Current shape / model C5
  • Register
  • Help

Default Current shape / model C5

Hi all I sold my early model C5 HDI after basically rebuilding it as the gearbox warranty was getting close to expiry and it had been back so many times I just wanted out
    I have noticed the new shape C5,s are getting really affordable now second hand and was wondering any owners out there having any complaints preferably higher kilometre owners please as I will be doing some very big k,s in the car
    I noticed a 2009 model with 50 on the clock from a dealer for 20 grand drive away on carsales
    The only thing I don't like about the new model is the boot the hatch on the earlier models was a brilliant idea you could put so much in the boot and easy access to it as well that's my only dislike about the new model shape the rest of the car is beautiful and considering its drop in value makes it a good second hand car purchase only if I don't have to rebuild the whole car again
    honest opinions please not rose coloured

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

I assume you are after a 2.0 Hdi. There are other configurations, but the 2.0 Hdi is most common and probably the most sensible choice from the used fleet. If you are looking at later examples, if the VIN has RHH in it rather than RHR, then it has the upgraded engine, which was more powerful and used less fuel. The gearbox is the AM6 as used in various other makes/models with a much better service record than the AL4. The Tourer versions give little away to the sedans in appearance and are more useful, so they are worth considering. The Exclusive Tourer's electric tailgate is a neat party trick, but also a practical feature. The roofline is lower and the cabin feels less roomy than the previous model, but they are comfortable and quiet. Few problems other than potentially leaky struts, fuse boxes on some earlier examples, brake switches and trim issues. There were a few recalls on earlier examples, so check they were completed on any car you buy. Tyre/brake appetite seems to vary depending on driving (search the forum) and the tyres can be expensive with the bigger rims. The electric handbrake unit is very expensive to replace if broken, so you want to make sure it works.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by C5boy View Post
    The only thing I don't like about the new model is the boot the hatch on the earlier models was a brilliant idea you could put so much in the boot and easy access to it as well that's my only dislike about the new model shape the rest of the car is beautiful and considering its drop in value makes it a good second hand car purchase only if I don't have to rebuild the whole car again
    honest opinions please not rose coloured
    C5boy, I agree a hatch would be preferable (and I have had a couple of examples of items that would have fitted in the interior of the car nicely but I just couldn't squeeze them through any of the available orifices...) but the interior does have the advantage of rear seats that fold completely forward (bases too) leaving a large completely flat rear floor. I regularly have full sized bicycles in the back of mine (one wheel removed) with the rear seats only half folded forwards.

For me, the main annoyances have been the turbo lag (this is in the 6 cyl, the 4s from memory of a couple of test drives are better - although the 6 is great once its up and running), city fuel consumption (again, the 4s are no doubt better than the 6) and the lack of bluetooth (much talked about on here already - crazy in a car with an expensive inbuilt audio/sat nav/telephone system).

Otherwise, have been very happy with mine.
    Chris

Current: 2008 C5 Exclusive HDI 2.7
    Former: 1994 BX 16 Valve, 1985 CX25 IE Pallas, 1979 CX2400 Pallas

I have a 2011 Exclusive Tourer, which replaced a 2008 Comfort Tourer, which replaced a 2005 facelift wagon.
    Reason for replacement was all about the leases, not the cars.
    However, my spouse really disliked the 05 because it was gutless (petrol-engined).
    The 2008 had an odd problem early in its life involving the car giving me bogus distress messages.
    This turned out to be a battery or fuse problem.
    Otherwise nothing wrong with the car at all, except for the lingering issue of the lack of iphone connectivity and bluetooth.
    I like the current one very much, and this time I'm planning to keep it past the end of the lease.
    My preference would always be a wagon, and the electric opening thingy is very good as long you're careful about which button you press on the plip.

