Leaking Height Corrector
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Leaking Height Corrector

Hi All,

My front height corrector ('92 BX 16V) is currently leaking like a sieve - to the tune of 200mL/day given a 30 km return trip to work. Having done a bit of searching around it seems that most (particularly Shane) are adamant this shouldn't happen. I swapped it over and the replacement is just as bad.

Advertisement

Can anyone enlighten me as to what may be causing this? Do I need a whole (brand) new item, or seal kit?

Cheers,
    Rob

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeRob View Post
    Hi All,

My front height corrector ('92 BX 16V) is currently leaking like a sieve - to the tune of 200mL/day given a 30 km return trip to work. Having done a bit of searching around it seems that most (particularly Shane) are adamant this shouldn't happen. I swapped it over and the replacement is just as bad.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what may be causing this? Do I need a whole (brand) new item, or seal kit?

Cheers,
    Rob
    You say the replacement is equally bad. Just where is it leaking from? Is it dripping or does it actually spray? You aren't trying to reuse old line seals, are you? It almost sounds like a cracked line.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

The leak appears to be from the rubber cover at the front end, although it could be referred from another point. If I recall correctly no other part of the unit was covered in LHM so any leak wouldn't have travelled far. It is dripping (not spraying) once approx every 3 seconds & appears to be a low pressure leak from the internals.

Fellow Frogger

It shouldn't leak, but it's only as well sealed as the state of the rubber parts allows. Have you eliminated the low pressure return lines as culprits? The pinion is above the front corrector in the BX I think, so it could even be from there.

Edit: It has a dust cover and a diaphragm at each end, so you could peel the dust covers back a bit and see them if it's wet inside, which would suggest a diaphragm is leaking. If you fitted a used corrector, then the rubber is likely 20+ years old and past it's best.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Me ??? I'm guessing the height corrector is NOT leaky if you have changed it and there is no difference. Rather the leak is elsewhere. CX's also tend to always drip leaked fluid from the height corrector. In my experiance it's never been the height corrector that's leaky though, it's always somewhere above it leaking down onto it. The leak could be a long way away, but it's running down hoses and across cross members to finally drip from the height corrector.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Virtually all return lines were replaced less than 5,000k ago, we (Cruiserman & I) have both had eyes on it and can't see any other potential culprit. With the exception of this one issue it seems to be more or less dry as a bone under there.

David, I had assumed that it was normal for a little fluid to be present immediately under the cover & so didn't give it too much thought at the time - couldn't tell you whether it was particularly damp or not. Are replacement rubber kits available from DS Motors & the like?

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

So it's not leaking really from the underneath, but is loosing lots of fluid? If so I'd be checking to see if the front drivers carpet is wet. If you leaking that sort of fluid and it's dripping beneath, it should be easy to suss out if you degrease everything then watch when it drips from. Dead spheres will also dissapear a lot of fluid from the reseviour too.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

The drip is coming off the front edge of the HC - no doubt about that. Apart from LHM blown from the HC and spread all over the sub-frame, the rest of the engine bay is largely clean.
    Last edited by LeRob; 19th December 2012 at 05:24 PM.

Fellow Frogger

The outer cover is just a dust cover to protect the diaphragm. The diaphragms are sealed to the corrector body by a steel ring either side. If the leakage (as opposed to a sweat) is coming from between the dust cover and the diaphragm, then you'd suspect the diaphragm and you might want to reseal a corrector. I expect it's the same rubber as for DS/GS/CX and they are available from ther usual suspects. You might try Roger Parker or ask here is you get caught out over the next couple of weeks.

Overall, if two correctors appear to be leaking, then there is a good chance it's elsewhere. Unless the donor corrector was previously removed because it was leaking. An old story ... You take the dud off the car, put it on a shelf and then it's the next least worst part you grab next time around! Doesn't fix the problem though.

Fellow Frogger!

The replacement was from an '89 that has been sitting on stands for some time. Not surprising at all that it would be in worse condition than the first, but worth a go at the time.

Thanks for the leads David, I'll look into it.

Well here is a link for height corrector overhaul.

http://www.eastment.net/hcrefurb/index.htm

I am about to give it a go on my GS. I have purchased overhaul kits from overseas.

Good luck.

PS. I do like the line on page two of the overhaul.

"Thoroughly clean out all the accumulated dirt and debris and wash the chambers in solvent or brake cleaner. In the picture below the pointer is indicating the graduated hole in nylon plug in the end of the damper chamber. This gets blocked by the dirt and debris making the corrector lazy and insensitive. "

Maybe my graduated hole is blocked and thats why I am lazy and insensitive?
    Regards,

Garth.

Fixin' Cit's and got the shits.

'15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by XM Mechanic View Post
    ... Maybe my graduated hole is blocked and thats why I am lazy and insensitive?
    No, I'd guess it's unrelated!

Remember to fill the corrector with LHM before fitting it.

Hello, I had same experiences as you with my 1961 Id19. It is not big deal at all. You just need to replace rubber inside. There are 2 of them in each H/C and yes outer one is dust cover and not that important ( Although I replaced mine with brand new ones).
    But installing of h/c was more difficult because of pressure pipes.

Thread Information