artisan - PM Sent (Thankyou very much!)

So there is a part 2 to this saga. In a moment of luck and stupidity, my sister decided to 'move' the car by pushing it. Little did she know the intricacies of the Citroen hydraulic system and that there would be no brakes... Luckily my parents car was there to 'stop' the GS before it ran onto the gold coast highway!!! So in addition to the ignition barrel being broken the passenger side headlight is smashed. Does anybody in SE QLD have any P/S Headlights they would like to sell/donate to the cause. I'm not sure if all these events are an omen to sell the car :S. Ill upload photos later tonight.
    Thanks for reading,
    Andrew

Would love to help, but I don't have a spare headlight unit or glass. You'll regret selling it, so don't get hasty. I did that with a cursed car and have felt bad for it ever since.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

GS Ignition barrel/key problems-6acb9ea8-7635-4b1b-bd72-ee9ed07d6838.jpgGS Ignition barrel/key problems-7f278624-e6c1-46c2-be6b-bfb53bd2fe76.jpgGS Ignition barrel/key problems-79aabd2e-fd97-41d2-a0fb-ebd15da91906.jpgGS Ignition barrel/key problems-454ff0fe-eb51-4533-870e-b45034447ab9.jpgGS Ignition barrel/key problems-830f302a-a2be-4a1e-9560-6909c401ceb2.jpgGS Ignition barrel/key problems-a7440fa6-3051-4da9-9a30-28399eb3311f.jpgGS Ignition barrel/key problems-c79c5490-a1d8-4c4e-937d-81f5d57b32c9.jpg

Photos of the damage

Can probably help with glass only if that would help?

Presumeably both indicator lenses are equally faded- there are usually pairs on Ebay.

Cheers,
    Andrew

PS, why so many Andrews with GSess?

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

Hi Andrew,

This is the ignition switch that I have.

Cheers,

Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GS Ignition barrel/key problems-image.jpg   GS Ignition barrel/key problems-image.jpg   GS Ignition barrel/key problems-image.jpg  
    Cheers Andrew

PS, why so many Andrews with GSess?[/QUOTE]
    Because we all have good taste......
    Cheers Andrew

Definitely a taste thing.
    P.S. Thankyou to everyone that has helped. Tracked down an ignition barrel & key.
    Just on the lookout for a headlight.

Andrew

1000+ Posts

Default Terrys locksmiths West Burleigh

these guys are good and quite reasonable ,dont know if they do mobile ,otherwise you may have to remove the lock, give them a ring

Thread Information