How Fast is your CX ?
  • Register
  • Help
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Default How Fast is your CX ?

I had to laugh when I spotted this:

This would *have* to be your average CX ........ Still runs brilliantly................... Checkout the broken guages, smashed dash boxes ........ and look where he's holding the steering wheel so it'll drive straight

Advertisement

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I had to laugh when I spotted this:

This would *have* to be your average CX ........ Still runs brilliantly................... Checkout the broken guages, smashed dash boxes ........ and look where he's holding the steering wheel so it'll drive straight

seeya
    Shane L.
    Oh my goodness. That looks like modern car and FAST!!! And sounds great! It is 1000x faster than my ID 19~!~

Quote Originally Posted by caparobertsan View Post
    Oh my goodness. That looks like modern car and FAST!!! And sounds great! It is 1000x faster than my ID 19~!~
    Arent' most cars almost 1000times faster than an ID19 I've heard CX turbos aren't hugely slow, who knows

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Arent' most cars almost 1000times faster than an ID19 I've heard CX turbos aren't hugely slow, who knows

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Ahhh True! But that video make me want to buy a CX

I wonder if they have anti hoon laws over there?
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by caparobertsan View Post
    Ahhh True! But that video make me want to buy a CX
    There was what a appears to be a really good CX turbo for sale on here recently.... You missed out They were never sold out here. If it's speed your after 24valve manual XM's are every bit as quick........ But were never sold here either

Those late '80's CX turbos are the last real car made by Citroen before Poogoe buggered them all up. I have no ambiition to own any Citroen made after the CX ....... However I could be tempted by a C6..... Especially one with a proper gearbox (before you ask, no they weren't sold here with proper gearboxes either).

There's been several really tidy looking SM's ( of all things ) for sale over the last 2years that looked like very good value for the money .... they'd be speedy'ish. Way out of my price range though Plus a 2seater isn't much good for someone that needs to fit two car seats in the back.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

SMM

Doesn't the speed of a CX depend on whether it is going up hill, down hill or off a cliff?
    SMM

Current Citroen - : 1997 Xm Exclusive Series II, C4 Cactus

Previous Citroens: 2007 C4 VTR, 2006 C5, 1991 Xm Series 1, 1999 Xsara 1.8, 1988 Bx TRI

Quote Originally Posted by SMM View Post
    Doesn't the speed of a CX depend on whether it is going up hill, down hill or off a cliff?
    If your ever in town, i"ll take you for a spin in mine ................ and let you decide for yourself
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

The specs show that a CX Turbo is not slow....

Quote Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
    The specs show that a CX Turbo is not slow....
    they only spec them at 168hp .... apperently standard cars chucked straight onto a dyno will be about 180hp ..... and if someone has messed with the wastegate ......................................

There designed as an effortless high speed cruiser as opposed to a car to drag away from a standstill with. I'd say the car in the Utube clip above has likely had it's wastegate "tweaked". It's said you can increase the boost to about 200hp very safety. Only the clutch suffers as it can barely take the 300Nm of a standard motor.

I'm happy enough to leave mine standard, you can't go fast on public roads anyway. They were probably the fastest car that Citroen had ever made for a while there. Pretty sure the little poogoe clones in the late 90's (Xsara VTS's ??) were more speedy though.

Driving a CX isn't about speed, it's about how the drive and handle. Having said that, there's no way I'd ever sell my turbo one

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Oh dear, you know I gave my car a wash last week!

On a less serious note I remember when I had mine on the road, you could be driving at 160kph, (is that 4000rpm? I can't remember) and it felt like you could almost open the door and get out...that is what we mean by effortless high speed cruising. it just doesn't feel busy at all!
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Spot on, Smiffy.

I can remember cruising at 100 miles per hour at 4000 rpm in my Turbo.
    Problem was it was a bit of a gas guzzler at that speed but oh so comfortably easy.
    Doug

1974 DS23 Pallas ( Carby Manual)
    1990 BX TZI Automatique

Pardon my ignorance, but would a BX 16V quicker than a CX Turbo? I know it's lesser in the HP stakes, but surely it's lighter than a CX!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but would a BX 16V quicker than a CX Turbo? I know it's lesser in the HP stakes, but surely it's lighter than a CX!
    pommy spec one will match it .... local ones wouldn't see which way one went. Gimme a CX anyday over a torqeless screamer ..... effortless performance is always better IMO

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Having driven a chipped BX and sat beside Alan S in his, they certainly do move (and rattle).

