Xantia intermittent electric window
  • Register
  • Help

Default Xantia intermittent electric window

Back to the Xantia after many months without use, and the driver's window will ascend intermittently. It works, or doesn't work, from a variety of positions. When nothing happens there is no noise. When it does choose to ascend there is no unusual noise. Dirty switch contact? Easy fix? (As usual, my tools and spare parts are half the country away - sigh).
    Bruce, currently in Hobart.

Advertisement
    Last edited by Bruce H; 18th December 2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    Back to the Xantia after many months without use, and the driver's window will ascend intermittently. It works, or doesn't work, from a variety of positions. When nothing happens there is no noise. When it does choose to ascend there is no unusual noise. Dirty switch contact? Easy fix? (As usual, my tools and spare parts are half the country away - sigh).
    Bruce, currently in Hobart.
    That sounds about right at first blush. Does the window drop readily? Do all the other windows work?

Unfortunately, your easiest fix will be replace the switch panel. Try pulling the switch panel away from the door card, disconnect it, and if you can find a pathway into the switch, a generous amount of contact cleaner while you operate the button up and down. You can also try pulling the switch apart and cleaning the contacts- but you have to be really careful. Lots of little parts to go "SPOING!" and lose in the deepest recesses of the carpet.

As a last resort fix, you can bypass it with a (mom on-off-mom on) switch and a couple of relays as a get-you-home redneck fix, but it won't be pretty. If you go this route, PM me and I'll tell you how to wire up the switch and relays.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Hi Bruce, I recommend servicing the AC. Then no window worries.

Addo, I'm in Hobart! Compared to my norm, I'd be more likely to need to service the heater.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Hi hotrodelectric, it descends without problems, and the other one is fine. I think I'll just leave it and rely on the other windows until I can get home and pick out my spare switch.
    Bruce H

I have a spare switch up northen tassie free if you pick it up, im just 15min from the spirit of tas

Thanks for the offer, Balki, but I'll wait til I get the part from home.
    Bruce H

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    Hi hotrodelectric, it descends without problems, and the other one is fine. I think I'll just leave it and rely on the other windows until I can get home and pick out my spare switch.
    No worries, Bruce. If you think I can help you once you're home, PM me.

Bill
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Thread Information