Berlingo TU3JP Reluctant to Rev?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Berlingo TU3JP Reluctant to Rev?

My Berlingo seems to me to be reluctant to rev freely. It seems to be in good shape with 155000 km on the clock but does not seem to develop much power over 3500rpm. I had thought that a little 1.4 motor would be happy at higher revs. It also on a long drag seems to hang on better if I back off the throttle a bit. I wonder if this is normal or is it just naturally as dead as a chop.It would be very painful with 800kg in the back I suspect. I know that it is underpowered but I thought it should be a bit better than it is. I replaced the fuel filter this morning but the old one was good anyway.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Regards Dennis.

Advertisement

Dennis, check the timing first. It's easy on these as the damper doesn't slip.

I'd then look at a blocked exhaust, either centre muffler or paralytic converter. You can get extractors for about $400 posted, which would undoubtedly help.

Fellow Frogger

Which fuel? It's meant to be 95 or better.
    Cleaned out the throttle body or tried a fuel system cleaner? Cheap and can't hurt.
    You'd get an engine warning if the ECU detected a problem with the oxygen sensor, but they do age. In some markets, parts like that are meant to be a service item after umpteen thousand miles.

There's a genuine oxy sensor for $80 on Fleabay last I looked; a mate of Peter T is selling it.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the thoughts.I have been using +10 which I used in my 306xsi and found that it ran as well as it did on Premium but I should try Premium in the Blingo first I guess. Thats the easiest start. With the timing I thought that it was controlled by the CPU and as such was not adjustable ??? The extractors would be good but what about the dreaded pollution setup with no pussy cat???? Once again thoughts would be appreciated.
    Regards Dennis.

Hi Dennis, I meant the cam timing. My comment wasn't presented clearly.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Hi Dennis, I meant the cam timing. My comment wasn't presented clearly.
    Addo I would have thought that cam timing would make it worse than it is, Does yours rev happily ? I put some 95 in it yesterday but that has done nothing for it. Maybe I expect too much or maybe (as I have thought before) the 95 is pretty much the same as the 91, the only difference is the number on the bowser. Maybe 98?
    Regards Dennis.

Mine will happily rev past the peak torque RPM in gears 1-4; not sure if I tried in fifth as I frequently drove on wet roads and was well-loaded. No idea on actual RPM as it doesn't have a tacho. It's going to be February before I can road test it any more.

Default Petrol Berlingo performance

Hi there - from memory mine (a 2005 model with 55k on the clock) has always seemed a very zippy thing that's happy to rev. It has been resting a bit though and been driving the Laguna more lately - will give it a run tomorrow and get back to you.

(That's the petrol one - the electric one that's here for a service is more fun!)

Cheers
    Bryce
    Who needs brakes? They only slow you down ....

DS

I only use 98 in mine. It is a gutless wonder especially with the a/c turned on.
    Citroen Car Club of New South Wales member.

My Citroen ID21F can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/frontdr...7605999522616/

Fellow Frogger!

Just an update to this thread. I changed the Catalytic Converter on the Berlingo and it did help a bit but after a bit of prompting from my knowledgeable brother and remembering Addo's comment earlier in this thread I checked the Valve timing and Bingo! the Cam was advanced one tooth. I can only surmise that the last cambelt change (before I got it) the fitter had goofed. They have an odd sort of tensioner pulley that could be problematic if the fitter did not know how to locate the cam and flywheel and was fiddling with the tensioner. Anyway it is now running as I would expect it to . It is still no a free revver but it pull appreciably bettter than before.
    Regards Dennis.

Thread Information