Never had the pleasure of being in a CX Turbo but I'd be interested to know how they compare to an SM
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Interesting aside, yesterday we visited my sister just outside of Canberra in the Picasso and on the way back the wife had to double check she had set the cruise control to the speed limit. She commented the car felt like it was going somewhat slower then 100km/h, we both travel on that particular section of road for our various jobs, she usually drivers her Colt but has also done the trip in our former Rav4 and I use a current Hiace and previously a Sprinter, and never has the trip been so relaxing. I can only but imagine what a proper Cit, especially a CX Turbo, would be like, the Picasso is known to have dodgy suspension tune, mine is likely to get Eibach springs to effort cure the unsettled wallow in the rear next year.

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    Interesting aside, yesterday we visited my sister just outside of Canberra in the Picasso and on the way back the wife had to double check she had set the cruise control to the speed limit. She commented the car felt like it was going somewhat slower then 100km/h, we both travel on that particular section of road for our various jobs, she usually drivers her Colt but has also done the trip in our former Rav4 and I use a current Hiace and previously a Sprinter, and never has the trip been so relaxing. I can only but imagine what a proper Cit, especially a CX Turbo, would be like, the Picasso is known to have dodgy suspension tune, mine is likely to get Eibach springs to effort cure the unsettled wallow in the rear next year.
    If you think a C4 wallows .... A CX is going to feel like a rolly polly marshmello that'll make you sea sick in comparison

They were a fast car in there day........ Now ?? A bog standard commonbore and fowlcan is faster .... The speed of fowlcans for the last few years have been the equivalent to 80's "super" cars nearly.

To give you an idea of performance compared to it's peers.... Here's on interesting website:

http://www.zeperfs.com/en/match2158-...-2551-1296.htm

they have gathered "real data" from all the road tests at the time and gathered here in the one place. Dunno how realistic the values are, but the CX's seem bloody close to reality. Check out the torque figures of the cars (not the hp which is comparitively very low for the CX) and you'll see why she's such an effortless old thing to drive.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Last edited by DoubleChevron; 23rd December 2012 at 01:26 PM.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Everyday living with the car in a rat-race city, the BX16v wins.
    However, for going on a long distance interstate tour with high speed roads, the CX GTi turbo is totally un-beatable!
    Having owned both, let me tell you....you get sick and tired of the screaming engine VERY quickly in a BX 16v.

It's too bad you guys never got the turbo diesel BX, as a long distance cruiser it's nearly as good as the CX!

If you think a C4 wallows .... A CX is going to feel like a rolly polly marshmello that'll make you sea sick in comparison

They were a fast car in there day........ Now ?? A bog standard commonbore and fowlcan is faster .... The speed of fowlcans for the last few years have been the equivalent to 80's "super" cars nearly.

To give you an idea of performance compared to it's peers.... Here's on interesting website:

http://www.zeperfs.com/en/match2158-...-2551-1296.htm

they have gathered "real data" from all the road tests at the time and gathered here in the one place. Dunno how realistic the values are, but the CX's seem bloody close to reality. Check out the torque figures of the cars (not the hp which is comparitively very low for the CX) and you'll see why she's such an effortless old thing to drive.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Ah this is true, but on the other hand a CX would hit a bump at speed and probably not even notice it while the Picasso would give a nice jolt, and the aforementioned Rav4 would have jumped and bucked all over the place!

JBN

pommy spec one will match it .... local ones wouldn't see which way one went. Gimme a CX anyday over a torqeless screamer ..... effortless performance is always better IMO

seeya
    Shane L.
    So basically the perfect CX would be a turbo diesal? All day 100mph at 30mpg, hills of no consequence.

John

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    Wallow??? A C4? The rides I've had in both Xsara and C4Picassos in France put them up there with To****tas for suspension refinement to my surprise and disappointment. Pretty average ride at best was my view, but certainly better than a horse and cart, and they seemed much too firm for the word wallow to come to mind. Seriously, wouldn't you be looking at better shock absorbers first before changing spring rates to something even firmer?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    So basically the perfect CX would be a turbo diesal? All day 100mph at 30mpg, hills of no consequence.

John
    At the time when these cars were new back in the late 1980's, I remember the estate version of the CX25DTR turbo 2 being sold with a sticker in the rear window boasting "The fastest diesel Estate in the world" In those days, I worked at a Citroen main dealer, and that sticker was put on at the factory! From memory, they did about 120mph, (190kph) which for those days, was very fast for a diesel...

The standard CX is a slug and disappointingly under powered in my opinion. The turbo makes the engine respectable and gives the CX chassis the power it deserves.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Thread Information