Thanks Everyone for the feedback so far

I wont be getting the 6 cylinder HDI

I like the diesel 4 cylinder engines the one that was in my last C5 was a beauty

I bought Freddo with 145,000 k,s and sold it with 280,000 k,s all done in 3 years if the gearbox warranty wasn't about to expire I would have kept it but nearly 10 grand in gearbox costs over the time I owned it really hurt knowing my luck the young couple I sold it to will have years of trouble free motoring as for the lag in diesel engines I fixed that in the C5 it was the EGR once removed the car went so much better and in the the C5's replacement a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD it also had a bit of lag so I had a flash tune done that also switched of the EGR as it was electronically controlled I will be doing a flash tune on the next diesel I get as well it just transformed the car my Jeep will blow of a stock V8 falcon or commodore from the lights if I want and can tow 3.5 tonnes if needed

I wont be getting rid of the Jeep Just want to add another car to the family fleet as I have a supercharged Jaguar XJR that I want to put away and after owning a DS when I was young in Holland and never forgetting the way it drove and went
    I always had a soft spot for Citroen's then after owning the C5 I fell in love with that suspension all over again there is not a car on the market that can compete with the ride of these cars
    Rolls Royce and Bentley use the active ride suspension under licence from Citroen that is why they ride so well difference is cost
    I even had a dream wonder if it could be possible to graft the active ride suspension onto the Jeep
    I know that sounds crazy but I took my old C5 through the floods up here in Queensland a couple years ago the and just lifted it up and waded through where 4wd cars feared to go the look on the faces of guys driving 80 plus grand cruisers when the little Citroen drove through the floods was a proud moment and the the thing I like about the Jeep is it has a Mercedes V6 Crd engine and gearbox and front suspension without the ML price tag handles very well for a big car and very roomy when travelling as I am 6,3 tall and the wife 5,10 tall I like big cars!
    The old C5 was very roomy for a mid size car the amount of stuff we could fit in the boot was amazing great for travelling I will start to look at the tourer's just thought nice to have a sedan again but from what I have read on the forums the tourer's are the go for space

Thanks again for the reply's I have missed this forum Citroen people are a friendly bunch this forum helped me so much when I had problems with my old C5
    merry Christmas

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Good on you C5 boy, and Joyeux Noel to you as well.

I live not far from you, being near Ormeau.
    How did you remove the EGR on yor old C5, I maybe interested in doing that myself....
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by C5boy View Post
    I even had a dream wonder if it could be possible to graft the active ride suspension onto the Jeep
    You could start by seeing if you can find a way to use a front strut assembly in place of a coil spring in the Jeep, assuming that's what lives under it. BX can be stripped down, but later struts are sealed units to my knowledge. Pugs and Citroens share the same basic platforms, but come with different suspension kit, so it would be theoretically possible to change the hydrailics for coils. In the XM, that would eliminate the biggest problem, being the strut tops. The current C5 shell can take either coils or hydraulics. For the hassle and likely cost involved, it's probably cheaper just to keep one of each!

There's a 2010 Exclusive Tourer on CarSales for $25K, but high kms for a recent car. Pretty sure it's at the Parramatta dealer in Sydney, who are apparently dropping Chery, Great Wall and Citroen by 31/12. Possibly worth a look.

UFO

Here's your example for future thought. It's been done many years ago in Canada. I suppose with a large garage and long winters your imagination can come up with all sorts of ideas.

http://www.citroen-ds-id.com/ds/Landrover_with_Cit_Suspension.html
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

That's a mad land-rover
    I just love the ride of the Citroen's that old C5 we had apart from the rotten AL$ gearbox she was a beauty when I bought it for my wife she hated it said what have you bought me now within a month she loved it handled really well very econimcal very roomy to as I am 6,3 tall she 5,10 first car I didnt hit my head on the roof I could actually have the seat on its highest setting furtherst back vary comfy we did so many interstate trips with it just that gearbox otherwise I would have kept it

I just want another car for me to drive don't want to use my XJR jaguar to much getting to many k,s on the clock already at 240,000 thats why I have been looking at the latest generation C5 they are very good value for money considering what they cost new and what they are going for now
    I think the next one will be an exclusive but want a 4 cylinder HDI engine got enough big engined cars already

The EGR on my early model C5 was a mechanical unit I just remeoved it plus the egr cooler pipe made some blanking plates hey presto the thing never went better

Thread Information